1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is an OEM version of XP alright?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mossfan18, Jun 5, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I just installed a new HD in a an old HP Pavilion 8755c with Win ME on it. When I tried booting back up I got the message "operating system not found" on a black screen. I wasn't concerned because I knew the OS was missing as I had just replaced the primary HD containing the original OS and all files on it with a blank HD that I was going to reinstall ME on.

However, the set of ME recovery discs I was going to use weren't being recognized. I'm quite sure I'm doing something wrong like not going into the BIOS at startup. I need a guide for this!

Long story short I wanna by XP Pro and someone reccommended a OEM version from NewEgg would be fine. My question is, what does the XP retail offer that the OEM does not?

Any other reccommendations would be gladly accepted!

2. whompus

whompus Active member

The only thing I know of is the retail version needs to be activated within 30 days where the oem should be already activated.

3. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

IN OTHER WORDS THE OEM VERSION DOESN'T HAVE A KEY # TO BE ENTERED?

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  5. jony218

jony218 Guest

The only difference is the oem comes in a cd envelope and usually you have to buy some computer part's to actually be able to buy it. Also with a oem purchase you don't get any free microsoft phone support in case you run into problems. You don't get the nice big fancy shrink wrapped box with the directions book, but you do save alot of bucks. If your computer literate thats the way to go. I usually buy a lot of my software (anti virus) oem at the computer store and it saves me a lot of money, no difference with the box version.

6. sjb007

sjb007 Member

The main difference between the two is that with a full copy the licience is transferrable, meaning if your computer dies you can reinstall it on another system. With an oem version it is tied into the motherboard and will only last the lifespan of that computer, or b) you do any major upgrades (ie you upgrade your motherboard) once your computer dies you cannot transfer it to another computer like the full version, a new licience is then reqired.

7. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I like to say this is exactly it. OEM versions stick to the hardware you have in the one computer where as Full retail versions can be installed on multiple computers.

Although this is also possible on OEM but you need to call Micorosft and basically tell them you are doing a reinstall and they can change your CD key for you.