1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPod Space

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by bahamr, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bahamr

bahamr Member

I have a 4 Gig Mini and it appears to have about 1.45 Gig that is being used even when I take all of the music off of it. I have about a 1000 songs in my library that total 3.6 Gig according to Itunes. But I can only get about 660 songs on it. Songs are imported using the AAC encoder so they should be compressed. I don't get it.

Ron

2. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

The 1.45 Gigs already taken up are for things that make the iPod run, I'm not quite sure what the more technical term is. But the software that makes the iPod run and read the AAC format and whatnot takes up that much space. A little unfair I think of Apple advertising 4 gigs when you can't quite use that much, but they arn't exactly lying to us.

3. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

I dont think that the 1.45 GB is all programs from the manufacturer. Have you tried reformating the entire iPod, not just deleting all the songs via iTunes?

4. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

There a delay of updating the ipod when you delete stuff off it , as soon as you start putting stuff on it , it will correct itself and if it dosent just update the ipod using ipod updater

5. bahamr

bahamr Member

You know, I thought that when I first loaded up my IPOD that it showed all 4 gb available. I tried installing an update to the software...is that the same as restoring? Is there a way to reformat the IPod or is this a no no?

6. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Yeah you can reformat the ipod , it wont do it any harm itunes sorts it out so you can put your music on it , theres not much that you cant do to it to be honest :)

7. Deznaj

Deznaj Regular member

I considered waiting for the Nano when I bought my Ipod Mine (6G). If I hear this I'm glad I didn't! With my Mini I can download a DVD at school (4 gig +) and take it home with me (poor white trash, no broadband at home :))!

1,45 gigs used for just the O.S??? Meaning you only have 2,5 gigs free on a supposed 4 gig disk...freaky! They can keep their nice little colour screen...

8. bahamr

bahamr Member

So, how do you format it?

9. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Go to ipod in my computer , you will see the ipod in removable hardware right click on it and select format