1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a PSU safe outside its metal box?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by navi95, Sep 8, 2004.

1. navi95

navi95 Regular member

Hi,

I got a project goin which is basically putting a PC inside an spare XBOX case. Im using my old 800mhz system since I only want to use it for emulation (n maybe sum old skool games like quake 2) and watching films. Problem is the PSU is a tiny bit big so I took it apart so I can place it inside it just like that but I dont no wether its safe for the rest of system.

Any replies would b great,

Thanx

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

It will be ok as long as no metal is touching the psu components.

3. navi95

navi95 Regular member

thanx, thats wot i thought.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I sure as hell wouldn't do it. I'm a commercial/industrial electrician by the way.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

That cover around it isn't there for looks. Input into many of the componets is 120volts. I don't think there is any operational reasons, but safety is a big factor.

Jerry

6. navi95

navi95 Regular member

could anyone give an alternative then? is there such a thing as a mini PSU??

7. navi95

navi95 Regular member

would it be safe if I was to make another metal case that is small enough for the xbox? could that cause any problems?

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I guess if you covered it with something and did it with safety in mind, it should work. Maybe something that doesn't conduct like plastic.

Jerry

9. navi95

navi95 Regular member

interesting............

maybe sumthin like acrylic?

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  11. navi95

navi95 Regular member

I was thinkin of pretty much making it like the original case but out of acrylic and of course lots of gaps on the top for air flow and also a space for the fan to blow cold air onto the components of the psu.

does that sound about rite?

12. navi95

navi95 Regular member

i was also goin to remove the XBOX emblem ( the green round thing on top) and replace it with a fan so that cool air go into the console because it has gaps all around the case for the air to go out of, if that isnt still enough i could make an exhaust to be safe

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The box around a PSU is a necessity.........RFI regualtions/safety the works............
    Obviously for safety, but also for shielding......

The shielding is VERY important as the PSU is a switched mode power supply....

Basically they have crappy switching frequencies floating around all over the place and the box contains this behind a grounded cage.........Similar to the 80 way IDE ribbons.............

These frequencies can radiate ALL inside the PC and cause some really weird problems, therefore to contain inside a grounded/shielded enclosure is required.......................

You can get hold of smaller PSU's, but I do not know where, my mums old pc HP, had a 92 Watt PSU and powered a HD/DVDROM/MOTHERBOARD etc........and was the smallest thing I have ever seen....

Maybe worth seeing if you can still get them..........

What do Barebones use?

BTW:As been mentioned already -
    1. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE PSU IF IT IS OPENED, THE 120v/240v WILL GIVE YOU A BELT, 50HZ OR 60HZ WILL THROW YOU OFF.
    2. THERE WILL BE A POTENTIAL OF 350VDC IN THERE THAT WILL CERTAINLY WAKE YOU UP AND COULD MAKE YOU GRAB IT
    3. THE SECONDARY SIDE CAN MAKE YOU GRAB IT RATHER THAN THROW YOU OFF, YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT IT THEN - SUCKING THROUGH A STRAW.............

AC and DC is inside, the ac, will generally throw you off, but NOT AT THE HIGHER FREQUENCIES INSIDE ON THE SECONDARY SIDE.
    The DC will make YOUR HAND GRAB IT and then you will probably cook..........

Seems like an interesting project though..........

14. navi95

navi95 Regular member

Ive seen mini PSU's and they are roughly 200 watts so I wasnt sure it would power everything efficiently.
    The system im puttin in the case is a old 800mhz PIII, 128mb ram (prob upgrade to 256/512), couple fans, DVD-RW, Ati rage pro 128 (32mb) and maybe a LAN card for transfering files from my main PC.

15. navi95

navi95 Regular member

I just found a considerably small PSU from the same site Ive orderd my AGP riser for my graphics card (got a right angle AGP riser or otherwise it would be too high) that is 180Watts.

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_57&products_id=286

Do u think this would be enough power for the system? Thanks

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It looks like it'll do the job just fine, I think the air cooling situation is gonna need to be good......but yikes.....How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always makes me laugh in todays age - the smaller in size, the dearer in price (eh ladies, is that true?)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  17. navi95

navi95 Regular member

true about the price but thats the only one that would suit my project best.
    Also for cooling I am going to remove the xbox emblem on the top (green thing) and replace it with a fan blowing air into the case. I think there are vents all around the case itself (not sure yet, im still have to receive it) so that will help with the cooling situation.

18. navi95

navi95 Regular member

ive just seen a pic of a xbox PSU and it looks like it has connector for a DVD and motherboard just like a standard PC, I was wondering how much watts it is and if it could be used for my pc/xbox project.

Also I have just paid for a xbox case so it will be arriving soon so I can actually start working on it. I may start a new thread showing how I will construct it with pics.