1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is bose overrated?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Halen5150, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Everyone,
    I just thought I'd post a little opinion thread to see what people think..........because for a long time now I've been looking at all these great home theater setups and now see what today's technology is really capable of (ex. Onkyo's TX-NR1000); it makes me feel like bose isn't all it's cracked up to be. and don't get me wrong, i still love the sound quality you get from Bose systems, but for me; I've seen so many more systems out there that can just match a Bose system for about half the price. If you ask me, I think bose is a very good and reliable brand in home audio, but my opinion is that you can get something that sounds just as good for not near the price.

Let me know what you think:) just my 2 cents.

2. codydog

codydog Regular member

Bose is good. Made some geat advancements. But don't let you ego decide for you.
    Sounds like you've already decided. Just like the people that pay 100.00 for a monster cable. Similar = 25.00. People likes them braggin rights.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  3. JVC

JVC Active member

Back in the 60's and 70's, Bose made some very nice speakers. But over the years they've gone downhill in quality, and developed good marketing. They have brainwashed millions of people into believing that Bose is THE BEST, when actually, you can buy MUCH better, for the same money.

Ever notice in the stores that sell Bose speakers, and others, that all the speakers, except Bose, have their specs listed? The specs are good selling points, and one way of comparing brands. Bose don't list them because (I think) they are afraid that if you understand what the specs mean, you'll realize that you're not getting your money's worth.

The ONLY Bose product I'd even consider buying, is the Wave Radio, and there's not much chance of that, since I'm not going to spend $400 for what is basically a clock radio!

Here is a good review of Bose: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO!! That was pretty good JVC! How are you buddy?

5. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

JVC!!! That is an incredibly interesting article!!!

Also, another good thing to point out (which I'm sure a lot of people already know) is that when I walk into stores like Wal-mart and Target to "test out" their cheap-crap surround systems, more than 3/4 of the time I walk in their and find the receivers including DVD/CD players. (their integrated)
    Now, with that said, I just wanted to open up something to think about: You notice that just about every bose system includes a DVD player with practically every system they've got.
    So, as a conclusion to the following being stated, I was wondering that if all those crappy Walmart systems' receivers carry a DVD Player and so does the Bose systems; then do they both carry the same amount of quality (or at least pretty close?)???

P.S. If I'm way off guys, give me a break 'cause I'm sort of a noob with being able to tell the quality of a sound system by it's specs; some of the stuff I know about what's good and what's not, but there's other stuff where I have to keep researching......

6. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Here's also some proof on what's mentioned about the specs in JVC's post.

In the link below, there is the Acoustimass 15 surround system for sale, and when you click on the "specs" tab, all they have is their little scheme as to getting around mentioning the true specs of their system; all they mentioned was stuff like:

"-Our patented technologies help deliver superior sound and lifelike spaciousness from a Virtually Invisible ® speaker solution.
    -Newly engineered powered Acoustimass® module offers the deepest bass of any Bose® home theater speaker system yet can be hidden almost anywhere in your room."

...Now if you ask me, I'd say that's the funniest thing I've seen coming from the company that's "the best in surround sound" (LOL). Yet, this "#1" company (bose) doesn't have the balls to mention the true specs of their systems.

Link for all of the system "specs": http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/bose/am-15ii.html

7. JVC

JVC Active member

Hey gerry1..............
    Same ol' here. Just a different day and a bigger pile!
    Where you been hiding? Haven't seen you here in a long time.........

@Halen 5150.........
    Those paper speakers of Bose's, can't hold a candle to a real speaker, of the same size. Like I said........In the 60's & 70's, the Bose 301, 501, and 901 speakers were very good. Even the same models now, just aren't the same...........

8. codydog

codydog Regular member

Glad you guy chipped in, I didn't want to start flaming Bose. But when Bose was bragging about, "spaciousness." All it was is like you said paper speakers with wizzer cones! They just angle them to reflect. If you want spaciousness, put some piezo tweeters in the corners of the room. They will have the hair raising on your neck with dolby surround and the right movie. Maybe this should be moved to the safety valve, and chew on it some.

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Well, there is a little deceit at work in this. "Spaciousness" is one of the effects of such tiny speakers with the bottom of the midrange and the bass being sent to the sub...that is why you CANNOT use such speakers (unlike "real" bookshelf speakers) without a sub... the sub is a MUST in those cases because those frequency responses would have no where to go. That spaciousness works to the advantage with the effects in DVDs because you're not facing a wall of sound under the full frequencies so effects become exaggerated by the sheer lack of lower midrange and base frequencies...the effect is really cool but not so hot when you switch from video to music.

@JVC..."when it rains, it pours"...as they say. For the last six or seven weeks, everythings been happening at the same time including moving to a new place. I've spent the last six weeks grumbling "I'M GETTING TO DAMNED OLD FOR ALL THIS SH**" LOL! And, grumpy old fart that slowly becoming...I loved every moment my complaining. I think the word for what I'm becoming is a "Kurmudgeon" you know, the BAH HUMBUG!! variety and I'm starting to love it....do you think that should scare me or should I just be cranky and enjoy every damned minute of it? LMAO!

edit: I can't even friggin type yet either even after 1100 of these posts! Bah Humbug!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  10. codydog

codydog Regular member

gerry1, lmao. I'm only 38 and enjoy every minute of it. I'll sell you my old soap box, or loan you one. Does the term, "Basty Nastard," come to mind? Like I tell the other guys, I kinda got left in the dust over the last few years, since I've joined AD I've been playing catchup. Fun but frustrating. CD
    EDIT> Here ya go gerry.
    [​IMG]

11. JVC

JVC Active member

Enjoy every minute of it! :eek:)

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Why thank you there codydog! Just what I needed! A fine british tradition which we yanks have been remiss in not retaining!

@JVC...that's what I thought you'd say...LOL! I'll be aD's Andy Rooney !

13. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

I bought a Bose system 10 years ago, sold it 3 years ago after I began
    doing some research about speakers. They are so overpriced and sound crappy, IMO. I ended up getting a system from av123.com and cannot be happier.

14. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

@sd72667

Would you mind at all letting me in on what exact set up you got from av123?? Sorry if it's a bother, but i'm kinda curious 'cause they got a lot of good choices....

15. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

At the time 3 years ago, I got the 750's (towers)RS 250's (rears) and the center speaker RSC 200. They packaged them together and I got a better deal. After looking at their home page, I called them and they told me about the package deal, which was not on their site. I am very happy with them. Now they have newer packages. Try this link,
    http://www.av123.com/products_category_pack.php?section=speakers&brand=3

16. xXx

xXx Regular member

as the mark it is certainly good. i have never heard anything about the negative, and obviously because into question is good product. overrated ? why would be...?

17. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

@xXx

You talkin' about Bose or AV123's products??

18. xXx

xXx Regular member

i meant both in principle.

19. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

20. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

Halen, that is a great read. I saw that sometime back and emailed it to all of my Bose loving friends.