1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD burning supposed to be near impossible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EMTJay, Jan 15, 2005.

1. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Ok...it looks like I have a couple different options to experiment with.

Craig and Pete suggest that I have DVDShrink just pull up Nero automatically, and BigOrange suggests that I use an on-the-fly ripper. I was looking into getting AnyDVD so until then I will try the aforementioned suggestion and see what that will tell me.

Maybe we'll eventually be able to isolate which program is giving me the problems.

BigOrange I don't know if that last comment was for me or for rodeh7, but I can use the combination of DVDD and DVDShrink with no problem.

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I thought I read that the person who created DVD Shrink is now working for Nero and from what I just read it sounds like Nero Recode and DVD Shrink are almost the same thing. Is this correct?

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

ScubaBud

As far as I know, rumor has it you are correct. And yes, shrink and recode are extremely similar. The only major difference is shrink rips and can't burn and recode burns, but can't rip.

EMTJay,

I also recommend for nero to be automatically used by shrink. But you can also let shrink automatically burn with decrypter too, in case you don't have nero.

As far as using anydvd, i was suggesting it with recode, but it will also abet shrink in certain situations. I was just saying recode with anydvd is about as easy as it gets. But you can rip with decrypter to your HDD and then use those files in recode also.

If you look at my shrink guide on page 2, it states exactly how to automatically burn with nero OR decrypter. I prefer burning with Nero, but I'm partial to Nero for lots of reasons,LOL..

For the moment, do as Craig suggests, there is rhyme to his reason. He is narrowing the problem down by the process of elimination.

BTW, the previous post was for rodeh7 :>)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

All are fine except that you need Nero to burn which apparently you have to pay for now. I guess they saw an opportunity to exploit users of DVDXCopy and pulled their demo copy.

???????? I just checked and there is still a free trial of nero ultra 6 being offered at the nero homepage.

5. Brax

Brax Member

Hello from a Newby-dooby do;

I purchased 321's DVDXCOPY before the big bust and operating under the simple copy format (or whatever it's called) I've been 99.99% pleased. It's that random "Dukes of Hazard" season one, disc one, or the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes television series, and most recently "Forgotten" that bit the dust.

But by following the wonderful guides you AD-dicts have posted for using DVD decrypter and DVD shrink, the Holmes discs were backed up very nice. (Though during the DVD shrink process a failure to "lock" error came up each time, and I just punched the "ignore" button and things seem to work just fine.)

My question, and pardon moi if this is the wrong forum and let me preface it by re-stating the fact that I have had few problems with DVDXCOPY copying discs with plenty of content and features (i.e. perhaps a 2:10 movie plus 2 or 3 30-minute featurettes on it) onto a 4.7 gig DVD-R, or +R. Soooo, is their a way that DVD decrypter can be used to unlock those nasties that DVDXCOPY won't, and then to utilize just the burn features of DVDXCOPY?

Or, is it as simple as just use DVD decryter and DVD shrink ALL of the time?

Being new to using both of these programs, have some of you more experienced users found problems with backing up specific DVDs using the aforementioned two?

And while I'm at it, did anyone find the way to back up "Forgotten?"

Thanks all,

Brax

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Once you use DVD Shrink or the combination when you run across a Sony DVD, etc. why go back. It's a snap as you said. Also look at getting AnyDVD which runs in the background all the time so you can use just DVD Shrink.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Brax,

there are new ways of preventing DVD backup being developed and used all the time, for instance the new ArCCos by Sony, hard copy read errors(bad sector), structural copy protection, then you have the ongoing RCE protection as well as CSS protection, and many others..

I have found that AnyDvd is constantly being updated to deal with ALL of these copy protections, and I keep it running in the background at all times.

Now, that being said, Dvd Decrypter is also being updated to deal with a lot of these copy protections. Add that to the fact there are several steps you can take in settings to make Decrypter more aggressive in it's ripping capabilities and between the two I haven't found a movie yet I couldn't back up.

In fact, I run AnyDvd while rippping with Decrypter. There's no rule that says you have to use one or the other, they can be used together. That also goes for Shrink. Running AnyDvd while ripping with Shrink improves Shrink's ripping capabilities threefold. Don't forget, shrink can also use decrypter rips too.

Sooo, in answer to your question, yes, there is a way you can use X Copy on all those nasties. Here's a good place to get a couple of update packs for your X Copy including browser function(to use those Decrypter rips), ripping function, and removal of those nag screens and Dvd backup warnings:

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Oh yeah, and BTW, I did the "Forgotten" with no problems whatsoever, good luck! :>)

8. sdxtcdrm

sdxtcdrm Member

I recently began backing up DVDs a couple of days ago using CloneDVD2. I was happy with how simple the program was to use and how fast it made backup copies. But I ran into problems with Van Helsing and Terminal. What program would be recommended to work with cloneDVD2? Or should i just use DVDD and Shrink?
    Thanks,
    Josh

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OOPS!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You can use AnyDvd with it, if ripping with Decrypter doesn't work. I like Shrink better because of it's versatility, and it's free also. Any Dvd has a 21 day free trial.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

rodeh7,

Are you just world class stupid OR are you trying to stir up trouble by posting the exact same idiot drivel all over the place ? I decided to post the same answer to your same question hoping that repetition would help the message soak in -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/147969#801775
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/149212

Trouble-making, double-posting idiot Newbie -

12. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Brax, like you I purchased DVDXCopy before "they" busted the company. I was also able to get it updated to version 4.0.8.3 Brax what version do you have or are you updated to?

Before I continue let me give you some long-winded information about the equipment I'm working with. My primary player to watch DVD's on television is a Panasonic DMR-HS2 which I believe was the first commercial recorder that came out with a built in hard-drive. The DRM-HS2 has a built-in 40G hard-drive used for recording TV shows then I can edit out commercials before burning the final to DVD-R. The Panasonic DMR-HS2 will burn and play DVD-R and DVD-RAM so my final backup product needs to be burned to DVD-R.

My PC has an AMD Athlon 2.8 chip, 1G DDR RAM, 2 hard-drives both formated NTFS, C=40G, D=120G, Sony DRU-710A dual format, double layer burner. I have plenty of DVD-R single layer disks to burn to and DVD+RW disks to experiment on. Since the Panasonic DMR-HS2 plays only DVD-R single layer disks I should have purchased DVD-RW disks but when I purchased the DVD+RW's I didn't have the Sony burner, I had a external burner that could use DVD-+R/-+RW, and had been told that DVD+R was a faster or better type of format.

Since I'm still experimenting I assume it doesn't matter which type of RW disk I use? I live in Columbus, Ohio where were have CompUSA stores, DVD-RW's are readily available from there if you think I should use them instead of the DVD+RW's I already have. All the blank DVD disks I have are either Fuji, Maxell, Memorex or Imation. I don't think any of them have any silver or gold coating on them like some of the Ridata disks you keep linking too, but they are good branded names. Are those alright to use?

I have plenty of disk space on my second hard drive and should probably burn to my HD then burn the final to DVD-R to be played on the Panasonic DMR-HS2? It's my understanding that the DVD-R format is also what commercial DVD's use, and newer stand-alone players are able to use the DVD-R format also.

Now to the subject of my post. Because of all the new encryption methods being created, it appears that the software I should be using is AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and Nero 6 Ultra Edition which includes Recode 2? Am I on the right track? I'm getting confused because it seems there are several programs and different methods being discussed.

Since I'm sitting here with nothing to do but create coasters, I'm going to use The Day After Tomorrow movie along with the guides you guys have so graciously provided and give it a shot. I'll post my results.

What I want to know is one "foolproof" way, using what "foolproof" software that works all the time with any movie, to make my back-ups.

Thanks guys, Mike

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

What I want to know is one "foolproof" way, using what "foolproof" software that works all the time with any movie, to make my back-ups.

I don't think there is one, I use different apps for different situations. The most popular programs are probably Shrink(free), Recode(comes in a wonderful suite of audio and video apps called Nero Ultra 6 which also contains the Nero burn engine), AnyDvd, and Decrypter(free). That said, let me explain a few thing about DVD backup with these 4 apps.

Basics of DVD backup:

There are 4 things you do to backup a DVD. Rip, edit/re-author, compress, burn. This is what each app will do:

1-shrink rips, edits/re-authors, and compresses.

2-decrypter rips and burns,

3-Nero Recode will edit/re-author, compress, and burn.

4-AnyDvd-rips, runs in the background, nothing to operate.

You only need a combo of 2 apps to do the work.

There are various combinations,

you could get shrink to rip, edit, compress and decrypter to burn or Nero to burn.

or you could get decrypter to rip and nero Recode to edit, compress, and burn.

or you could just run AnyDvd, open Recode to edit, compress, and burn.

Only a combo of two is needed. there is no need to use three apps, unless shrink can't rip the file, then go to decrypter because it's a better ripper or run AnyDvd in the background to assist..

Use decrypter to rip in file mode in all the above cases(except AnyDvd/Recode). The only time you need decrypter in ISO mode is if you use it to burn with shrink because it can only burn ISO files. Even then you still rip with it in file mode because shrink will convert to ISO for decrypter to burn automatically.

Is this starting to make sense now?

Probably the easiest method is to run AnyDvd and just use Recode. You only open and operate one app from start to finish. I run AnyDvd to come on at startup, it doesn't use much CPU and it automatically does it's job whenever you insert a DVD in your DVD-ROM.

BTW, I have posted both a shrink and recode guide here in this very thread. :>)

14. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

bigorange, thank you very much for your simplified version of the information running in the thread. I've already copied the 2 guides you refer to and will be trying them to make my backups. I almost got to start after I posted but decided to stop and read email first. Glad I did!

I would like more clarification on what you guys mean by using good media. Do you think that the Fuji, Memorex, Maxell, Imation media that I'm using are up to specs? You guys talk about gold and silver coated media, which is on the web site link you post so much. Is media with that coating really needed or will the brands that I mention serve the purpose?

I truly appreciate how you put what appears to be a difficult, time consuming and multi-step process into such a simple way that even I can understand it.

Once again I thank you, tallguy53, Mike

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mike, no problemo :>)

As far as media, I gave a link in the Recode and Shrink guide for Ritek Ridata 4x +R and Ritek G04(4x) or G05(8x)-R. These are very good dependable media for under .50 each with free shipping. Always buy branded media if possible. I also am big on Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, but they are a little more expensive(up to 1.00 each and higher)

Stay away from Memorex! Period! Way to iffy and inconsistant. Stay away from anything made by CMC. I don't care for Imation either. Fuji is OK and Maxell can be OK. But like I said if you use good quality media, then if there is a problem media is eliminated as a possibility when diagnosing. Not to mention crappy media may even work now then a year down the road you go to play it and WHAM! it won't.

It wouldn't hurt to download and install either DVD Identifier or Dvdinfopro and check your media manufacturer out. Infopro has lots of other uses too. Both have free versions which is all you need.

Let me know how it goes :>)

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One other thing I forgot you asked,LOL, I like discs with the dark purple AZO dye. Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and Ritek all use this layer for recording.

Also, I never burn over 4x and sometimes less on movies, and never over 1x on games. Higher burn speeds can and do cause errors..

17. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hey Craig...you still around? I hope so! Anyway, I did as you directed and everything burned A-OK. Just for kicks I decided to recreate the problems I had before. I decrypted/ripped with DVD Decrypter then I encoded/burned from DVD9 to DVD5 with Nero Recode and BAM! the problem happened again. Thankfully I am experimenting with DVD+RWs now so I didn't make a permanent coaster.

Another test I did was to Rip/Encode/Burn with DVDShrink and automatically pull up Nero and that worked like a charm.

18. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hmm,

I've seen a few other posts with users haveing trouble with Nero and content created by DVD Dycriptor. Normally we do not have any issues. Looks like I need to do some testing in this area to see if there are any problems.

Thanks for your feedback EMTJay.

Regards

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

19. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Thanks a lot Craig for the 1-on-1 help. This has been an excellent thread. I am sure you will keep me updated as to what you find.

I am definately open to any more suggestions and hope they continue to come in!

Thanks to everyone here that has helped me...BigOrange, ScubaPete, some newbies, and of course Craig!

Jay

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey, we're glad you're burning up a storm :)
    Consider this an invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre). You can check out our forums on Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even cellular phones Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)
    Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

I'll be lQQking forward to Sea'n you,

Cheers my friend,

Pete :p)