1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod video help....again.

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Ophelia_X, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

First of all I wanted to say that I'm a new member to this site, and I registered here b/c I've read some very interesting and informative stuff. So, great job you guys :)

Now, to the questions... Just like everyone else, I'm trying to convert a video file to my video ipod. 5th gen? Whatever the new one is. So, I downloaded an hour episode of a show from limewire. The file is MPEG. Not that I know what that means, I just know it won't play in itunes. It will play in windows.
    So, I took some read advice and downloaded Videora ipod Converter. I installed it, picked my file and converted it. I don't know if I was supposed to change some settings or not. It converted it to MP4.
    However, when I try to drag the file to my library, it won't show up.
    So, I'm sure there's some small steps I'm missing, I'm just not savvy enough to know what they are. So, if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Also, this is sort of a stupid question, but a friend says I'm going to corrupt my hardrive downloading music and video from p2p using limewire. She says it will pick up users' "trash" onto my comp, thus slowing and corrupting it..possibly eventually frying it. Is there truth to this?

2. dkmopq

dkmopq Guest

Can you play the MP4 files you converted using Quicktime Player?

3. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

I just tried and it says this:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

4. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

it depends on which song you are dragging into itunes. you could possibly be dragging the un-converted video file into itunes. go into videora and click on setup. then, next to "output videos to", see where the converted file has gone. open up the folder with the converted video, then drag it into itunes. it should work that way. hope it works! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006
  5. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

yeah I know where the file is being outsourced too. Luckily I was smart enough to check that it was the right file! :)

For some reason, itunes just isn't recognizing the converted file. I have noticed that when I'm in itunes and I go to import it gives me the choice of browsing for files with .txt, .xml, .m3u and not mp4

I don't know much about this so I don't know if that makes a difference. can anyone help?

6. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

go to file-->add folder to library. then it should appear in itunes. then, you can import it into your itunes.

7. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

I tried that and it won't show anything in my library...blah this sux.

8. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

hmmm....thats quite strange

9. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

Ok, because you helped a forum i was posting on i will help yours out like you asked ^^

My idea for you is to screw Videora. Get PSP DVD!

http://www.dvdpspconverter.com/ (that took a really long time to find :(

Free download is on the right.

There is a guide somewhere on this site, but i cant find it because i neaver posted on it. Lethal did though, so lethal can you go through your history and try and find it? It is pretty easy to use though. There is only one setting which is confusing, but it is stated which one to pick in the guide.

And i know "PSP DVD" it is not only meant for PSP. Well acually it probaly is..... but it converts the files to MP4 and if you pick the right resolution it sould work ^^

10. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

[bold]Ophelia_X[/bold]

Just try changing the name of the converted file to something short..

(you could always change it back once it is in iTunes)

Give it a go. If you have no luck, post back again, and I will assist you further.

11. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

Thank you guys, I will definately try those suggestions :)

12. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

You were right, Lethal, I just had to change the file name. It's crazy that something that simple can take so long to figure out! Maybe more people will read this, b/c I'm sure some are having the same problem. Thank you too, jazo and serp for your help. :)

13. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

Now, that I know I have it formatted correctly... what do I need to do to get it on my ipod? When I try dragging it, it says

"some of the songs in the iTunes library were not copied because they can not be played on this ipod."

Does this have something to do with the firmware thing you guys were talking about on another post?

14. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

You are 100% sure it is in MP4 format right? (not too be rude I just like to cover all the basic questions before i start working on the crazy possiblilities) And i dont think it has to do with the fireware problem. The fireware problem is more after you get it on the ipod.

15. Lethal_B

Yes, it does seem simple.. But that's what these forums are for. If you have an iPod/iTunes related question, post away..no matter how "noobish" the questions may seem :)

As for the dragging query, try just right clicking your iPod in the "source" menu & clicking update. If that doesn't work, please post back.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  16. LigerXZ

LigerXZ Member

yeah im troubled by this video on the pod thing too XD

17. Ophelia_X

Ophelia_X Member

Ok! It works... I don't understand the logic, but it does. Here's how...

I had checked the format of my file before ever posting, to make sure it converted. It said MPEG-4. After attempts at dragging, opening in itunes and wmp, nothing happened and I couldn't add it to my ipod. I saw serp's post and re-checked the file format. And for some alien reason it now said QuickTime movie file (.mpg). I was like "what the hell.." so I ran videora again and reconverted the file a second time. My new file now says mpeg-4 (.mp4). I dragged the file into itunes library and successfully added it to my ipod. I even played it a little on my ipod to make sure. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it seems to play fine.

So, I'm guessing doing the conversion twice may have fixed something. But also, I need to note that I uninstall/reinstalled videora before trying the conversion a second time..just to make sure I didn't have a corrupted download or something.. so I guess that could have had something to do with it too. I think I had my file name unchecked (under the name column in itunes) when I dragged it to my ipod. I know all of this is minute details, but I'm guessing every little bit of info could help someone else. We all know this stuff is crazy. :)

18. sidecca

sidecca Guest

just joined, as i've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out the video2ipod thing. have read lots of comments and i'm still not sure if i can convert a dvd (like hollywood movie) to get it onto my ipodvideo....and where to start.

19. jenn21

jenn21 Member

+same exact prob.

still havent gottin any videos/pix on this thing :(

20. Lethal_B

[bold]sidecca[/bold]

Your best option is probably DVD Decrypter + Videora, as it's free. There are all-in-one DVD To iPod converters, but you have to pay for them..

[bold]jenn21[/bold]

Have a look at my FAQ & Video guides stickied at the top of the forum for more info. :)