1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod News Thread.

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Thought it'd be quite interesting to have a news thread dedicated to iPod news. If you find any, and it's good, feel free to post it, as I for one, would like to know :)

2. Lethal_B

[bold]RIAA warns consumers of selling pre-loaded iPods[/bold]

The Recording Industry Association of America is warning consumers that it is illegal to sell a used iPod that is pre-loaded with digital content. “Selling an iPod pre-loaded with music is no different than selling a DVD onto which you have burned your entire music collection,” the RIAA said in a statement to MTV News. “Either act is a clear violation of U.S. copyright law. The RIAA is monitoring this means of infringement. In short: seller beware.”

Andrew Bridges, a lawyer who specializes in copyright and trademark law, says the law is not so clear. “It really depends on the individual circumstances,” he explained. “I’m not sure the law is settled. If I’m a college student and I want to supplement my income by buying 100 iPods and taking my CD collection and putting it on those iPods and selling them at a significant premium, that’s probably not going to fly. But if I’ve had my iPod Shuffle for two years and I’m tired of it and I go out and buy a 60 gig video iPod and want to sell my old Shuffle, but don’t want to purge the music first, that’s probably legal.”

“There is very clear provision in the statute that says that if you are in possession of a copy that has been lawfully made, you can distribute that copy without violating the copyright holder’s copyright,” said Bridges. “That seems to suggest that there shouldn’t be a case against a casual user disposing of copies they made for personal use when one is getting rid of one’s own iPod.”

RIAA President Cary Sherman disagrees. “Unlawful reproduction or distribution is infringement.” he said. “There is no fair use when someone is getting a complete copy of a work, especially a creative work and especially when it could have an adverse impact on the marketplace for selling or licensing that work. When you buy a CD, you have it for personal use on your computer or iPod, but you can’t give it away and keep it for yourself. That’s having your cake and eating it too. If everyone did that, [record labels] would only sell one CD.”

(credit to ilounge.com)

3. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Anyone see/ or hear about the new 6th gen iPod Video with the whole unit as a screen with a virtual clickwheel? Looks kind of cool but is not practical. The screen would probably get smeared/scratched and apple would get more lawsuits filed against them. It just doesn't seem like an iPod and probobly takes a lot of battery + pricey.

4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Apple is comeing out with a 1GB Nano... will cost $150 1GB Shuffle will go down to $100 and 512MB Shuffle will be $69

5. Lethal_B

[bold]Apple's attempt to protect the Nano from scratches?[/bold]

[​IMG]

It is rumoured that new iPod Nano has raised edges to prevent scratches. There is no official word on this from Apple themselves, but the raised edges have been noted and confirmed by numerous customers and by Apple Genius Bar staff.

In the picture shown the raised edge is clearly visible. The raised edge is not found on any other iPod models including older iPod nanos.

What do we think of this? In all honesty we can't see it being very effective at all. Scratches are often caused by small sharp objects such as keys or coins (objects regularily found in pockets) for example which are not going to be stopped by a slight raised edge. The raised edge will have most effect when the iPod is on a table face down, not something which any of my iPods have been scratched by. Oh well, at least it's a step in the right direction, how about a scratch resistant material next time Apple?

6. Lethal_B

I wish apple would sort out the scratches saga. It wouldn't be a lot of effort to gloss the finish & prevent the iPod looking like it's a year old after just a couple of days..

7. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

8. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Mix: Swimsuit videos, Aussie death, Walkman phone, 7-Eleven

Apple’s iTunes Music Store this week will begin selling eight specially produced Sports Illustrated swimsuit videos for $1.99 each.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports: “An Australian woman was knocked off her bike and killed in a London street, possibly because she couldn’t hear traffic noise because of her iPod music device, friends say.”

Sony Ericsson has introduced the new W950i Walkman phone, which features 4GB of built-in flash storage, Symbian OS, Bluetooth and AAC and MP3 support.

IFO Apple Store has posted a photo of iPods being sold at a 7-Eleven in Japan. The display includes 5G iPods, iPod nanos, iPod shuffles, and iTunes Music Store gift cards.

Info by iLounge

~Domreis

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

@ nitrous3

That would be wonderful! I bet it would! If you do getit try it out and tell us ho it goes!

~Domreis

10. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

any1 have any pics of 6th gen. ipod video or a site that tells about it?

11. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

nitrous--
    the thing about that is that you would have to do it around the click wheel and it seems that it would be hard to put that stuff on neatly.
    the best thing for it I think would be the stuff that i bought from this site-- http://www.radtech.us/Products/ClearCal.aspx
    it works awesome and hides already existing scratches.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006
  12. Lethal_B

[bold]iTunes 1 billion song countdown[/bold]

Apple are ever closer to the milestone of one billion songs downloaded through their itunes music store. The tally at this present moment stands at about 974 million downloads.

Apple are giving away an iPod nano for every 100.000th song downloaded, and the lucky person who scoops the billionth download will receive a 20-inch iMac, 10 60GB iPods, and a $10,000 iTunes Music Card.

Full Story -[bold] http://www.apple.com/itunes/1billion/

13. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

thats awesome!

14. Lethal_B

Yes, but then if I think about it logically, the gift card would be no good because better quality, free music is already available on p2p/bittorrent. You can only use one iPod at a time, and the mac is not my preffered choice of Operating System. I am a PC/Windows man :)

If I won those prizes, I would sell 'em all on eBay :)

15. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

yeah but you can sell the ipods and still use the gift card to download tv shows and what not in the itunes music store. Plus, i can always use a 20" mac anyday lol

16. Lethal_B

17. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

PIMP!!! They will make so much money doing this because every one will download at the same time trying to win! I know I will!!!

~Domreis

18. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

-edit- Thanks lethal!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2006
  19. Lethal_B

I wouldn't download the crap they sell on iTunes. it is crippled by DRM and is [bold]so[/bold] poorly encoded. 128kbps mp3? No thankyou..

20. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

sry for it being sooooo big. dont know how to make it smaller!