1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible insert a subtitle file in a SVCD image file?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fabianobr, Oct 25, 2004.

1. fabianobr

fabianobr Guest

Hi, This is my first post, I researched in the forum and saw that something like this was already asked but nobody answered. So, I will explain better in order to know if someone can help me. I am grateful.

I got a movie in SVCD format, (.cue and .bin files) without subtitles and later I downloaded DivX subtitles separately in SRT format. I know that I could put the subtitles in the movie extracting mpeg file from SVCD and later convert it into DivX or Xvid format. But if I did this way, the movie would loose quality and all I want is put the subtitles in the SVCD. So I ask: is there somehow to edit a bin file and insert the subtitles in it?

Obs.: Forgive me for my english, I am not an natural born english speaker.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, you can't. For two reasons: FIRST you need to extract the movie from the BIN/CUE. SECOND, you can subtitle only MPEG-1 files, not MPEG-2 (unless you can use ffdshow and the directshow media plugin and have the M2V plugin fot TMPGenc, but on my PC it fails and I never used it).

I'll say you a method which I know and is easier and 100% working:

(1) Extract the movie from the BIN/CUE.
    You'd better 'mount' the image, then convert with VCDGear (use MPEG->MPEG) the 'ripped riff file' into a 'true MPEG'. The AVSEQ01.MPG is located in D:\MPEG2. If the disc had been a VCD, the 'riff file' would have been named AVSEQ01.DAT and would have been located in D:\MPEGAV and you should have used DAT->MPG.

(2) convert MPEG-2 into MPEG-1
    Using TMPGenc and the M2V plugin (read the 'sticky' thread and use [bold]Motion Search Precision: Very High Quality (very slow)[/bold] or you'll lose a lot of movie quality) you have to convert the SVCD MPEG-2 movie into a VCD MPEG-1 movie.

(3) add the subtitle
    I know to use Virtualdub and it can load only .AVI movies or MPEG-1 movies. I am preparing a full guide (about 2 MB large) for afterdawn. If you PM me your e-mail I can send it to you. It is not definitive, but is very advanced and, I think, well done.

Just be careful, remember that posting an email in the forum is forbidden due to spammers.

3. fabianobr

fabianobr Guest

Thanks for your help, aldaco12. I will PM you my email to you send me your guide when it be finished.