1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it my dvd player?? help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by glock36, Sep 6, 2007.

1. glock36

glock36 Member

hi everyone im having a lil prob i burned 2 moveis using nero 7
    on memorex dvd r 16x disc i have an old emerson dvd playr the first movie started playing fine but it has these lil white black square like things jumping around all over the place not watchable the 2nd dvd played beautifully no probs? what is wrong the dvd plays fine in my comp is it my dvd player i was thinkin bout upgrading to the sony progressive scan dvd player any help will be appreciated thanks

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Your problem is most likely the Memorex media combined with burn speed used.....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  3. glock36

glock36 Member

thanks i used 4x should i reburn at slower 2x?? and whats a good dvd-r to use

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

There is not enough information to draw any conclusion. What model drive did you use to record? What version of firmware does it have? Were the discs DVD+ or DVD-R?

If the discs play in a DVD-ROM drive, there are not fatal errors on them. If a picture comes up from the Emerson--even a poor picture--that indicates that the file format is correct.

Some people simply blame the disc as soon as Memorex is mentioned because of the anti-Memorex, anti-CMC bias on this site. (There are also anti-HP, anti-Philips, anti-Prodisc, anti-TDK, anti-anything-that-isn't-Taiyo Yuden/Verbatim biases that do the same thing.)

Based on your description of the problem, the evidence points to the Emerson player but there is not enough evidence to draw a solid conclusion. If you can answer the questions in the first paragraph, that information can help determine the likely cause.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  5. glock36

glock36 Member

i used the drive that came with my dell inspiron 8600 i dunno what its called lol

6. glock36

glock36 Member

also ists dvd-r 16x

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Nero has a utility called "Tools" in the Smart Start Display. Double-click on that tool and then select "Nero CD-DVD Speed." Your drive ID string (the technical name of the drive model) will appear to the right of the Nero logo. The last few digits/letters define the firmware version. If a recordable disc is in the drive, clicking on the "Disc Info" tab will identify the M-code of the disc. Dell, Gateway, and many other OEM laptops suppliers use good drives that are often poorly supportive of a variety of different M-codes available. Sometimes Dell and the others will offer a firmware update that improves things a bit, but too often the consumer is left with whatever Dell decides to ship.

It is possible that the drive you have is OK with the discs you used but that the Emerson (Funai?) DVD player is not properly reading the discs. Since the discs are DVD-R and the Emerson probably has a DVD Forum logo on it, it should be able to read DVD-R discs.

It is also possible that the computer drive you have is not recording the discs well because the firmware in it does not support the M-code used by the Memorex discs. The Emerson may be having trouble reading poorly recorded discs while the computer drive's error correction can fix things. [The fact that one disc worked in the Emerson and the other did not could mean even more things--the default write strategy worked better with one disc than the other; or the write strategy is OK but one disc was fault and the other was not (that doesn't explain how it worked on the computer drive though); or even that the one disc that did not work had dust on it when in the Emerson but was cleaner in the computer drive--if it works a second time in the Emerson, that is evidence that supports that argument.)

Nero CD-DVD Speed also has a "Disc Quality" tab that will show an error profile of the discs as they are being read on the drive in the computer. You can check both discs to see if they differ in their error profiles. If they do not differ, and the error rates are low, that points again to the Emerson has having the problem. (It points to the Emerson but does not "convict" it because the Nero scan only tells you how the discs worked on the computer drive, not how well the discs are actually recorded or how good their quality actually is. That requires a calibrated DVD-ROM drive, but the scans are still very handy tools.)

As you can see, trouble-shooting is a complicated process of logical testing and elimination of possible causes. You can try Verbatim discs to see if the same thing happens. Recording drives are generally compatible with Verbatim media; and if the Verbatim media also have problems on the Emerson, the evidence begins to stack up against it as the cause. However, if no problems crop up with it, you might want to consider switching brands for better compatibility.

8. glock36

glock36 Member

hey man thanks for all the help!!!!!!! i figured it out it was a pal nsc?? thing i reburned it and it plays in the old emerson im happy 30 min in the movie starts scratching and stops!! what i put the other movie in just curious about the same time lenght same thing?? new problem haha i dont even know?? my burner, the disk, prob in nero any ideas again haha

9. myoccm

myoccm Member

I'm having some issues with my DVDs. After burning they work fine in the computer, but won't play in my Phillips player. The player is about 11 years old. I have Roxio 10, Pinnacle Studio 11 and nero 6.6 on the computer. I like the studio 11 because it allows me to edit and save custom menus and has the BIAS soundsoap to cleanup audio. I primarily capture VCR and convert to DVD. I'm fairly new at this and may be missing some things. The burner is a LiteScribe in an HP dv9000 series laptop. I've updated the burner with the litescribe utility. I've read that multiple burning programs can cause conflicts, although my burns come out without any errors. Also, maybe a dumb question, but do DVD's have to have a menu or chapters in order to play correctly on commercial players? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yea, Memorex 16x Dv-R discs.