1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod trouble!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by j_df_16, Dec 25, 2005.

1. j_df_16

j_df_16 Member

I have installed the cd that came with the ipod(30 gb video), and i have itunes. when i plug the usb into my computer, it says that it can find the device, and it has malfunctioned, even though my ipod is connected to the usb. I have a emachine T6410. also, my ipod screen is stuck on the main menu, and it is dark, but you can still see it. I cant do anything with it. I tried all the restart methods, but it wont respond. I cant charge it because the usb doesnt work. do i need a memory card reader?

2. Manaxer

Manaxer Member

If i were you, i would contact apple and mabe you can get a free new ipod.

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

You don't need a memo card reader, but, yeah, Take it back if you cant get a response from it.

4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

Well to be fair, to me it sounds like either.... your usb is fooked, which means you could try another port.... but im guessing your not that stupid.... altough you did actaully Pay for an ipod but ahh well... noones perfect :p
    Or secondly the usb chip in the crypod is busted, therefore send it back to appple and they should return you a new one, Phone customer service first make.

5. SingingLu

SingingLu Guest

HELP!! I recently had a computer crash, but was able to transfer over my iTunes library to my new hard drive. When I tried to connect my iPod, it wiped out most of my songs, saying (once authorized) I could only copy over songs that I purchased from iTunes. I had almost 900 songs that I loaded from CD's in my library on my last computer. Why won't it recognize those songs in my ipod? It just scrolls through and skips to the next song that will actually play. (I still have all songs in my library and they do play on my computer, just not in the ipod) UGH!

6. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

This has also happened to me after I installed a new ipod updater. All I did was plug my iPod back into the library and the songs worked. If that doesn't work reset your iPOd by pressing the menu and center button for 6 seconds.

7. Bootzy

Bootzy Member

Hey SingingLu...
    Was your iPod sync'd to your original computer... If so that may be the problem... Your iPod can only sync to one computer and it may see the new harddrive as a new library... Did it say you are already linked to a different library do you want to change???

This is why you should turn the auto sync option OFF...
    That way you can go from computer to computer and download songs with no problems...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  8. SingingLu

SingingLu Guest

Hey Nitrous and Bootzy. Thanks for the reply. I tried resetting for 6 secs, but that didn't work. And yes, it did ask me if I was linked to another library and I told it to change. That's when it crapped out on me and wouldn't let me load all the songs onto the iPod. Can I just reset everything? As in uninstall iTunes, and reformat the iPod for the new hard drive? So you think that would work?

9. Bootzy

Bootzy Member

Let's try that reset again....

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10
    seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

10. SingingLu

SingingLu Guest

Bootzy, I was able to reset my iPod successfully, however, that did not solve my problem. Nitrous, I set my iPod so it will not auto sync, but then how do you update the iPod. The "Update iPod" in the drop down menu is not highlighted. Do you guys think I should just completely reformat my iPod?

11. Bootzy

Bootzy Member

You don't !!!

You have to drag all music or movies into the iPod manually....
    If you sync you run the risk of having this happen again...
    But this is better because you can travel from computer to computer and share your friends music...

12. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

The iPod updater can be downloaded from apple.com

13. redcape

redcape Regular member

could someone help? I have almost 20GB of music on my iPod. I am having trouble rearranging my songs in my playlist. iTunes will not let me do it. I can't copy all my music from my iPod to my computer cause I do not have enought space on my desktop. Any tips on how to rearrange my songs in my playlist?