1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Video freezes

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Peepin918, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Peepin918

Peepin918 Member

Latley, I've been playing a video on my iPod and everything is fine then it freezes. After 5-10 seconds it starts again but with no sound. i hit the select button and go back or forward 5 seconds and its fine, then 30 seconds later it freezes. How do i fix it so i dont have to rewind so much?

2. ACFD672

ACFD672 Guest

Did you recently update your iPod? If so, this is the likely reason. I have the exact same problem. My 60GB iPod Video freezes at exactly 31 seconds. It stops for a few seconds then the video continues with no sound. If I advance it forward or backward, even the smallest amount, the sound will return for about another 30 seconds and the cycle repeats itself. If you converted any video using programs like Videora or iSquint, you'll experience this. I've read that video downloaded from iTunes work fine but I haven't tested it. But, it all stems from the 1.1 update for the Video iPod. Restoring the factory settings doesn't work either. Buying Quicktime 7 Pro may convert video that actually works but I've read poor reviews on that program. I'm still trying to figure it out.

3. Feelflows

Feelflows Member

I'm having the exact same problem. It'sd good to know it's something I'm not doing wrong. This is a real pain in the *ss! Could it be for just long movies? Because videos work fine as do shows under an hour. Could it be a memory problem, because the mp4 file is so large?

Sean

4. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

I have a 30gb iPod and it too freezes on movies. I downloaded some public domain films and these play fine in iTunes but when you put them onto iPod, the right channel is full of clicks and the picture freezes and you have to reset the ipod. It freezes on any of the films at the same point in each film but can be at 3 minutes or 40 minutes (seems to depend on the size of the file). So I reckon it's a memory problem related to Vram or whatever they use for the display. I have heard other users have this so Apple will just have to fix it I guess. We don't all just want an Britney Spears video after all!

5. davepeck

davepeck Member

Dang, glad its not just me. I too have the same problem. All the downloads from Itunes work fine. I too thought maybe it had to do with file size, but ive tested that and even the smallest files freeze. I have tried 4 different ipod convertors and all of the converted files do the same thing. Its driving me nuts!! We need a fix for this!!

6. Feelflows

Feelflows Member

Another note. I loaded two eisodes of Seinfeld. Both paused after 30 sec. but then resumed with sound. So, it seems to be bigger files. I read lsewhere it's the firmware 1.1. And that we should insal the 1.0, but I'm not sure here to get it. I can't find it at Apple support

7. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

we do neet a fix! I don't think you can re-install the old firmware either! I bet Apple know about this but are just trying to make us use iStore videos. No no... wake up... that's just my paranoia working! The Films I have downloaded are legit ones from Library of Congress so they should work.

Oddly enough some work fine - even lareg files sizes but most do not. I am going to try something called Handbrake which might help... will let you know if it does in a few days.

8. davepeck

davepeck Member

Great, please let us know how the handbrake thing works. Come on...Apple wanting us to download only from itunes, a giant corporation would never be that sneaky......right????

9. davepeck

davepeck Member

Okay, your tottaly right about the firmware. I went back to the 1.0 firmware and my movies play without Freezing!! Problem Solved. After i went back to the 1.0 firmware it kept asking me to upgrade to 1.1. I checked no and dont ask again.

10. Feelflows

Feelflows Member

dave do you have a link to the original firmware. I cannot find the URL to the old firmwre

11. davepeck

davepeck Member

nope, no link here is the deal. Hopefully you have the old Ipod updaters still on your computer. You need the one from October.

Here is what i did. I went to my computer and then to Tools> Folder Options>View>Hidden Files and Folders> and clicked "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

I then pluged in my ipod and when mycomputer noticed it, I went my computer and opened the ipod drive.

Then i went to the ipod control folder or the folder that is somewhat transparent.

Then go to device and then click on sysinfo.

Choose Notepad as the program to open it with. Once you do that, go to buildID and change it from 0x06108000 to 0x051018000.

Once you do that, click save and then exit.

Once you do that, go to start>all programs> ipod>Previous updaters> iPod Updater 2005-10-12.

Then i hit restore to factory settings. It updated the ipod to the 1.0 firmware. After everything was put back on the videos played without problem.!! I did get the note my software was out of date, but i ignore that. Let me know if it works for you!!

12. bimbam777

bimbam777 Guest

Ok, so when you restore it to the older firmware version like that, will it erase all your songs/wipe your ipod clean?

if so, do you know of an easy way to backup your ipod?

13. OSUcowboy

OSUcowboy Member

what if when I click on iPod Updater 2005-10-12 it says that "the attached iPod model is not supported by this application"

14. OSUcowboy

OSUcowboy Member

nvm about "attached model isnt supported" now it just says that my iPod is up to date

15. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

mac users can't go to Tool and show hidden files - any ideas how we can get back to Updater from Oct 2005?

16. davepeck

davepeck Member

Sorry, dont have a solution for MAC. Also, not sure what model issue error is all about

17. DaraBabyD

DaraBabyD Member

I'm so Happy I found this forum because I too, was having the same problem - I even took my iPod to the Apple store - they exchanged it - gave me a brand new one -- I took it home and updated it with 1.1 thinking I needed to ... It did the SAME thing!!!
    After reading this forum - I knew what my problem was...
    HOWEVER---I did not need to go thru that entire procedure that Dave instructed.. I simply did this:

Plugged in my iPod - went to Ipod Updaters, Previous Updaters, found the last one, 10-12-2005 -- Ran the RESTORE function with that Updater ... YES it erased everything - but it put my iPod back to 10-12-05 with the 1.0 Firmware Version.

I then proceeded to load my videos back on my iPod & tested each one at a time -- they all play perfect again!!!!
    I thought I was going crazy - thanks everyone Hope my info can help someone else also!!!

18. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

19. DrHobby

DrHobby Member

Dear all: I may have the answer to all our freeze probs. You need 3 pieces of software first (all free I think). MAC THE RIPPER, HANDBRAKE, iSQUINT. First use Mac The Ripper to rip the 'Main Feature' from your DVD. Then use Handbrake to convert the VIDEO TS folder to an MPEG4 file. Then use iSquint (iSquint.org) to convert the MPEG4 file to an ipod friendly file. This has fixed all my problems and now I have loads of good quality movies on my 30gb ipod video. There may be a god after all! Hope this helps...

20. DaraBabyD

DaraBabyD Member

That's not the problem.. but thanks...
    I have the converter & we've all put movies ON our iPod - but ever since we ran the 1.1 update firmware -- the videos we already had was freezing every 30 seconds...
    Reverting back to the 1.0 software version fixed my problem completely -- I've never been happier