1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS DVD RAM really that bad, have I just been robbed???

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by se99paj, Apr 5, 2004.

1. se99paj

se99paj Guest

I have just bought a new laptop that came with a new DVD writer, I thought it would be a good option especially for backing up information.

I have since been messing around with the drive trying to record Blank DVD RAM's, but I'm having a few problems, first of all I keep getting asked to insert a blank disc even though the discs are already blank, is there anyway to format them or something like that??

The type of DVD drive is a Matshita DVD RAM UJ-815A, I'm beginning to think it is what it sounds like. I guess from the DVD RAM bit that there is no way I can use a different format, or at least get discs with more space??

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Does the writer have the ability to burn DVD-RW's? If so that's what I would use.

My drive does support DVD-RAM but I almost never use it. I find them a pain to deal with. The only time I use them is if I'm doing something with my stand alone recorder. Being a Panasonic the only re-writable format it supports is DVD-RAM.

3. se99paj

se99paj Guest

I have been looking to see what it is and isn't compatible with but I'm having trouble, there doesn't seem to be any obvious websites!!

I will talk to the manufacturers of the laptop tomorrow and see what they say...

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

5. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

That drive supports DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW only (no '+' support).

Your best bet would be getting some slower -R blanks (perhaps 2X - it would give you the best chance of the drive recognizing the media; that drive maxes at 2X for -R and 1X for -RW; I am not sure if hacked firmware for PC bumps -RW speed to 2X) and some decent DVD burning software (Nero, CopyToDVD, etc.)

Since I have no experience with -RAM media (and probably not that many users do) I cannot comment on that issue...

6. se99paj

se99paj Guest

Problem solved guys, I got some support from the manufacturers. I had to download some software that is specifically for DVD-RAM.

I didn't realise that DVD-RAM works differently to normal DVD's. The drive acts like a drag and drop DVD, the only problem is you cannot use normal writing software.

I'm now having a crack at writing some DVD-RW, I'm having a few problems with them at the moment, but I'll have a look around the forum first.

7. nicnic

nicnic Member

Hi,

I've got one of they. (It's in a Higrade Ultiinote M6600, but I've come across a couple of people with them, so I'm guessing they are relatively common).

As per the above, you cant use "+" discs [which, for me, was the cause of your original symptom].

I've since used the following (ordinary) DVD discs with no problem :

PackardBell DVD-RW 1x (35GBP for 10 in Dixons)
    Imation DVD-RW (10GBP for 3 in Rymans)
    TDK DVD-RW (10GBP for 3 in John Lewis).

I always burn DVDs at 1x.

The software that comes with the PC is "Nero Burning ROM". It sometimes tells you that there is a 'possible burning error' (and something else that sounds quite terrible) when you set up a new write, but if you click past that it always turns out fine. Also, it sometimes shows a popup option box that says you're trying to put more data on the disc than it can hold (when the blue bar at the bottom of the screen has suggested the opposite). Again, click past that and it always turns out OK.

I've had no trouble writing to a range of CDs (all RWs) at speeds upto 8x.

I've not tried the RAM/Drag and drop method. What is the software and where did you get it from? What discs have you been successful with?

Also, I'm on the lookout for cheaper media (DVDRW) than those mentioned above. Would be pleased to hear from people who've had success with particular brands of cheapies with this drive.

cheers

Nic

8. se99paj

se99paj Guest

The link is below:

panasonic.co.jp/mke/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/sw9571drvxp.html

The software allows you to do things with DVD-RAM discs like format them, lock them so the data cannot be changed, it also allows you to do drag and drop like I mentioned earlier. DVD-RAM discs cannot be written using burning software like nero or easy CD creator, the drag and drop method is the only way data can be transferred.

Currently, I've only be using the PC line DVD-RW that I got from PC world (I only go there when I need something in a hurry.) I haven't had any problems with them, I haven't tried much else yet but I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

~~ Just a few words to clarify ! --

DVD-Ram are useful for Drag and Drop storage on your PC.

If your DVD Burner has the DVD-Ram capabilities , it should have come with an installation CD that has DVD-Ram drivers for your O/S.
    Once this is installed ; you can just copy and paste to your DVD-Ram disk anything you want to safeguard.

May I suggest you check your DVD Burner Manufacturer Site where you will find those DVD-Ram Drivers.

LG Electronics Model GSA-4081B does have that feature and the DVD-Ram drivers are available on their website if you've lost your CD..~~

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004