1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod vs Creative

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcodvd, Aug 29, 2005.

1. marcodvd

marcodvd Member

Hey folks....I'm about buying either an iPod or Creative MP3 player but some people (even sale persons) have told me creative is a way better plus it has FM tuner and voice recorder but I don't know about quality like wich one will last the longest or sound quality, any suggestions? thanks :)

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I personally wouldnt go for either one and will wait to see when something decent becomes available. I prefer MPC to MP3 as the quality is slightly better and I don't want to be another person who owns an iPod.

But generally, if you want a good looking player then go for the iPod but if you dont mind sacrificing the looks and would prefer something more user friendly and a player you can transfer your songs on and off on any computer (unlike the iPod which wipes the hard disk of your player) then go for the Creative.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  3. BobH29

BobH29 Member

First time post so here we go....

Relatively new to the whole MP3 thing but i've done a good bit of reading about the subject. Having researched both the Creative Zen Touch and the iPod i've just gone for the Creative player. Couple of reasons: its cheaper, a lot of reviews say its better, it supports more compression formats (wma for one) and finally, like weazel200 said, everyone and their dog has an iPod. I also like the idea of using it with more than one PC.

On the negative, there are many reports of problems with the zen, such as faulty ones freezing, but thats what the manufacture's warranties are for! That said, people who are very happy with their Zens far outweigh people who've had a problem.

The player hasn't arrived yet (end of the week hopefully) so I can't say whether i'm pleased with it yet but in anticipation i'm busy re-ripping my CD collection using LAME @192kbps (thanks AfterDawn for the wealth of knowledge).

PS: weazel200, aren't you missing two album covers, or are you no fan of Eminem's product (understandable!) and i hope you have listened to the b-side of WarrenG's Regulate single?

4. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I too am just getting in to mp3 players & also did a lot of research. I gotta tell ya, the more research you do, the more you want to just throw your hands up & say "I Give". You'll find good & bad on all brands. If you really want to see about Creative products go here.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=dap

I wound up buying the Zen Micro 5Gig. I really like it a lot!! Good Luck in whichever one you decide on & let us know how it goes. Also, you'll find that you get different accessary's at different places. I bought directly from Creative & got Belt clip, silk bag to store it in, Universal charging cord, earbuds, extra set of headphones, & 1 more thing that I can't think of at the moment. Point is, make sure you check to see what all comes with it.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I love my 20 Gig Ipod! Alot of the confussion stems from people that don't like apple just cause, poeple that need to sell ipod alternatives, and prople that just don't know what there talking about. At $300 the 20 gig Ipod color is the best deal. I don't know what other critics say but my ipod sounds excellent.

You just can't compare HD based players to flash based players. Yes HD based players have seek times (lag) that are annoying sometimes. But thats across the board. Yes HD based players drain the battery more than flash based players do. Thats also across the board. Its also true that not all products that are sold will be 100% glich free. There are alot of things that can go wrong. Just because 100 people have problems with the battery or screen or HD, doesn't mean anything! Not when you are selling 100erds of thousands of a product a year.

Its not about apple or the zen player. Its about the experience a product can give someone that sets it apart. The iPod is syle-ish, trendy, well known, and highly supported. Thats what you pay for when you buy a product. Right now noone, including creative, can match that deal. If they could, do you think there players would be priced so low?

Bottom Line: Quality Services (iTunes) + Functional Product (Mp3 player) + Infinite Flexability (FM tunners, Cables, Custom installations for Home/Car from reputable name brands) = Winner (iPod)
    Ced

6. BobH29

BobH29 Member

Received my Creative Zen Touch on friday so I've had a couple of days to play around with it.

Transferring MP3's from my laptop onto it was quick and simple. I used WMP9 as oppossed to the Creative software and transferred 16gig in around 2 hours. The Zen even ran out of battery near the end of the operation but retained all the files it had aquired before shutting down. No "freezing up" problems like many people are reporting.

I have just been listening to the unit for the duration of a 12hour night shift and am very impressed. Sound quality is very good (as i said in my previous post, I've just ripped all my CDs using LAME compression @ 192 kbs, althought the acid test for the quality of this format will be in the car) and I've had no "jumping" problems (I usually walk aroung 17000 paces during a shift).

Need to listen to the various preset equilizer options before i can properly comment on these but one definate negative is that the manual equilizer is pants, each of the four bands shows very little deference between max and min.

No remote included with the Zen (or FM tuner, which i've heard is intergrated into the remote?) is a pain, especially as I've got it in its case, wrapped in a plastic sealable bag, at the bottom of my pocket!

Bottom line: Very pleased with my purchase. Here's hoping that is still the case in 6 - 12 months time.

7. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

ipod is better

creative is way to expensive they are still using flash memory to store all of there songs on so if you end up with a serge during recharge of the creative mp3 players kiss your 300.00 creative piece of chunk good buy

ipod has the most accessories the most compatibility the most usefull software and plugin packages on the internet you can even run linux on it to you can't do that with creative

ipod is better hands down and the battery life rocks

8. Metlakon

Metlakon Member

Ok you can get creative for much cheaper than ipods the have more features like fm radio, voive recording, etc. The quality on creative is great i have one.. Go for creative!

9. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

creaaaative!!. i have a zen touch. got an ipod 60 gig only because i was outta room. the pod is a lovely versatile bit of technology. but the sound isn't great awful. unless u want to follow the trend id stick with the creative.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  10. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

What about the dell dj? Ive had mine for almost a year. The first one did freeze up alot, but they sent me a new and no problems. I plug mine into my work radio and i had it going for over a 11 hours one day and still had enough juice to listen to while I was taking a shower. I think its a pretty good player. No it doesn't come with a fm tuner or anything really, but thats why i bought it, cuz I get tired of the radio.

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I have an mp3 player (iPod) because I'm sick of radio. Who the heck needs a voice recorder?

I cant believe how good the iPod Nano looks! Its the perfect replacement for the iPod Mini.

Ced

12. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Ipod

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  13. sparky1

sparky1 Guest

Just got my creative zen touch 20GB on wednesday and can't believe how good it sounds and how user friendly it is,it works well in the car as well no skipping or jumping and at £148 compared to £209 for the ipod it wins hands down!

14. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

how did you get it for 150?

15. sparky1

sparky1 Guest

16. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

does this work for U.S?

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

got my Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox back in June, and i love it. it's a 60 gig player that i got for $285 USD...how's that compare to a 20 gig $300 player? lol, the things rock solid. i've listened to it while doing everything from offroading (big air) in a golf cart to weed-eating and running. it has about 14+ hours of battery life (i've never run out) and acts as an external hard drive to transport all types of files from compie to compie. extremely easy to use, and not that big...it's a lovely device :D

18. sparky1

sparky1 Guest

I have no idea as i'm UK based, sorry

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

http://www.newegg.com

that's where i got my Nomad, rihgt, and i bet they have a deal on the goody you're looking for, as well.

20. sbaron178

sbaron178 Guest

get a free ipod nano here hehe I'm banned ...black or white and 4 gb

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005