1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod replacement

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by nunzio910, Dec 12, 2005.

1. nunzio910

nunzio910 Member

I bought a 20 gig genration four pod with the replcemnt waranty. I wanted to cash in on the waranty. i need a sucsessful way to break the thing so i can cash in on a new one. I need some method that can get me past the return people. I heard something about using a microwave??? any ideas.

2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Just get really angry, I'm sure something will come to mind ;) Honestly, I wouldnt try anything too risky. Soaking it in water...Ipods may have those little spots on the inside that change colors when they get wet, allowing the company to know if you damaged it yourself or if it was a technical problem. Putting it in the microwave...metal + microwave= sparks and housefires. Not a very good idea. Beating it with a hammar? I dont thing customer service people are that unnoticing, but you could always try it ;)

3. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Just run the battery down 20times in a row this is garanteed to work (chances are they will give you a 4th gen again because of the price difference)

it destroys apples crappy batteries (i have an ipod by the way love it to bits but the battery is CRAP)

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

I couldn't agree more. The iPod is great - the battery sucks. I charged mine less than ten times before it died (after a year) and refused to hold its charge. I think if you leave it long enough without charging you'll probably succeed in your quest.

5. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

Just out of interest do they (they being apple) even check to see if the ipods are faulty? When mine was broken a few months ago, they just sent me out a new ipod without any questions being asked.
    That was great when i had the latest model but now that i have an older model, would they replace it with a new similar-in-price-to-the-original -one (a.k.a. a video ipod for a photo one) or would they pull an older model from out of the warehouse and give it to me? (photo for a photo).
    Just wondering....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  6. nunzio910

nunzio910 Member

They took my 20 gig b&w back and replaced it with 30 gig video no questions asked. They no longer even had the photo models left. But i had the replacement plan and not the service plan. (talking about best buy)

7. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Dont check all , because thousands are bein returned everyday, most people have trouble with ipods , altough ive had no probs with mine
    :) yet

8. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

Sorry celticfc1, i don't know what you meant in your last post. Are you saying that they don't check any of them or that they do in fact check most of them to see if they are really damaged?
    Has anyone been hit with the $100 "diagnostic fee" and had their old ipod returned to them?
    Thanks in advance!

9. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

@neilm247

sorry , what i meant was they dont check all returned ipods for faults , however they check 1 in 100 they get so many returned they cant check them all , the newer ipods they dont check at all because they are so new there is gonna be probs but the old ones they check more frequently because people break them hoping for a newer model

10. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

Interesting... i posted on another forum to try and get more epinions on the matter and the following was posted,

"my 3rd gen was replaced when the 4th gen was out a couple of months.

So you will get a refurb or an old stock one."

what do you think?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  11. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Really depends what you list as the fault when you send it back to apple
    if they can repair it they will if not new ipod :)

12. ricster

ricster Regular member

The support staff really didn't try too hard to fix my problem. They just asked me "have you tried everything to fix it ?" and then pointed me to a web site to organise the return. By the way, my 40Gb 4th gen was replaced with exactly the same model (I was kind of hoping I would get something different). If it's a refurb then it's a very, very good one. It looks brand new to me - totally unmarked.