1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it illegal to use a bittorrent to download tv shows?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by capt2278, Apr 10, 2007.

1. capt2278

capt2278 Member

is it illegal to use a bittorrent to download tv shows? Recording tv shows is not illegal. I assume that sharing those recorded shows with someone is not illegal..... so, is downloading via any bittorrent program illegal?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Which country / state / territory/ province are you asking about?

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

some shows are illegal to record. for instance, in the US, it's illegal to record the Super Bowl on your home vcr.

4. capt2278

capt2278 Member

From the US.

What? illegal to record the superbowl? All tv shows are supposed to be legal to record (last time it was tested it was ok to record via VCR). Now that DVR's are around, people are recording and sharing and keeping digitally recorded TV shows.

So, question is, is it illegal to download a digitaly recorded tv show?

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah. without the "expressed written permission of Fox (or whoever's doing the superbowl now)", you can't record it legally. *legally.* people still do it.

and yes, in the US, it's illegal to download those shows, as they are still copyrigted material and it's still illegal to download copyrighted material. but again, people still do it.

6. capt2278

capt2278 Member

then how is it legal to have DVR's? and to share between DVR's of different users? ot to download it to another digital device?

I know it is illegal to copy and share a ripped dvd, but these are just recorded tv shows off of public broadcasting?

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

certain broadcasts *are* allowed to be recorded, such as shows on PBS, the news, etc etc. i don't know the exact laws.

as far as i know, everything on tv (except community broadcast stuff) is copyrighted, but some falls under some type of fair use that allows you to record and store it for personal use only. these would be the *only* shows you can legally share, though many that are illegal are shared anyway.

8. ireland

ireland Active member

9. ireland

ireland Active member

10. ireland

ireland Active member

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act - DMCA

Many commercial movies are protected. Not all movies are protected.Unfortunately, current interpretation of laws in some countries, including the US, prohibits distribution of software that has the ability to copy commerical movies.

If you live in the United States, please understand that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) passed in 1998 does not expressly prohibit consumers from making backup copies of digital works - only the sale & distribution of tools that circumvent copy prevention technologies.

he Digital Millennium Copyright Act - DMCA

Also read the article DMCA Revisited

Introduction

Back until September '99 CSS - Content Scrambling System - was considered secure, at least if the movie industry was concerned. But in late September 99 I read the small note at inmatrix.com that CSS had been broken. Although there had been many cryptanalysts telling that CSS was not safe and rather easy to crack it took rather long till it cracking actually happened. Later in '99 the MPAA learned of an utility called DeCSS which allows people to decrypt the VOB files to your hard disk. It's important to know that copying DVDs was possible way before that. As soon as you have a software DVD player running you can copy any file on a DVD to your hard disk - but it will still be encrypted. However it might be possible to put the encrypted content on a recordable DVD and play it back without actually having to decrypt CSS. Soon after the MPAA learned of this utility, they started out sending letters like that to sites that were offering DeCSS. They pointed out that the DMCA would forbid circumventing CSS and therefore that utility would be illegal. Many providers complied to their demands and shut down websites offering the utility. On December 27 '99 the DVD-CCA - DVD Copy Control Association - launched a lawsuit in California against about 600 people worldwide who were offering DeCSS for download. In the first instance their motion for a preliminary injunction was denied but later on it was granted. That process made it widely know that CSS could be cracked and it was the first time that this was widely reported in the press. On January 15 2000 the MPAA launched a lawsuit against several website suing under the DMCA for circumvention of a copy-protection scheme. The motion for a preliminary injunction was granted on January 24. Later on the MPAA tried to expand to lawsuit to bar 2600.org from even linking to DeCSS.

So here we go...

The 105th congress of the United States of America devised the following Act during their 2nd session starting on January 27th 1998. It was ratified by Congress on October 21st and signed into law on October 28th 1998.

The whole act is quite long and I will only make reference to the actual document which can be downloaded on my site and I will only treat the sections which I think are important in this matter.

to much to post
    link

http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/291998

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  11. ireland

ireland Active member

The DMCA: seven year review

p2p news / p2pnet: It's now approaching a decade since the US Congress enabled the infamous Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and, "examples of the law's impact on legitimate consumers, scientists, and competitors continue to mount," says the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation).

"Rather than being used to stop 'piracy,' the DMCA has predominantly been used to threaten and sue legitimate consumers, scientists, publishers, and competitors," says EFF senior staff attorney Fred von Lohmann.

"This law is not being used as Congress intended, and a review of the past seven years makes it clear that reform is needed."

The DMCA chills free expression and scientific research, jeopardizes fair use, impedes competition and innovation and interferes with other laws on the books, says the EFF, and with this, and more, in mind, has released Unintended Consequences: Seven Years Under the DMCA, the fourth update to the original 2003 paper.

more here
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/330108

12. capt2278

capt2278 Member

so, if I had a crappy copy of a tv show on my DVR, but I wanted a HDTV recording, it would still be illegal to get it from someone else as that is not covered under "personal" use.

right?