1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod scuff removal

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by 1773, Jun 23, 2007.

1. 1773

1773 Regular member

hey i got a scuff mark on my lcd screen by walking with my ipod in my pocket and my headphone up against it. i tryed brasso and that did not do anything. what would remove the scuff

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I would think brasso would do the trick. Unless it made more scratches, you didn't do it long enough. Jewler's reuge is used for polishing gems and maybe the abrasive in brasso. You do want to do this by hand a machine buffer may go through the screen. Many folks keep their pods protected so they don't have these problems.

3. 1773

1773 Regular member

yes it did create mroe scratches,are u sure that means i didnt polish for long eough?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  4. Mez

Mez Active member

No! That means Brasso is not the right abrasive to finish the job. It maybe too course. Go to a hardware store and get jeweler's rouge. That is finer. Make sure the Brasso eliminated the deep scratches. If not, continue until the deep scratches are gone. The fine grit will remove the shallow scratches leaving a smooth surface. The finishing step should be at least 600 grit if you can find it. The bigger the number the smaller the grit and the longer it will take to remove a scratch.

5. 1773

1773 Regular member

how long will it take for a deep scratch?and are u sure it will even remove the scuff?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  6. rammstein

rammstein Member

I know a lot of you don't really like E-bay, but they have some awesome ipod accessories real cheap. You can get a screen protector for a few bucks. One guy on there is selling 5 ipod items together for like $14. It comes with an aluminum case (which is really a nice case), a screen protector, a wheel protector and a couple of cords and adaptors for charging synching etc. it also comes with a buffing cloth for scratches. This dude should be paying me to put him out there. I bought this kit and put all this stuff into use before I even started using my ipod to make sure of no damage.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

ebay is fantastic if you can be a bit careful. You can buy stuff there that may not even be available in the country to live in. For some things you can beat the price. I put my ipod in a case before I loaded it with tunes.

1773, plastic is soft and easily removed by buffing compounds. What I would do is take the scuff off first. Make sure you have the correct grit before you go any further.

I can't give you a time since I don't know how deep a deep scratch is. I don't really know what grit you are using, I don't know how hard you are pressing and I don't know how fast you are rubbing.