1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is HD-DVD on life support?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by BAMFstang, Jan 7, 2008.

1. BAMFstang

BAMFstang Member

With the announcement that Warner is going Blu-Ray only, is it the final nail in the coffin for HD-DVD?

This really irritates me because I recently bought a HD-DVD player and have about 25 movies already and now it may be coming to an end.

These companies should be made to compensate us in some way. Buy back our discs or give us value on trade in for Blu-Ray discs when this format does indeed die.

We should not be penalized because we supported a format that failed.

2. aussoldat

aussoldat Member

I agree with you 100%, its not fair. You have spent all that money on a player and dvd's and what for?.
    I myself was ready to go out and by a HDDVD player within the next few weeks, not now.

3. roger32

roger32 Member

No company is going to reimburse you for a product that failed. That's the price of being an early adopter. Next time you should research a product before you decide to endorse it. HDDVD is an inferior product to blu-ray. My advise to you is to try and sell off your HDDVD and your movie collection to some unsuspecting individual before it's too late.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

What makes HD-DVD inferior to Blu-Ray? They are both the same product, sure Blu-Ray has that extra layer of encryption but, other then that they are the same product.

5. misfit410

misfit410 Member

Not to start a flamewar but I suggest you take your own advice

Blu-Ray is lacking any of the compelling features the HD-DVD offers, it lacks the amount of Codec support so in the end the HD-DVD has better picture quality. BD Profile 1.1 came along to TRY to copy some of the features HD-DVD had that made Blu-Ray look like garbage in comparison but only managed to bring them halfway there(and early adopters of Blu-Ray are screwed because they need a new player to have those features). Features being all of the cool PIP you can pull up for extras, watching extras on HD-DVD is great, you just pull up in a PIP window, never lose your place in the movie.. on Blu-Ray it's a chore. HD-DVD is an evolution, Blu-Ray is just the same as DVD only in High definition, and that means it's just as clumsy and cumbersome (want to watch extras? leave the movie, watch them in a boring section made for them and then try to find the place you left off in the movie because it won't do it for you)

The only thing Blu-Ray has going for it is storage space, so maybe it's the large amount of folks who purchased Blu-Ray on hype that should have done some research.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  6. roger32

roger32 Member

HD-DVD is inferior to Blu-ray because:

HD DVD, for example, has a transfer rate up to a maximum of 36.55 mbps, almost twice that of HDTV broadcast television. Blu-ray is even faster, with a bit rate on prerecorded discs (ROM) of up to 54 mbps. These higher rates mean better, cleaner images. In addition, there are two other compression methods for squeezing more into the same space. These are called MPEG-4 (also known as H.264) and VC-1 (also known as WM9). These two methods are more advanced and more robust than MPEG-2 (according to their respective proponents), requiring lower transfer rates to achieve the highest-quality, full-resolution high-definition pictures. An HD DVD demo disc encoded in VC-1 and provided by Toshiba has an average bit rate of just 12 mbps.

The differences are in the details. While both disc formats create high-definition images, the discs themselves are slightly different. With HD DVD, the layer where the information is recorded is 0.6 millimeters into the disc. Blu-ray's layer is only 0.1 mm deep. Blu-ray originally needed a protective caddy, but new coatings make it unnecessary. Both formats use pits in a reflective layer to store the digital data. The pits are smaller in the Blu-ray format, resulting in a larger storage capability per layer. A single-layer read-only Blu-ray disc (ROM) used for the prerecorded content has a capacity of 25 GB. A single-layer HD DVD can store 15 GB.

Taken from www.hometheatermag.com

7. misfit410

misfit410 Member

You need to check your eyes, VC-1 is far superior to MPEG2.
    Go rent a few movies that are multiplatform(few good suggestions are Ultraviolet, house of Flying Daggers).

you will see on HD-DVD they are crisp and perfect but on Blu-Ray suffer from blockiness and color saturation. So far the only Blu-Ray release that has looked exceptional is Ratatouille.

I challenge you to find a multiplatform release that looks better on Blu-Ray. The BR players support VC-1 and AVC but most if not all of the Blu-ray movies have been done in MPEG-2, it's inferior to VC-1 without argument, Blu-Ray has just started to see some VC-1 encoded movies and they are finally AS GOOD as HD-DVD in picture quality.. but since you paid twice as much for a player that still has less features, is identicle good enough?

All HD-DVD players have storage.
    All HD-DVD players have a NIC.
    HD-DVD players have TrueHD
    HD-DVD supports dual-stream decoding.

the first few are optional on Blu-Ray, so can not really be taken advantage of on a large scale, Dual steam decoding still not there.

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sorry but, I don't believe just because it can hold 10 more gigs of disk space on a sigle layer makes HD-DVD inferior to Blu-Ray.

9. misfit410

misfit410 Member

Correct, Ratatouille is the award winner for best looking Blu-Ray movie, it comes on a 25G disc.

10. roger32

roger32 Member

See that's the problem with many of the people that post to this forum. The fact that they are looking at the here and now and not considering that Blu-ray offers to the consumer a wider range of future features. The space may not be a major difference to you now, but as features continue to expand that extra 10gigs will come in handy.

11. BAMFstang

BAMFstang Member

Well I know that a company won't reimburse, that's just wishful thinking. However without early adopters, these new products would never get off the ground in the first place.

I did do my research before buying and I chose the format that is superior but sadly "Joe Public" isn't as informed and simply buy into whatever the cool commercials tell them to.

If HD-DVD dies and Blu-Ray becomes the only kid on the block, you can be assured that prices will remain artificially high for a very long time. They have to recoup the money paid to the studios for the exclusive deals they agreed to.

12. roger32

roger32 Member

Actually, I have done my homework and purchased a PS3 in 2006. I can not only play my Blu-ray movies, but I can also enjoy playing games on the format as well. As for the need to buy a new player, I can just upgrade my firmware to gain the most recent profile. Currently I have profile 1.1 and will eventually be able to upgrade to profile 2.0 due to the internet connectivity of the PS3. The PS3 was the best purchase for the money at a time when the format was introduced, and will continue to be. Who the hell cares about PIP (a last generation feature that was removed from most if not all TVs).

13. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Well if the 51GB triple-layer disk is ever approved, there you have it, more space for more features on HD-DVD. Just as misfit stated, Blu-Ray lacks features that HD-DVD offers such as, the PIP option and the the web-enabled features. I'm not trying to start any flame war but, your statement about Blu-Ray being more superior then HD-DVD just doesn't have any truth to it.

14. roger32

roger32 Member

and what, did you think that HDDVD wouldn't do the same for the $150 million they used to bribe paramount and universal to side with them. I really can't see how you all are saying that HDDVD is superior. Most of you are only citing features that both formats are capable of.

15. misfit410

misfit410 Member

LOL, you just said PS3 has games.
    And did someone before you just claim that storage space=features?

PS3 is the only pre-october model that could be upgraded, but it is not relevant in the market(neither in movie nor gaming markets these days). Those features can not be supported on a large scale if only one player model supports them, or even if the majority do not(which is the case)

16. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I never said that HD-DVD was superior, I actually said they where pretty much the same product if you look at my first post. You are the one that stated "HD-DVD is an inferior product to Blu-Ray."; all I wanted to know is what proof you had to back up your statement. All that money Sony lost on those BOGO deals they ran and all the money they have used to persuade these big name movie companies to join them is just going to end up hurting the people that bought into Blu-Ray. I don't see Blu-Ray having decent prices out on any of there hardware for awhile if they end up taking this.

17. roger32

roger32 Member

51 GB is a good start but Blu-ray has already made 100GB disks and 200GB are on the horizon.

18. roger32

roger32 Member

Thats a bunch of bull. The PS3 accounts for a large portion of the Blu-ray players in the market (as many of you Pre-Warner HDDVD fanboys were so eager to point out). Each of these players will be upgradable. It looks like we PS3 owners (early adopters) are reaping the benefits.

19. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea, ok, due to Sony's marketing strategy with the PS3(Trojan Horse)that accounts for mostly all the success they have accomplished. Take away that and do you think their format would be as successful?

20. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

Very sad I was going to get an xbox360 hddvd in the sales,with that leaflet to get 5 free movies,wont bother now...

Its a pity it looks to be ending so fast,the market needs competition,cant see the companies going out of their way to entice ous now...

Its all in the name I guess,hd-dvd just sounds,well boring...Blu ray sounds all future and s**t,you hear alot people saying whats blu ray?

Not so much with hd-dvd....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008