1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is every cd-r in the stores made by cmc mag , what is the deal

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by dvdman101, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

hi ,

i have bought every cd-r that wal-mart , k-mart , radio shack and anywere else i can find -

memorex
    maxell
    fuji
    phillips
    tdk

they are coding out cmc mag , and daxon which is bad also i understand , why is all the cd-r brand's going cmc mag as they seem to be the worst . is the phillips cd-r cmc mag bad disc to use , i am lost as why they are all going to cmc mag to produce their cd-r

2. varnull

varnull Guest

cmc cd-r are ok.. not as good as some branded disks, but fine for most uses..

Last verb cd-r I saw were a mix of cmc's and moser-baer which were very slightly better, but not much.

The trouble with your selection is this.. All those brands are well known for sourcing B media and printing their name on it... though the last Philips I saw were optodisk manufacture and superb.

I have been using Gigatain recently as they seem to be good disks.. mine are again optodisk.. they seem to be a pretty good source. Samsung8xdvd-r disks from them were OK, but the 16x are moser-baer and junk.. damn!

Don't worry too much with cd-r disk brands.. I have cmc made datawrites which are fine 8 years on.. Old formula.. nice and stable if you keep them carefully.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i must agree also. the cmc mag in CD-R format are good media. ive been useing memorex cd-r's for the past 3 years and have not had 1 failure. even the first cd-r i tried burning were cmcmag and it still plays to this day.
    iwouldnt worry to much about them being cmc mag. but yes stay away from them in the dvd-/+r format

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Could not agree more with the people here: especially on this note:

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Did you all miss the announcement

6. 1bonehead

1bonehead Guest

I thought everyone knew this !!! (LOL)

7. varnull

varnull Guest

My ears mustn't be big enough XD

8. engage16

engage16 Regular member

Walmart has 50pk of sony cd-r's for 12 bucks...

9. rqb2001

rqb2001 Member

If you can find Maxell Pro cdr's, get them because thye code out to be Tayo Yuden.

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Maxell Pro/Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs may be the best quality CD-Rs produced today, but: 1) they tend to be more expensive than other CD-Rs, and 2) the dye used in them is less stable than that of most other CD-Rs. The difference in quality is negligible: it is more a question of production uniformity than of single-disc quality parameters. That is, you are less likely to find a problem disc for every 1,000 discs in a Taiyo Yuden batch than in a batch produced by CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, or MBI; but you would have to go through tens of thousands of discs to confirm that. On the other hand, the dye used by the others is more stable in light and heat and ought to last four times longer if recordings are of high initial quality.

11. tafkas

tafkas Member

I've had nothing but problems with CMC mag CDRs and refuse to buy them. Testing them for errors after writing at various speeds, from different drives, they all have wayyyy too many errors for me :p

12. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Ridata (Ritek) CDR's are still made in Tiawan. Microcenter stopped carrying all Ritek media in the stores & replaced it with Philips. The Philips DVD's are CMC while the Philips CDR's say made in China on the wrapper. As I have no experience with made in China CD's I'll stay with Ritek, Verbatim or Tayio Yuden.

13. tmh62265

tmh62265 Member

There are 3 major manufacturers of CDR media in the world - CMC, Ritek & Moser Biar out of India. Taiyo Yuden was the first maker of the media but does not produce much any longer. CMC supplies the major brands the media - brands such as TDK, Memorex, Imation as well as many of the private label brands in the market which is why you see most of the media with CMC tag. NOTE: TDK & Memorex brands are ownded by Imation.