1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD burning supposed to be near impossible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EMTJay, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mike, Pete's guide for decrypter and recode work fine, if you would like to try AnyDvd and recode, anydvd has a free 21 day trial and my recode guide is in this thread. It will enable you to burn on the fly without ripping to the hard drive first. If there isn't a lot of editing to do I like burning on the fly, if I'm gonna do much work on the movie I like ripping to the hard drive first and then use those files. Burning on the fly with recode is (to me) the easiest method of backing op a DVD there is. You might want to try both ways and see what you think.

Most people have no need for packet writing software and also InCD has been known to cause problems with other DVD software. It is, a lot like Roxio in that respect, so it's the one Nero app I don't have installed on my PC.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mike,

InCD is a packet writing app and like all packet writing apps cause issues with other proggys. If you're running it without any problems, God Bless BUT at the first sign of a problem with other programs, my advice, shut it down. The easiest way if it's already on your system, un-check it in msconfig. If, for some reason, you're reinstalling Nero, just don't install it to begin with -

Cheers,

Pete :)

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Pete is right, packet writing software is usually bad news. I've been one of the lucky percent of Roxio users, but I had to turn off Drag to Disc in Easy Creator when I was recording DVDs. InCD in the Nero suite is a similar packet writing program. That one I had to completely delete from the system. As for the Roxio, the drivers can also be problematic. As Pete pointed out, in some cases it takes special steps to be rid of the traces of Roxio. The more recent versions of Roxio are not as problematic as the older ones and the DVD backup app by itself is a sound program. Recently Sonic bought into Roxio and Sonic is a well known name in recording software.

4. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hi Everyone!!
    I just wanted to write a post to keep everyone updated. First off let me start by expressing my sadness to the end of DVD Decrypter's "reign." Anyway, its been a few months now since I found the solution to my DVD Back-up woes and so far I haven't run into any problems. I want to thank everyone involved in making this a not-so-frustrating situation!!

Jay

5. brobear

brobear Guest

"Alas poor Uric, I knew him well..." The demise of DVD Decrypter is a horrible thing to have happen. The death knell for DVD Decrypter is sad indeed. Decrypter is/was one of the top tools available, retail or freeware. I use the app quite often for ripping files to the HDD. It's not the only ripper I use, but it is the best of its type for my usage. I also find the driver type decrypters handy in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The one thing we can be thankful for is that DVDD will be ripping for sometime to come.

As it was updated for today's encryptions it will be a while before the evil MPAA will generate enough different encryptions to make it worthless.

My prediction ?

The next proggy they will set their sights upon will be AnyDVD. They'll have no other choice. It's too good a proggy to allow it to go without throwing everything they have at it to shut it down.

Let the pissing contest begin. The name of this game will be, who has the largest lawyer bankroll.

My 2-cents.

Pete

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

Pete, think Antigua and countries that haven't bought into the millenium copyright controls from Big Brother. They'd have to extradite developers at this point and I've heard of no countries giving up their citizens over this yet. The option on AnyDVD would be to buy it. If they started that, how many developers would write their own rippers to cash in. An interesting dilemma for the movie industry. Island Thunder has nothing to fear until Antigua sells itself into the copyright protection group. I wonder how many politicians the movie industry would have to buy to make that happen. It took a bunch in the US and EU. Then it's our entertainment dollars they're spending. They're using the money we spend against us. The entertainment industry can't lose as long as the public wants their products.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2005
  8. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Hey guys,

I apologize for this very delayed thank you to Pete and BB for their always excellent advice on InCD. I really didn't use it much anyway and now I won't at all. However with that being said, the concept of what it's for is great, I just wish it worked better.

As for me, I wasn't visiting After Dawn or much of anywhere else there for awhile, as I got drawn into family BS for awhile, but now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I'm really glad the powers that be reopened this thread. I received email telling me it was closed or locked or whatever.

So - what are you guys talking about the demise of DVD Decrypter? What have I missed that I need to know?

Where's everybody hanging out these days? What threads are worth reading? You guys will know, you always do!!

Thanks as always, Mike

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Buddy,

Glad to sea ya came back to haunt us (Lol :)

Tis sad but true about DVD Decrypter BUT we still have it here -

I PMed you with the story of the passing of DVDD SOooooo, "You've got mail."

Cheers,

Pete

10. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Pete, thanks. I received your PM and have the version of DVDD that's posted. Really sorry to hear about that kind of BS happening.

Mike

11. brobear

brobear Guest

tallguy53
    Tis sad LUK was forced to drop support of DVD Decrypter. However, there are so many copies and sites downloading the last version, it's not likely to disappear soon. I've been using AnyDVD as well as the DVD Decrypter for some time now. They both have their uses which aren't duplicated by the other. I'm still using the Decrypter, and have yet to notice any problems. I guess it will happen, but the many movies recorded until that time occurs is enough to ensure future longevity of the app. Decrypter should be with us for some time as Shrink has held on. Support was dropped, but the program is very much alive and well. The movie industry may force us to purchase some retail software, but I doubt they're going to slow down the backup of movies very much. Since I already have retail software in my library, it's a non-issue for me.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    It appears the last version is still available here at AD. Glad AD can still tell the movie industry to stick it... Seems their country's laws allow more freedom than those controlled by the entertainment industry.

Forgot to point out... there appears to be the 321 phenomenon repeating itself; something gets banned and more people want it. Look at the current top downloads list here at AD, last I checked, DVDD was at the top. If Decrypter went retail from an offshore source, the owner would probably get rich with updated versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2005
  12. Frodo731

Frodo731 Guest

Hey, I'm surprised nobody has picked up on your problem, after reading down to your error, I realised what you're doing wrong...Same as me, to burn dvd's you need to convert to NTFS, they just won't work on Fat32.

I trust you're using windows xp or windows 2000, yes?
    if so, then use this to help you.

Q: Is it possible to convert a FAT32 Hard Drive to NTFS without losing all data on the drive? I like to change from FAT32 to NTFS, my operating system is Windows XP PRO, how can I do that? Without the lost of my programs?
    A: Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

You access the command prompt in winxp/2000 by clicking on start...run then type cmd

do this, it'll reboot your system, and ta da, successful dvd's
    if you email me, I just might have some other good news for you

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

'fraid no email addresses, it's against forum rules..

14. Frodo731

Frodo731 Guest

My sincer apologies, I had forgotton the rule of email addresses. Can you remove it, and I'll see it never happens again.
    Frodo731

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@Frodo731

Just use the edit button on the side of the post, looks like pad and pencil, and edit out your email addy :~)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  16. brobear

brobear Guest

Frodo731,
    You may be wrong on not being able to record with a FAT32 partition. DVD Shrink, which is a decent freeware app (downloadable here at AD), is supposed to handle the task. It can do it using 98SE as the operating system. Shrink splits files to accomplish the task. The author of the app did it to address the FAT32 problem. I don't have a FAT32 system myself, but I've heard others say it works. However, it is preferable to use a more modern OS such as XP with the NTFS file system. Plus, it is better to have the newer systems the NTFS is usually on. There's a lot in what hardware one is trying to use for recording.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You are 100% correct brobear.

Frodo, You can do DVD with FAT32 or NTFS. It's just a lot more convienent to use NTFS. I also use NTFS, but way back in the stone ages when I 1st got into the DVD game, before I partitioned my C drive, I used FAT32, it will work on DVD. Problem is it only goes to 4g or so while NTFS goes to 10g or so, therefore it creates a little more hassle and thus a little more work. But, it can be done.

If you want you can partition your HDD to NTFS and leave all your data at FAT32 without any data loss. It's easy to do or you can use a little freebie app called Partition Magic 8 to do it for you.