1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD burning supposed to be near impossible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EMTJay, Jan 15, 2005.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh, Barry,

it's what we do, you and I -

If I wouldn't have done it, you would have -

Chat with you later :)

2. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Alright Guys so after reading Pete's guide I realized that was what I was doing...with the exception of the minor changes to DVDD. At any rate I still got the same error. This time for some reason it went all the way to what I thought was 100% and then I get the dreaded "Write to Disc Error."

I had all day today to play so I thought about just skipping Nero all together. Now I use DVDD and DVDShrink with no problems! I would like to take advantage of Nero Ultra 6 though so I am still trying to find a fix to my problem. With the combination of DVDD and DVDShrink I burned at all speeds...2x, 4x, 6x, and even 8x without a hitch. Is it me, or does DVDShrink take a long time to Encode?

I really do appreciate the continued support guys!!

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Quality always takes time-

If you don't care for decent quality, un-tick all in Quality Settings -

It sounds like Nero is corrupted - Do a totally "clean" uninstall of Nero then reinstall, all then s/b fine -

At,least we've found your problem . . . You're now a burning maniac, Enjoy :)

Cheers,

Pete :)

4. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hey Pete,
    I agree with ya about the burning freak thing! This is cool. I did a clean reinstall of Nero. I used all their cleaning tools. Haven't yet upgraded to the updated Nero. I wanted to try things with a clean install first. I will get around to it tonight. I have to work a graveyard shift so it will give me something to do so I don't fall asleep.

Thanks for the continued help everyone!!
    Jay

5. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hmm...I hope my thread doesn't fade into the woodwork. I am still having problems with Nero. I did the update and it still is not helping me.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Don't go anywhere Jay,

I have a friend coming in to help you out.

He be "da Man" ! An Ahead employee and all around "Top Dog" for Nero -

Be nice ta him OR I'll have to hunt you down like a dog and kill you a couple of times (Lol)

He'll get to the bottom of this I'm sure -

BRB

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

If my good buddy Pete is talking about Craig, and I'll bet he is, then you'll be in fine hands. Da man knows his sheeeat when it comes to Nero.

8. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Believe me, I'm not going anywhere. The help you guys have given has been great.
    I look forward to hearing from Pete's friend. Maybe somehow we can get through this. I suppose I could call tech support, but this forum is much more comfortable to me!

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi EMTJay,

Pete asked my to drop by and lend what support I can. :)

I've just read all the postings, and I can see that ScubaPete and Bigorange have been taking very good care of you, as they do with everyone.

What I would really need at this point, is a new log file from our latest release of Recode 2.2.6.9

We just released a new version of NVE30127 and Nero Recode 2.2.69, as NVE30118 and Nero Recode 2.2.6.4 had a number of problems.

If we are lucky, this simple upgrade will resolve your issue and no further debugging would be needed.
    I'm hoping this will resolve your issue, as the log file you had posted was from Nero Recode 2.0.0.9 and that had issues as well, and when you upgraded it was about the time we had 2.2.6.4, which also had issue.

If it does not resolve the issue, post the new log file so I can see what is occurring.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

10. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi EMTJay,

I've just read all the postings, and I can see that ScubaPete and Bigorange have been taking very good care of you, as they do with everyone.

What I would really need at this point, is a new log file from our latest release of Recode 2.2.6.9

We just released a new version of NVE30127 and Nero Recode 2.2.69, as NVE30118 and Nero Recode 2.2.6.4 had a number of problems.

If we are lucky, this simple upgrade will resolve your issue and no further debugging would be needed.
    I'm hoping this will resolve your issue, as the log file you had posted was from Nero Recode 2.0.0.9 and that had issues as well, and when you upgraded it was about the time we had 2.2.6.4, which also had issue.

If it does not resolve the issue, post the new log file so I can see what is occurring.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi EMTJay,

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

12. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hi There Craig!
    I just downloaded the newest update last night. I will try to use it tonight. I am crossing my fingers!! I will definately update on the status of my burning. Thanks a lot for your time and assistance!

Jay

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  13. AudiRacer

AudiRacer Member

Iam having much issues like you EMTJay. I use SONIC to burn DVD's and it burns them to where i can only view them in media player and that too by selection the .vob and .ifo files. I have started doing this today for the first time! I definitely have some learning to do.

Any suggestions as to what i can do to burn it so that it runs like a dvd and not a data type cd. (Sonic burns it in data format, wont do it in video.) any good freeware software to burn? also, ive seen people saying that burn with DVD Descrypter.. how do you do that? download something extra?

I also use DVD Shrink because im trying to copy DVD 9. Thanks for any help guys!!

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Huuummm,

. . . . grabing my pencils and writing notes,

. . . .a NEW RECODE2 . . . gotta get that now . . .

Boy am I falling behind . . .

Craig gets back in town and I have to scramble . . .

Thanks Craig . . . .

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Wrong forum, sorry. Erased.

16. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

AudiRacer, I would definately look into using DVDShrink in conjunction with DVD Decrypter. First you would use DVD Decrypter to remove any of the copy protections. Then use DVD Shrink to shrink down the content of a DVD9 disk to the size of a DVD5. Look in the options to make sure that DVDShrink is set to burn the DVD and you are off to burning. ScubaPete has written many guides for many different combinations of applications. I suggest you look to this guide...
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

But believe me...I am still pretty new at this so you might want to look at the Guide Section of this website. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

Good Luck!! I wish I could be of more help to you.
    Jay

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

AudiRacer,

Here is a quickie guide I wrote for the new Shrink 3.2, more in depth guides can be found at AfterDawn and Doom 9, also an interactive guide in the help section of Shrink. I recommend reading the entire guide before starting.

Also, remember, if shrink can't rip the movie, use Dvd Decrypter to rip to your hard drive in file mode. Then open shrink again and use the open files instead of open disc function. Just browse to the decrypter rip and proceed with shrink as the guide suggests.

This is a simple, easy to follow, basic Shrink 3.2 guide. You should have a fully functional working backup when done. Before you get started a couple of items of interest:

No.1- Make sure you get good media, this is extremely important! You can get Ritek G04 4x or G05 8x -R or get Ritek Ridata 4x +R here, for under .50 each and w/ free shipping. Make sure they are "branded" and never burn at over 4x!

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

No.2- Also, before you get started, Shrink will automatically open nero or Decrypter or Copy to DVD to burn so you don't have to open them, however you do have to choose your burner in Decrypter if you haven't already....

For Decrypter:

Open decrypter, click on mode, drop down to ISO, across to write and then click on it. Then at the bottom choose your burner you want Decrypter to use.

That's it, close Decrypter, you don't have to open Decrypter anymore.

For nero: You will choose your burner in shrink for Nero,

For Copy to DVD: it will be opened automatically by Shrink and ask you to choose your burner when shrink is ready for it to burn your backup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

OK, here's the shrink guide, follow it to the letter, it's fairly simple:

1-open shrink (see #10)

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below. There is a drop down window on the top right side that has your compression and substitute options.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with Nero. Make sure this is unchecked if you are going to use Decrypter or Copy to Dvd to burn automatically.

7a-Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

7b-You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge. Shrink also handles dual layer burning now, for it I would choose 8100.) I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of Nero, choose ISO image file and burn with decrypter. You can also choose ISO image and burn with Copy to DVD, if you choose this option Copy to DVD will open and ask you to choose your burner.

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality, overall, I tend to agree.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

Good luck :>)

of note: If you wish movie and menu only, click on extras, and substitue still image, then go to backup and follow directions from step 8.

18. AudiRacer

AudiRacer Member

Iam able to use the shrink and decrypter properly althought im assuming that you could bypass decrypter if shrink works for you. now that my shrink has stored the file in an audio and video ts called folder on my hard disk, im unable to use my preinstalled Sonic Recordnow V7.3 to burn the DVD. it will only burn it as a data cd. only thing i can do is go and open each .vob file separately. It doesnt start like a dvd where it loads itself. I think i dont have the right dvd burning software. any suggestions as to whether i should buy Nero or something else/freeware?

19. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

"Another Coaster Is Born in the nice quiet home of EMTJay."

Ok, Bigorange, ScubaPete, and Craig...the frustration continues...here is my error log. Again, I have no clue what any of this means. I am still having problems with Nero. I don't wanna give up though...

----- Begin NeroAPI error log -----

Windows XP 5.1

IA32

WinAspi: File 'Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=4.71 (0002), size=45056 bytes, created 7/17/2002 9:20:00 AM

ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Burner Accessories\Ahead\NeroVision\NeroFiles\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 10/26/2004 5:35:34 PM

Nero API version: 6.6.0.7

Using interface version: 6.6.0.4

Installed in: C:\Burner Accessories\Ahead\NeroVision\NeroFiles\

Application: Ahead\Nero Recode

Recorder: <PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A2> Version: 1.01 - HA 2 TA 0 - 6.6.0.7

Adapter driver: <> HA 2

Drive buffer : 8192kB

Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ?

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===

DiskPeripheral : TOSHIBA MK6021GAS atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On

CdRomPeripheral : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6012 atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6012 E: CDRom0

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A2 F: CDRom1

=======================

AutoRun : 1

Excluded drive IDs:

WriteBufferSize: 74448896 (0) Byte

ShowDrvBufStat : 0

BUFE : 0

Physical memory : 509MB (521712kB)

Free physical memory: 243MB (249260kB)

Memory in use : 52

Uncached PFiles: 0x0

Use Inquiry : 1

Global Bus Type: default (0)

Check supported media : Disabled (0)

NeroAPI

10:46:43 PM #1 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 258

Last possible write address on media: 2298495 (510:46.45, 4489MB)

Last address to be written: -1 ( 0:00.-1, 0MB)

10:46:43 PM #2 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 270

Write in overburning mode: NO

10:46:43 PM #3 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2311

Recorder: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A2, Media type: DVD-R

Disc Manufacturer: RITEKG - 05

Disc Application Code: 64, Disc Physical Code: 193

10:46:43 PM #4 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 432

>>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<

=========================================

10:46:44 PM #5 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 2334

Recording mode: Sequential Recording Mode for Multisession

10:46:44 PM #6 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 21156

Set BUFE: BURN-Proof -> ON

10:46:44 PM #7 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 2475

Start write address at LBA 0

DVD high compatibility mode: No

10:46:44 PM #8 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 8363

---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----

Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050

Book Type: DVD-R (2), Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: 10.08 Mbps (2 h)

Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: recordable

Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track

Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)

End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 26127F h

End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h

Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist

Start sector number of the current Border-Out: 0 h

Start sector number of the next Border-In: 0 h

Media Specific [16..63]:

00 30 01 02 04 06 00 00 - 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 .0..............

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

10:46:44 PM #9 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1001

Estimated filesystem size: 560

10:46:44 PM #10 Phase 36 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 276

Burn process started at 2x (2,770 KB/s)

10:46:44 PM #11 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1682

Buffering files started

10:46:44 PM #12 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1403

Buffering VIDEO_TS.VOB

10:46:47 PM #13 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2558

Finished buffering file VIDEO_TS.VOB of size 4777984 bytes (2333 sectors)

10:46:47 PM #14 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2625

Finished writing file VIDEO_TS.VOB of size 4777984 bytes (2333 sectors)

10:46:47 PM #15 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2638

Buffering files finished successfully

10:46:47 PM #16 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 675

Reserved fragment at 0. Length: 2944

10:46:47 PM #17 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1865

Reserved start fragment at 0

10:46:47 PM #18 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 675

Reserved fragment at 2944. Length: 32

10:46:47 PM #19 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1397

Writing VTS_01_0.VOB at sector 2976

10:47:08 PM #20 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2625

Finished writing file VTS_01_0.VOB of size 194560 bytes (95 sectors)

10:47:08 PM #21 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1397

Writing VTS_01_1.VOB at sector 3071

10:47:08 PM #22 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2625

Finished writing file VTS_01_1.VOB of size 10240 bytes (5 sectors)

10:47:08 PM #23 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1397

Writing VTS_01_0.BUP at sector 3076

10:47:08 PM #24 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2625

Finished writing file VTS_01_0.BUP of size 18432 bytes (9 sectors)

10:47:09 PM #25 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1397

Writing VTS_01_0.IFO at sector 2944

10:47:09 PM #26 SCSI -1064 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1433

SCSI Exec, HA 2, TA 0, LUN 0, buffer 0x09F78200

HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)

TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)

Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)

Sense Code: 0x21

Sense Qual: 0x02

CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0B 0x80 0x00 0x00 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x00

Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0B

0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x21 0x02

10:47:11 PM #27 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2605

Successfully released fragment at 2944

10:47:11 PM #28 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2625

Finished writing file VTS_01_0.IFO of size 18432 bytes (9 sectors)

10:47:13 PM #29 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 650

Successfully released fragment at 2976

10:47:13 PM #30 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 675

Reserved fragment at 3104. Length: 32

10:47:13 PM #31 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1397

Writing VTS_02_0.VOB at sector 3136

10:47:13 PM #32 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2625

Finished writing file VTS_02_0.VOB of size 10240 bytes (5 sectors)

10:47:15 PM #33 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 1397

Writing VTS_02_1.VOB at sector 3141

10:47:15 PM #34 SCSI -1064 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1433

10:47:15 PM #35 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 2109

Failed to write cache to disc at 3136

10:47:15 PM #36 Phase 179 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 276

Writing file to disc failed

10:47:16 PM #37 Text 0 File BurnAtOnceRecorder.cpp, Line 3625

Disc info:

Partitions: 2

#0: Start: 0, Size: 2928

#1: Start: 2944, Size: 16

10:47:16 PM #38 SCSI -1064 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1433

10:47:20 PM #39 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 276

Burn process failed at 2x (2,770 KB/s)

Existing drivers:

File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.71 (0002), size=16877 bytes, created 7/17/2002 8:53:00 AM

File 'WNASPINT.DLL': Ver=V1.18, size=57344 bytes, created 9/10/2003 12:00:00 AM

File 'Drivers\PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.02.47a, size=17136 bytes, created 1/3/2003 2:02:00 AM (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)

Registry Keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

----- End NeroAPI error log -----

22:47:21 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 301
    Compile DVD: exit

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

EMTJay,
    Untill you get your problem resolved I would highly recommend useing some dvdrw's, + or - which ever you prefer. It feels a lot better eraseing a dvdrw with write errors than it does tossing a dvd-r.