1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is HD DVD Dying ???????

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by ofield, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hello,

I just received a email from Netflix that states they are no longer going to rent HD DVD Movies and go Exclusively with Blue Ray.

They say they will keep the HD Dvd Titles they have on hand, but
    will not be receiving any new ones.

I just bought a HD Dvd Player did I make a Big Mistake......

2. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

My opinion (Without a doubt a minority one), is no, you are no screwed.

The Netflix decision hurts but let's face it, they'll do whatever the consumer ultimately decides...And with so many HD-DVD titles in existence over BluRay, it's gonna be a while before it 'disappears'...Plus, if consumers stick with HD-DVD, Netflix and others will flip right back around to make them available.

Moreover, HD-DVD players remain cheaper AND can upconvert standard DVDs (Something BluRay cannot do).

So, unless you paid a fortune for your HD-DVD player, I think you're fine.

3. juankerr

juankerr Member

Ummm, not true.

All BluRay players including the PS3 can upconvert standard DVD's.

4. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

I use Netflix and just checked out the site. Where does it say they no longer will carry HD-DVD? It is still on the site as being available. I see an article on the Blu-Ray site, but cannot find it at Netflix.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Was in Yahoo! News earlier today. HD DVD will be phased out thru attrition apparently.

6. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Doesn't look good!! But who know's what will happen..

[​IMG]

This is an email I just recieved today

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Hmm, I wonder what they will be doing with all their HD DVD media? I sure would like to pick up w/e they are getting rid of.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I wouldn't pick up anything with a scratch. My last 9 or 10 HD DVD rentals from them had varying degrees of scratching and smudging. Each and every one of them had moderate to severe skipping and stuttering problems and at least 2 were unplayable at some point.

All my BluRay rentals from Netflix and Blockbuster had the same scratches and smudges but because of the hard coating there were no playback problems.

9. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sorry to hear that but, I never had that problem. Biggest problem I had with Netflix was when those stupid bastards would send me the SD version instead of the HD DVD version. If they were selling them for 5-10 dollars, I would definitely pick up a few titles.

10. SpudNuts

SpudNuts Member

Personally, I would make a statement by closing your account and going elsewhere. I would also make it a point to them that the reason your leaving is because of their decision to dump HD-DVD.

11. mbenson

mbenson Member

It doesn't really matter what you do, it's gone. You had to know that one of them was going to go away. It was a matter of time.

Once the movie companies move to one format, and they are, it's over. Even Microsoft put out a statement a couple of weeks ago saying that at least there is still time for them to move to support Blue-Ray.

And today on the news, I saw that Walmart was going to be exclusively selling Blue-Ray equipment starting this June. The retailers knew it was coming, so they are now preparing for it.

Hell, we could see it coming. When the cost of HD-DVD players dropped in price by 25% in 2007, that was a sign for me.

I was waiting for a clearcut winner before jumping on board. I know now that it is Blue-Ray, so I will buy soon. I made the mistake of buying a BETA VCR back in the day, so I didn't want to get into anoher 50/50 draw with that much money.

12. mbenson

mbenson Member

I can't find an exact link, but it was Time Warner that went to Blue ray exclusively..

<a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/5420-13817_7-0.html?forumID=104&messageID=2556545&threadID=169542">here</a> is a link to CNET's quick guide: HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray which shows a list of companies following them..

13. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

All this format war has proven is that money talks, not the consumer or the technology...With all the studios lining up one direction and merchants as well, consumers had no say in what happened.

And for those quick to jump into BluRay players, remember this...The players won't be dropping in price anytime soon with no competition.

Personally, I have a small collection of HD-DVDs and can still play standard DVDs...As long as I can see Planet Earth in HD, I'm content.

14. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

@ aspire, don't forget to check out DeepDiscount.com for some excellent deals on HD DVD. Prices range from 12 dollars to 26 dollars on all their HD DVD media. ;)

15. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Actually you have it the other way around.

With HD DVD there was only Toshiba and no one else. They had no competition and they artificially lowered the prices of hardware so much so that it became unprofitable for anyone else to manufacture or develop HD DVD players. In the end it contributed to their demise. (HT to error5)

Remember that the Venturer and the Onkyo were actually rebadged Toshibas.

With BluRay there is competition and it will be between the different hardware makers: Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, Denon, Sharp, Philips, Harman Kardon etc. PLUS, as revealed at CES 2008, a yet unnamed Chinese maker.

The current hardware prices of BluRay players are more reasonable for a 2 year old, relatively new piece of technology. The hardware manufacturers are able to sustain growth and profitability and are able to fund further R&D to improve their product. Eventually prices should come down.

Toshiba's prices were unrealistically low that it created an illusion that high def hardware can be sustainable at those levels. The losses they incurred and the final death of the format showed otherwise.

16. ofield

ofield Regular member

Well Let's Be Honest,

The Playstation 3 won the Blue Ray War not the overpriced bugged
    players. I truly believe if the playstation3 didn't include Blue
    Ray. Blue Ray would have been in real trouble........

17. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Exactly.

18. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

eatsushi, a well informed and thoughtful post as always. From my understanding, it usually takes a few years before any new major technological advancement starts making profit.

Your post has highlighted the ever apparant bombardment from the HD-DVD camp that Blu-ray players are over priced. As your post indicates it was the artificial reduction of HD-DVD hardware (born out of desperation to clear stock before it folds) that set an unrealistic benchmark among consumers to expect this wonderful new technology at next to regular DVD hardware prices.

Doesn't anybody remember how much regular DVD players were when they were first introduced into the market? Why is it that we expect it to be different this time?

I agree with that but on the flip side. See my post here to explain my thoughts better... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/628934/3814116 (3rd & 4th paragraph)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  19. mbenson

mbenson Member

Without getting into a console fight, some people would say the same thing if HD-DVD came out on top.

The bottom line is, that, the marketing for the technologies is how we decide. And we, the consumer, decided. Not everyone buys something because it is better. More people are buying into Blu-ray, so it wins. Some people bought into it because of the PS3, some liked the name. Whatever.

I liked HD-DVD, based on the technical specs. I had guessed that HD-DVD would win, but my idea of a better product doesn't mean they are going to win. That's why I waited.

20. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Thanks Ryu77.

Here's a little bit of proof (at least in the UK) that Blu player prices are not necessarily going up.

http://www.t3.com/news/blu-ray-player-sales-up-seven-fold?=35296

Blu-ray player sales up seven-fold

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008