1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is defragmenting generally needed this often?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Whitfield, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi all-
    I have been checking and learning from this forum for several months and now sucessfully burn copies of my DVD's. I have noticed that my hardrive seems to need defragmenting, and general maintenance quite often inorder for me to keep the computer acting generally quick and smoothly--I have an HP a430n with the DVD writer that came with it--AMD Anthlon 3200 (2.2 Ghz) with 512 Ram and 160GB hard-drive--mostly empty--I do keep some of the movies on the hardrive--sometimes--just when waiting for mail-order media--so could that be the problem?--I use DVD Shrink and then have three different burning programs --ie. Record Now--came with computer--also use Decryptor and recently purchased Nero--which I think I will love when I get more familiar with it.--Could using different burning engines make a difference? Having too many burn options? They haven't specifically ever let me down--I just like having options. Still learning on these programs, but still use an old DVD-Xcopy product that started me on the whole idea--In fact, I do have to use it sometimes when Shrink has a problem--I think maybe 3-4 times out of 100--Still don't know how to use Decryptor first then Shrink--only ever use Scuba Petes recipe that has Shrink first--what are the advantages of running Decryptor first then Shrink and is there an easy guide?--K, sorry I have been rambling, just thought you should know that there are probably a lot of people like me thanks to folks like you here in this forum--

Roger(Whitfield)

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Roger,

Lots of times I use decrypter to rip to the HD to use those files with other apps that don't rip, such as nero for example. Also, sometimes shrink will hit a movie it can't rip and then you need to use decrypter.

To use decrypter with shrink there is no need for a guide, all you do is rip with decrypter to your HD, then in shrink hit open files instead of open disc and browse to your folder with the decrypter rip in it. (hint-I make a folder that i know where it's at and name it decrypter rips, so I can find it when i browse to it later)

I normally rip in decrypter in file mode because i seldom use it as a burner, however if you are going to burn with decrypter rip in ISO mode as it can only burn ISO files.

With a 160g HD you shouldn't have to defrag that often. You said you "keep movies on your HD, is that a problem?" Depends on how many, at 7-10gigs a movie it doesn't take long to fill up even the biggest HD.

Having several software apps for DVD backup shouldn't present a problem. I have 25-30 myself. Sometimes a program like Roxio will cause problems with other apps cos it doesn't like to share, but for the most part they all co-exist nicely.

Hope this helps.

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

bigorange--
    Thanks, I appreciate your quick response, I generally only keep 6-10 movies on HD--Not even that if I have plenty of quality media disks--still working on the fine points of copying....ie. taking out the annoying "Warning" and changing menu's etc.--always try to work it out myself and has cost me a few "coasters" lol--One more quick question--one of my neighbors has a DVD player that will not play any of the movies I have burned (my players both will)--would it make any difference which program the DVD was burned with--have tried different high quality media with same result, but I believe that was when I only used DVDXcop--do you think it would make any difference if DVD was burned with Decryptor or Nero?--Thanks again for your help

Roger

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Roger, not one bit. Most of the new players are compatible with all formats. Older ones not so. It all has to do with +,-,R,RW.

BTW, speaking of RW, you might want to buy a couple and use them til you get it down pat, thus no more coasters!

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Thats what I thought--Thank you so much for your help--Have a great day!

Roger

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Thank you, you're quite welcome, come back anytime. :)