1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod not loud enough!!

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by predhead, Feb 12, 2006.

1. predhead

predhead Member

been listening to rock for too many years.........the music i download to my ipod from itunes just isn't loud enough....have the volume cranked on the ipod mini to max...is there a way to have the volume set higher when the songs are transferred to my ipod?. ...... ( i even have a battery-operated amplifier set up between the ipod and my headphones and it STILL isn't loud enough!!! ).....thanks

2. CTProDiGy

CTProDiGy Member

Predhead,
    I don't think there is a way to make the volume of the ipod any louder. What you might consider doing is saving up for a bose ipod speaker. I have one and it blasts my system of a down cd's really loud. It also charges the battery. There are alot of different versions of the speakers by diff. companies. There really all the same.

http://bose.com
    : p

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Yes. you can make it louder. You can unlock the sound cap with iPodwizard. Also, Try encoding your music at higher bitrated for clearer, richer sound.

4. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

I dont have a way to check, but i think i remeber a way to make your music louder in Itunes. I beilive you can left click the song, choose info, then find music leaval (or something like that) and turn it to max. (I might be right, but i could also be dead wronge, just humor me and try LOL!)

And with the speakers you dont need special IPOD speakers! Ok, so the speakers and ipos arnt pretty together >< A pair of 20$ speakers does the same thing. I think the off color cordination is made up by the 80$ still in your wallet.

5. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

These are more detailed instructions about serpiroth idea

1) right click on the song(s) you want more volume on and press "get info".

2)Than click options.

3)You should see the bar that says volume adjustment and the bar should be on none. Move the bar towards the right that says 100+.

4)Than update ur iPod and the music should be louder.

Hope this helps.

6. Lethal_B

The most efficient way to make your iPod louder is to unlock the sound cap that apple put on the product using [bold]iPodwizard[/bold]

7. predhead

predhead Member

thanks to everyone for responding.............Lethal B::: how do i encode the music at a higher bitrate?........thanks again

8. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

No problem, srry i wasnt much help t.t

9. Lethal_B

serpiroth - you are one of only a handful of helpful people to pass through these forums. Keep up the good work. It seems this forum is being 'attacked' by people giving pointless & near useless answers, which is rather annoying.

predhead - To encode your music at a higher bitrate, you will first have to tell me which program you use to rip your music. Then I will instruct you on how to change the bitrate :)

10. predhead

predhead Member

Lethal B...........i am using itunes to import my music and transfer to my ipod

11. Lethal_B

Ok then,

Go

Edit --> Preferences -->Advanced (tab) --> Importing (tab)

Then, on the 'Setting' dropdown, click 'custom'.

Then set 'Stereo Bit rate' @ 192kbps

Check the 'Use variable Bitrate Encoding' box, and make sure the quality is 'Highest'.

Make sure the 'Stereo Mode' is 'joint stereo'. the other default settings are fine.

These settings will ensure you get the best possible quality from the iTunes ripper.

There are better encoders & rippers out there (Like the combination of EAC & LAME), but I am guessing you would rather stick with iTunes.. right?

12. david07

david07 Member

13. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

never knew you could do that lethal_B!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2006
  14. predhead

predhead Member

LETHAL B.......THANKS SO MUCH.......i do have another question though......what about music i already have on itunes? ( but no longer have the CD's )...can i re-encode these songs also?...or is it too late ( would have to re-acquire the cd's and start over).......?.......thanks again to everybody here!!!!!!!

15. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

highlight the songs that you want to change and right click-->get info-->then options-->then change volume adjustment to all the way up. this is the easiest way i know of for songs already in the library. hope it works! ;-)

16. Lethal_B

predhead - you could do as jazo suggests, but you would be better off re-encoding where possible. Increasing the volume of a poorly encoded audio file may result in distortion of the sound, and I am guessing you don't want that. I highly recommend you re-encode all of them (or whichever ones you still have in your access.

Nah, that would be a waste of your time and you would get little benefit. if you could re-acquire the albums you need then that would by far be your best bet. :)

You learn something new everyday pal. As ddp says, teach & learn! :)