1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is converting AVI to MPEG necessary?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by tgibby, Sep 18, 2004.

1. tgibby

tgibby Member

Is converting avi to mpeg necessary before burning a movie to DVD? Can't you burn an avi file to dvd? What are the benefits of converting, we all know time is not one of them. Please help me understand the conversion thing. I use Roxio Media 7 to burn and TMPGEnc Plus 2.521 to convert in case you wonder.

2. NHomebrew

NHomebrew Member

yes.

DVD formats are MPEG-2 (720 x 480 or 704 x 480) for the most part, and some players will accept MPEG-1 (352x240) video files.

converting is a pain and takes a lot of time. if quality is not so important, you can do really fast conversions with WinAVI.

3. tgibby

tgibby Member

The reason I ask is because using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Builder, I added a title, which was the AVI file, set it to best quality, burned it to my hard drive as an ISO file, then used the Copy DVD in Roxio 7 and burned it to a DVD and it works fine in my DVD player and the quality looks good. Just wondering if it will make any difference (other than taking a lot more time) if I convert the AVI to MPG, then make the MPG an ISO file, then burn it to a DVD. (Note: the reason for making it ISO before burning it to DVD is because the file is too large for a DVD Builder project so making it an ISO first then using Copy DVD in Roxio to burn the ISO to a disc is because it will compress the ISO to fit it to the disc without compromising the "best" quality setting.)