1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD burning supposed to be near impossible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EMTJay, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mike,

Using shrink in full disc mode or recode as pete suggested will give you a working menu and the movie. You can then use "substitute still image" feature in either app to edit out extras you don't want to keep and still maintain a working menu. I have posted both of my guides for recode and shrink in this thread that tells you exactly how to do this. :>)

Sorry, shrink on page 2 and recode on page 3.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

As good as DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink work , I don't know why a person would try to use anything else anyway !!!

Well, mainly because there is better. Altho I think shrink is an excellent app and the best of the freebies, it isn't the best out there by far.

Also, Decrypter is a great ripper, I don't prefer it for burning my files and besides it only burns ISO files and I like anydvd better for getting around encryption. Again, it is the best of the freebies.

Apps you might want to check out, Dvd Rebuilder and CCE Basic-hands down the best of the best, compression of over 50% hard to distinguish from the original.

Intervideo DvdCopy 3, Fast(45 minutes or less), easy interface, and only beaten by RB/CCE in quality.

Nero Recode(which is extremely a lot like shrink), but comes in the Ultra 6 suite where you get a complete package of video and audio apps plus others like PC backup, Dvd and CD cover design, Toolkit, software player, burn engine, and more too numerous to mention.

Pinnacle Instant Copy 8 does an excellent job and only costs around 20.00 or less, easy to use, but does take longer than Recode or Copy 3 but the results are worth it. In fact the last version of shrink used this as one of it's standards it tried to match in quality.

Movies are different, there isn't one app I use for all, rather i use different apps for the appropriate situation. Some apps work better for certain movies.

Just a few reasons where you might want to try something else IMHO :>)

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

sleepwalk,

what are you using to burn your games?

Also, for games you should never burn over 1x!

Try ripping and burning with decrypter in ISO mode using both read and burn speeds of 1x. Trust me, burning faster than 1x more often than not will result in your results.

BTW, you need to post this in the PS2 forum, the mods will fuss at ya for putting it here. Just a friendly tip :>)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  4. bjclaw

bjclaw Member

My Bad ! I should have said they are the best of the freebees !, which is what many of us are looking for !

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No biggie, :>)

All of the apps I listed have free trials, I just mentioned them just in case you might want to check out other , better means.

The one exception is RB/CCE, altho Rebuilder is free, and all the other components are free except CCE basic, the trial version of CCE basic sucks, so you must use CCE SP trial in order for it to work. Unfortunately it has caused problems for many in setup and it leaves a watermark on the finished video. There is however a new installer that automatically sets it up for you by rockas. Still, a lot of people have problems until they purchase CCE Basic for 58.00.

Such a shame too, after seeing Rebuilder's results, you would be reluctant to use anything else with large amts. of compression. I don't think there's one person who has used it that wouldn't agree. 100% is a pretty good track record, huh?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

tallguy53
    I guess you missed the intent of what I stated earlier. I wasn't correcting bjclaws grammar. I'm sure he was trying to be helpful. I was pointing out the fact than many others, all over this forum, have stated that DVD Decrypter works well to break the newer encryption systems. Run a search on The Forgotten and you'll see what I mean.

I've personally answered direct questions and supplied information since the newer encryption systems have started to be a problem. I didn't see the relevance of adding it once again where it wasn't particularly needed or solicited. I wasn't being negative, nor was I being supportive.

To me the short statement I made about decrypters was a nonissue until you brought it up. If you want to pay attention to anything I have to say, you're welcome to do so. If I say something negative to you, you have the right to respond. But I don't need you telling me how I should or shouldn't respond on the forum. I was trying to help Brax and point out that AnyDVD has an info page and that his problem probably wasn't due to a faulty rip but elsewhere in the process.

We have moderators to control the forum and don't need the assistance of a newbie to tell us how to conduct ourselves. As long as we're civil, we have the right to disagree; as you do. If you find my behavior offensive, report it to a mod. Otherwise, you shouldn't make things personal; especially since your intervention wasn't needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2005
  7. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Sorry double post.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  8. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

BroBear, you are absolutely correct, I stand corrected and ashamed as a dumb newbie with bad manners. I would appreciate any advice and support you might offer me.

Mike

9. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Hi all, I’m still hanging out reading the thread postings and trying to make DVD movie backups but I’m still having the same Audio problem as before. I got my new G05 disks but I’m not going to use those puppy’s until I have this figured out. Most of you know my situation, but I have a couple of new questions: What exactly is DTS? What is DTS an acronym for?

My goal - I'm using Shrink and Decrypter, trying to create a backup of my DVD movies with a working menu so that the backup doesn't automatically start to play when inserted into my pc or DVD player. From previous posts you know I also have Nero 6 Ultra Edition, which includes Recode 2 but wanted to try Shrink & Decrypter since everybody likes them so much. First I tried using Shrink in Re-Author mode, same problem no sound or working menu. Shrink gives the error message about using Re-Author and menus as I posted earlier so that’s not an option. Then I tried using Shrink in Full Disk mode but that didn't work either. I get the same error message about patent restrictions that I got before.

Here’s the procedure I followed, tell me what you see wrong. I’m using the Shrink 2 quickie guide from BigOrange. In Full Disk Mode I hit Open Disk and Shrink does its thing. When it’s finished, under the Audio heading I put a check in the DTS 5.1-ch English for the main movie title, and under the Sub-Picture heading a check in English-Normal Captions. Changed Compression to Still Picture for everything else except the file that contains the Menu I want. No audio checks anywhere else. I've set Shrink to automatically use Decrypter to do the rest.

When Shrink and Decrypter are all finished, which takes roughly an hour for I,Robot and I try to play the movie in my pc DVD-ROM I’m still getting the error message about patent restrictions that I posted previously. At least there’s no problem with the Video portion it plays great but still no sound and no working menu.

This is my previous posting about the audio problem - The Play menu appeared complete with music but no functionality. Pushing Play didn't do anything. At the end of that 35 second menu when the movie started to automatically play I got a message from ShowTime that says "Due to patent restrictions the DVD-Video will be played without audio". I pushed the OK button and the movie plays beautifully with no audio”.

I’m using DVD+RW’s until I get this process down. I’m also using my pc’s DVD-ROM to play each experimental backup because I get the same error message about patient restrictions when I try playing the backups in my DMR-HS2.

FYI BigOrange - this statement “5a- you can raise compression or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.” What I failed to do was compress the Still Images. Glad I'm still using DVD+RW's as I burn and learn!

What do you guys think I should try next? Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Mike,

You're shooting yourself in the foot my friend. Unless you have a Hi-end stereo system that has a special amp for digital sound you're not going to hear anything at all. Un-Check DTS and keep 5.1 Dolby checked - you might wish to keep AC# 2-channel also. Kill off all foreign languages and DTS. If you use captions, Fine BUT if you don't have to read the text then un-check the captions.

Back to the DTS. You must play DTS through a DTS amp. If it's going through your TV then you don't have it. DTS sound is so good (Like a movie theater) it has to be played through a sound system. If your TV says DTS that means that it has an OUTPUT to go to your DTS amp so your TV can be heard through your sound system.

Anyway, since you said you have Nero, I suggest you use that. Why does everyone like DVD Shrink ? Because it's FREE ! You don't have to buy anything. It doesn't mean it's the easiest or by far the best -it is better than some (like XCopy because it's 1 1/2 yrs behind the times) But as Bear will tell you, there are better proggys out there. I.e. CCE Rebuilder, DVD2One, DVDCopy3, etc. They all cost $$$$ but considering that DVD Shrink is free and it does so well, that is saying something -

Hope that helps,

Pete

11. eric545

eric545 Regular member

EMTJay

I know that you are currently using Nero and wonder if Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 would work better for you. I know that Roxio isn't a freeware program however; sometimes things you pay a bit more for work better then cheaper older software. I always use DVD Decrypter, then DVD Shrink followed by Roxio to write the movie to a DVD-R. If you are at all interested you might take a look at this page of mine:

http://mysite.verizon.net/eric.groves/pg48.html

That page has links for: How to Use DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, & Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 "Disc Copier"

12. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hey Eric,
    I tried using Roxio...I have an OEM version from a different drive and it just screwed up my system. All my burns were happening at 2x and it just made everything take forever so I decided to stick with Nero and DVDShrink.

But thanks for the suggestion! I'm still wondering why I can't necessarily burn DVDD created files...

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

eric545,

You might wish to search our archives to checkup on Roxio products.

Roxio has a pretty hefty reputation for screwing up a lot of DVD backp programs. In your search you'll also see that we need to take extra steps to remove Roxio because it entangles our systems so badly. It would be a guess but perhaps 3% to 5% (and that's being generous) use Roxio to burn without problems. Somewhere around 30% of the pple here abouts have tried Roxio and have had to be extracated from it in order to continue backing up DVD's, myself included. Yes, I was one who puchased Roxio (it was great with music) then upgraded it for some more $$$$ only to find it messed up my system so badly that I finally had to reformat my entire PC and begin over.

If Roxio works for you, Great ! BUT should have trouble with something at a later date - don't forget to tell those helping you that you have Roxio, many times it's a factor :(.

14. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

ALL, last night I used Shink to rip, reauthor and compress then Decrypter to burn my first DVD backup that had video, audio and a working menu!! EMTJay now I know how you felt the first time you did it! Sounds silly but it's exciting! There I go talking like a newbie.

BroBear did I say it correctly? That's not meant as a snaggy remark. You had a good point in your earlier post. I must learn to think in those terms then I can talk in them. If I'm gonna learn to play with the "Big Boys" I wanna think and talk like one of the "Big Boys".

My only complaint about the backup is that I still have to see all the time alloted to the menues where I used Still Images, before the backup gets to the working menu where I click to go to the movie. I got around it last night by clicking Next Chapter in Nero Show Time, Real Player and Windows Media Player.

I used the main Title 1 movie file and hunted through the menues until I found the one I wanted. Then I substituted Still Image for all the other Menues and Extras in I,Robot. There must be a way to use Shrink without having to include those Still Images?

Wait! Something just triggered in my head as a result of Pete's post to me! I should Compress the Still Images as much as possible during the editing or reauthoring stage. Could I be onto something guys? Headed in the right direction?

You know one of these days I'm gonna do what BigOrange suggested to me in his Making DVD Backups Process Clarification on page 3 and use AnyDVD and Recode 2 and see how that works out. I want to experiment with Shrink & Decrypter, then AnyDVD and Recode2 to see which is easier.

One last thing, Pete you mention using only Nero. Are you talking about using Recode2 to rip, author, compress and Nero to burn?

Before I do anymore burning I'm off to the Nero web site to download their latest release that includes LightScribe! [bold]UPDATE:[/bold] The Ahead Nero web site said the update to a version with Light Scribe would be available 02-01-05. Unless I'm mistaken it's 02-21-05. Wish they'd get it posted, I've seen Light Scribe, in my humble opinion it's awesome. A great alternative to those sticky lable things that goo up your drive.

I'll post and let ya know, thanks for listening to me ramble, Mike

15. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hey there Mike!
    Its good to see you had your first successful burn. I remember that feeling. Now I am a burning fanatic! I still have to use the DVDShrink and Nero process but thats ok. You will have to let me know how AnyDVD works for you! Well you take care and happy burning to ya!

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

FYI BigOrange - this statement from your Shrink Quickie Guide on page 2 is correct if you’re using Full Disk and making a back-up of the title movie only, but not if you’re trying to include a working menu. “5a- you can raise compression or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.”

Mike, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but this holds exactly true for making a full copy backup including movie, menu, and not any extras you wish to keep.

If you click on extras without opening them up, then choose "substitute still image", You will have movie only with a fully functional menu. Any extra you choose with your remote will show a picture saying this video has been removed. This will reduce compression on the main movie title. Trust me on this, I've been doing this a long time. heh heh :>)

Pete is exactly right on the DTS, unless you're so equipped, it's the one audio you won't hear when playing back. You do know you can set shrink to pick only english audio and english subtitles automatically, don't you?(it's in the guide) Then you never have to worry about it, just tun it on and go ahead with your editing, compression, etc. and forget about your audio and subtitles.

Also, Recode will not rip, but using it with Anydvd running will enable you to rip the movie and only have to open one app, Recode. I just let Anydvd come on with startup and run in the background all the time since it's CPU is minimal. And yes, I think it is the easiest way to backup a Dvd.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mike,

What the "Big" O said.
    Iffin you wish to use Recode2 to do your editing work, there is a guide for that in my sig.

Burn on . . . .

Cheers, "P"

18. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

RoadRunner connection is bad today, sorry guys another multiple post. RR is gradually upgrading their network standard RR speeds from 5Mbps down to 8Mbps, will still with 512Kbps up. Maybe the bad connection today means they're working on the south end of Columbus in Merion Village where I live. Hope so, Mike

19. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

BigOrange - yes I know that now, after I posted that comment. I should have removed that already.

Pete - are you talking about your guide to using Decrypter and Recode2?

[bold]UPDATED QUESTION:[/bold] Just wondering if anybody besides me uses InCD? If so, do you like it?

Thanks, Mike

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yes Mike, That's the one -