1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to burn the UT2004 DVD for the PC into 6 CDs

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ThC_Ltd, Apr 22, 2004.

1. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

I was wondering if it is possible to burn the UT2004 DVD into 6 CDs. Its splits into directories called CD1, CD2, CD3, etc. but the autorun.inf and setup files are in the root dir. I guess I could move the files into CD1 and rewrite the .inf file if I have to. What Im really asking is will it go from CD to CD and ask for the respective CD or will it look for the DVD and not proceed with the install?

2. KLBongo

KLBongo Member

Nope, just tried it and it doesn't work. As soon as the installer cannot find any files after the end of the cd1 directory, it assumes you have a bad disc and cancels the install. I think that if you tried the setup.exe file from the 6 cd version on the backups, it would know to expect the other files to be on other discs, etc. Anybody know if this approach works? I would also like to back my DVD up but don't have a DVD burner.

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Try DVD Decrypter and rip the dvd in ifo mode. Now install DVD2SVCD and convert the dvd to SVCD create bin& cue files and burn to cd-r's. Hopefully your home dvd player supports SVCD playback?
    Try backing up UT2004 dvd using DVD Decrypter (file mode)+ CloneDVD 2 or Pinnacle Instant DVD 7.0 or 8.0 (full movie). Enable "ignore read errors"(DVD Decrypter) in the I/O tab folder located in tools>settings.

DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/download.asp

DVD2SVCD: http://www.dvd2dvd.org/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Please see our guides before posting
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
  4. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Wow, I forgot I even left this thread since I figured out how to do it right after I left this. I will put the instructions here for KLBongo or anyone else looking to do backup UT2004 DVD to 6 cds.

PART 1: First you are going to need a program like "WinISO" or "UltraISO" which is a program capable of of looking at an image of a cd and modifying it and a virtual drive program such as "Daemon Tools" or "Nero Image Drive" which is capable of using ISO or BIN/CUE images as if they were burned to a cd.

WinISO - http://www.winiso.com
    UltraISO - http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/
    Daemon Tools - http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
    Then your going to need to open the UT2004 dvd image with the virtual drive program you used (I will refer to this as "Daemon tools" from now on)(Im writing these instructions assuming someone who is backing up a game has enough knowledge of computers to know how to open files with a program, extract files from a disc, etc. If you dont, you can always go to the help menu in the program and that will show you how. When I am at my computer with both the original DVD version of UT2004 and the 2 programs I will edit this reply with the exact instructions so if you are really having a hard time, just wait for the edit.) When the installer comes up just close it. Now that the image is in the virtual drive its just like having a cd or dvd in a real drive. Now open "My Computer" and right-click on whatever drive letter was assigned to the virtual drive and click "explore", that should open up the explorer window with all the contents of the UT2004 dvd in it. Now you need to find a spot on your drive you want to work in and create a folder called "UT2004 DVD". What you need to do next is from the window where you have the contents of the UT2004 dvd you need to copy all the files on the dvd to the folder you made previously. So when it done the folder you made should look exactly like the image of the dvd. Dont forget the three files in the root dir. (Autorun.inf, linux-installer.sh, setup.exe)

PART 2: First, even though we dont need them for this, cut the 2 files - setup.exe,linux-installer.sh - from the root dir. and paste them into the CD1 folder just in case we need them at a later date. You can erase the autorun.inf file from the root dir. (if you ever needed it again, there very easy to write) NOT the one in the CD1 folder, we need that. Now, open the autorun.inf file with notepad or anything similar and make sure it looks like this:

[autorun]
    open=system\setup.exe
    icon=help\unreal.ico

change it if it doesnt. Then save the file under the same name.

PART 3: This is where we need either the "WinISO" or "UltraISO" program (I will refer to this as UltraISO from now on since this is the one I recommend). Open UltraISO and make sure that you have the "UT2004 DVD" folder open also. Now from the UT2004 DVD folder open up the CD1 folder. Highlight all the files in the folder and drag and drop them into the big window of the UltraISO program. The UltraISO window should look exactly like the CD1 folder. This is not manditory but I like to change the name of the CD to whatever cd Im burning at the moment (ex: UT2004CD1, UT2004CD2, etc) in copying some games it is manditory to name it the exact same name as the original, but thats for another time. To do that you need to go to the window on the right in UltraISO and where all the numbers are on top, just change that to the name of the cd. Now what you need to do is go the "File" and click "Save As" and save as "UT2004_CD1" and under that change that to "BIN/CUE". Make sure you know where you saved it. Now just do that with all the folder of the cds (ex: CD2, CD3, CD4, etc.)

PART 4: Now just use your favorite cd burning software (theres a million of them) and just burn the images to cds. There should be 6 (DUH). You can just burn the images as regular cds, no copy protection or raw mode or anything like that needed here.

Now you have a 6 cd backup of the UT2004 DVD. To install just insert CD1 and it should start automatically and when it comes time for a new cd to be put in it will just ask for it. Seriously, I know this is a long explaination, but I did this whole thing in about 3 minutes. The long part is waiting for the images to be made from the files. Have fun and if there are any problems just post them here and I will help you out.

DISCLAIMER: I use a fixed .exe file since I dont want to play from the cds. I dont know how backing this up will affect the inserting CD6 for playing, but Im pretty sure it wont have an affect at all. UPDATE: if you are using patch "3206" i beleive its called, it removes the need for the cd to be put in the drive so the point is moot anyway.

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Is UT2004 DVD a game, a movie+ game? I'm pretty sure it is SecuROM 5.x protected.

6. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Its a game, but for me to get into getting around the copy protection here, not to insult anyone who comes to these boards, but I would lose like 90% of the people here. I could get into copying the right cd out of the 6 with copy protection on it with Alcohol 120% but pretty much anyone that would be able to do it already knows how and then also thats not 100% workable either. Sometimes you need to run Alcohol 120% with the Copy Protection Emulation on. Honestly, everyone I know who can get around the copy protection, including myself, dont even bother since its much more of a hassle then just getting the fixed .exe and replacing the original .exe. Now Im not saying I dont aquire some games through shady means, but even when I buy them I still use the fixed .exe 90% of the time since I dont want to put the cd in everytime.

My advise to anyone backing up the UT2004 DVD to 6 cds would be to find the fixed .exe somewhere (I would put up a link but Im not sure of the rules of this message board) and put it in the CD6 folder before you make the CD6 folder into an image, then you always have it with the back-up copy. I even recommend this for people who have attained the games legally.

If its really that big of a deal to people, I will post instructions on how to rip the UT2004 DVD with the copy-protection on it through Alcohol 120% and then also instructions on how to burn it with the copy-protection on it. The only thing that matters with this game is having a valid serial number to play online. Even if you have a serial number that lets you install the game, you wont be able to play online without a real serial number. There are ways around this, but also not really a 100% fix. If you get around it you will only be able to play with people who did the same thing you did or someone who makes a server that doesn't have a cd-key check.

UPDATE: While writing all this I just realized that as of a couple days ago it doesn't even matter copy-protected or not. Since the copy-protection only comes into account when you go to play the game, not install it, all you would have to do is install the game like usual then use the version 3206 update which one of the changes includes not having to use the cd to play the game. If you really understand about computers you could just save the update as a file and include it in CD6 before making an image of it

If anyone needs more info on anything I posted here just reply with the problem.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

This is starting to stray into the grey area of piracy discussion :)

UT2004 is SecuROM 5.02.02.0033 protected ... although alcohol will do the trick, BlindWrite is a tad more effective (and traditionally, more suited for) doing the backup. :)

8. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Since this is straying into the gray area I'll leave it where it is. Anyone who knows enough has all the info they need to do whatever they like with UT2004 and anyone who doesn't know enough, well just go buy it, someone has to or there would be no software developers.

But the bottom line is, in a totally 100% legal way, you can back-up your UT2004 DVD to 6 cds without even knowing the littlest thing about copy-protection or anything like that since, as I stated before, after you back it up your going to install the version 3206 update (an official update, by the way, put out by Epic Games the makers of UT2004)anyway and the update takes away the need to play with the cd and as stated before copy-protection only comes into the picture, in this game at least, when playing the game (checks the CD to make sure copy-protection is there)not when installing. So feel free to back-up your UT2004 DVD you bought leagally to 6 cds as long as you install the latest patches, you will have no problems.

DISCLAIMER: That last paragraph was totally legal since I didn't actually tell anyone about getting around or breaking or duplicating copy-protections in anyway. I just explained how copy-protection worked, which is totally legal, and told people to always be sure to install the latest official patches for your games like the manufacturers of the game tell you to do, and again, totally legal, and also merely stated that as a revision in the latest patch there is no need to play with a cd anymore. Ahh what the hell, I might as well put a real disclaimer in here too. If you live in the United States, and a lot of other countries (check your local laws), its totally ILLEGAL to back-up your games EVEN IF YOU OWN THEM AND BOUGHT THEM LEGALLY!!! Thats right, illegal to copy something you already own for your own use. There is a huge conference going on now to fight just this and if you really care and want to be considered a criminal for this kind of stuff, write your congressman, look on the net for more info, get involved! Dont turn a blind eye to something that might consider you a criminal and you dont even know it, speak out. Anyway, thats a story for another time.

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Suppose I don't play online but wan't to make a backup for my 2nd pc? Pc game protection does matter m8.

10. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Shoey, I think think your understanding. Im goint to try to break it down step by step. If this was another game or if you play UT2004 without the official 3204 update installed, then yes, the copy protection will matter if you want to make a copy for your second pc. But if you install the official 3204 update, Epic Games added a revision in the patch that takes away the cd check and since the UT2004.exe file is the only file that is copy-protected by checking for the right cd, they just removed their only form of copy-protection. You will never find a fixed .exe file for the 3204 update because you dont need one. They know almost everyone wants to play online and no one really wants to play single player, and since theres no way around playing on real servers without a valid purchased cd-key, it doesnt really matter if they take away the cd check.

Just to put this to rest, I went re-installed UT2004 from my 6 cds I backed up, not the dvd, without any kind of copy-protection on them, just the way I said to do it here. Now after I installed it I purposely tried to start the game without either a fixed .exe file or installing the patch. It could not be done since it kept asking me to put the cd in the drive. Then, I installed the official 3204 Patch and tried it again, once again without adding any other files or fixed .exe files and it started up right away since there is no more cd check.

I guess the easiest way to put this is, if you copy your dvd into cds or even a dvd backup like a regular backup, the copy protection wont copy over, hence what you said before about
    , but once the update is installed it doesnt matter. Epic Games didnt take away the copy-protection with the update, they just took away what make the copy-protection works, if that makes sense. How about this, if you were to steal a piece of clothing from the store and it had a security tag on it, you know the ones that beep when they get taken out of the store, the tag would beep and you wouldn't be able to leave the store. Now if the company that produces the tags puts out a revision on the tags leaves the tags on the clothes but just takes the beepng away, the actual security tag would still be there but the thing that makes it work would be gone. Does that make it easier to understand? Thats really the best I could explain it, you really should understand after that.

[bold]UPDATE:[/bold] After I reinstalled everything, I realized I have been calling the update the "3206" update. The update is actually called [bold]"3204"[/bold] not 3206. The exact name of file is "ut2004_winpatch3204"

11. v0rtex

v0rtex Guest

Good Job Thc_ltd.

now just one thing. if is not ask to mutch send me your fixed.exe to <no emails allowed> or if possivel put it down!

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2004
  12. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Thanks Vortex, but I see the "newbie" under your name is well founded. No one in their right mind would send someone from a message board a fixed .exe file. You do understand that fixing a file, or using said file, is a serious violation of copy-protection laws. And I know AfterDawn is somewhat leanient with things, and if I have something to ask of a questionable nature I'll post it with AfterDawn, but I didnt think things got so leanient that open postings of fixed files and ways to break copy-pros are acceptable. If this is true, by all means someone tell me and I'll post whatever. Also, with everything thats happening now with all this stuff you would ask this. You should go ask the people from Fairlight how serious things are right now. Besides, fixes are everywhere, and not to be rude but if you cant find them or figure out how to use them yourself, I refer you to the second line of my post right below Praetor's post. Im a firm believer in that. Its not for everyone.

Now after all that, I will post for the last time the same thing I have said many times before. YOU DONT NEED THE FIXED .EXE FILE TO PLAY THE GAME!!! Just install the game, real or copy, then immediately install the 3204 update before all else. DO NOT FIX ANY FILEs FIRST!! I cant emphasize that enough. Im realizing right now maybe thats why its not working for some people. If you have the fixed .exe file in there already, ERASE IT and replace it with the original (See, this is why I always recommend not erasing any files, just add .bak to the file extension of the file you need to replace and if you ever need the file again you can just take off the .bak and there you go). The reason is if you have the fix in already when you install the update, the update reads the fixed UT2004.exe file and realizing its different, will not update it and since thats the file that needs to be updated to play without the cd, it needs to be the original UT2004.exe. If you still have the original UT2004.exe not to fret, just use replace the fixed one with the original and reinstall the update and viola'. If you erased it, Im pretty sure you can grab just the UT2004.exe file from the DVD itself in the CD1/system dir. So after thats all taken care of, just start the game like usual with no use for the cd anymore.

Now, thats the last time Im going to post how to do that, but if someone wants me to LEGALLY explain how to play online after they have lost their cd-key or bought the game and the cd-key was invalid, I would do that. So until them, happy gaming/hacking/cracking/phreaking or whatever your pleasure is.

***If anyone feels the need for some reason to get the fixed file anyway or wants to play on the 3186 update or needs a fix for any game for that reason, I wouldnt post any kind of link to find them or anything or tell anyone where to get them, but I will say this. If you have a GAME you need to COPY what in the WORLD would ever make you think I would tell you how. Now, if you dont know whats up, not only would I refer you to the second line in my previous post, but that should be your montra.

13. KLBongo

KLBongo Member

Many, many thanks, ThC_Ltd. I was searching for an answer to this for days. You, my friend, rock. Seriously though, taking the time out to type all that info. (I understood it all just fine, been working with iso's for a while now) but going into detail like that for anybody that wasn't as computer-literate just blows my mind, especially after you had already solved the problem yourself. Thanks again, I will definitely be checking this forum out regularly now.

14. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Your welcome KLBongo, but I have to give the credit to my job. Im a computer tech and I do a lot of phone work and walking people through things so I know that you need to be specific down to the last detail so theres absolutely no confusion. The funny thing is, I did this at my shore house not my regular house so I didnt have anything in front of me. When I normally explain things and have them in front of me, Im much more specific, if you could believe that. I actually was afraid someone would be confused at some parts since I wasnt as specific as usual. When I do what I normally do, you could take someone who never used a computer before and they probably wouldnt have a problem doing it. Trust me, with my job, if you dont make things idiot-proof, people will screw it up. I dont know what it is about working with computer but it makes people lose all common sense for some reason. You wouldnt believe how many times I tell someone at my job "just hit any key to continue" and they say to me "I dont see the "any" key anywhere on my keyboard!" Believe it!

Honestly, Im just happy someone finally understood what I was saying without having to write it again for literally like the sixth time. Also, yea, these AfterDawn forums are great. Like I said before, I always try to find what Im looking for in an AfterDawn forums first before going elsewhere, and there also pretty leanient about talking about somethings like this as long as you dont get crazy like Vortex asking to post a fixed .exe file write up on the message board. People check message boards for that kinda stuff. ATi shut down that major overclocking website (forget the name at the moment, but it was a big one) for posting info on their new X800 video card before it was released, so if you think people that matter dont check these boards you would be wrong.

Well, Im happy I could help someone. After all, at some point I had to learn all this stuff and had lots of questions and people went into detail for me so just passing on the knowledge I think people should have. If you have anymore questions, just post them up here.

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I bought UT2004 on DVD last night and successfully backed up to DVD-R using Blindwrite 5 5.02+ Blindwrite Tweaker and Daemon Tools. :)I use Daemon Tools quite often and don't have a problem relying on SecuROM emulation.

16. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Right you could do all that if you wanted, but dealing with any copy-pro is unneeded at this point, unless someone plans on playing without the latest updates installed which I dont understand why they would. Also, we knew you could back-up the dvd to another dvd, but to back-up the dvd to 6 cds requires a little changing in the autorun.inf file and putting those 3 files somewhere else. When I backed up the dvd to 6 cds, I didnt use any kind of copy-pro things at all. I just ripped the files I needed from the dvd and made an image out of them, not using any copy-pro emulation, then just burned the images like a normal cd, again no copy-pro emulation there either. Then I purposely uninstalled my game and reinstalled using the 6 cds I made then installes the update and Ive been running tht game like that since I reinstalled and I play everyday, without a cd, and online also. Shoey, I saw in another post you recommend Blindwrite for Securom 4.x or 5.x and Alcohol 120% for Safedisc. How come you dont recommend Alcohol 120 for both? I use Alcohol 120 to burn SecuRom 4.x and 5.x all the time and it does a great job for me. As a matter of fact, when I got Hitman: Contracts, you obviously know why there was no fix for a long time, I backed it up using Alcohol 120 and its SecuROM 4.x/5.X and when I was done I played the cds as normal without any kind of emulation on or anything. I live by Alcohol 120, I tried them all and I think if you needed I burning/ripping/virtual cd program for all your needs, this one is it.

I also wanted to say for future reference, that what I did here would work with around 80% of all the games out. The only ones it wont work on are ones that use the kind of copy-pro that checks to make sure you have the proper disc in while installing. What I mean by proper disc is not like cd1 or cd2, I mean it checks to see if its the acutal disc proper. Ive done this with other games too that werent split up like UT2004 into cd folders. What you do is during the install check to see what files are installed towards the end and take those and put them on another disc. Then, when it goes to find the first file you moved to the other cd it will say "Insert disc with file *.* on it" or "Insert CD 1 to continue" or something similar then you put in the other cd. Now it might say "Insert CD 1" even though the the files its looking for is on the second cd you made, the program doesnt know its been split into 2 cds. You just have to know when it says "Insert CD *" that you know it means the other cds you made. You dont really have to use the files that come at the end of the installation, but if you take just random files without knowing where they come in the installation, your going to be switching cds back and forth a bunch of times. Of course, these arent detailed instructions, Im just saying you can do it. Also, Im not going to guarantee that it will work for you or your game, Im just saying it works sometimes and Ive done it a few times before.

17. v0rtex

v0rtex Guest

Ya i´m a newbie, but just on this forum.
    your help was very nice and the problem of a "fixed.exe" i already solve. Thanks again to solution UT2004 DVD to 6cds

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

It took me less time to backup to dvd-r than "your method" backing up to cd-r. Keep in mind that both of are backups are "modified".So one doesn't need a "copy pro" program to backup UT2004 to dvd-r??? If one doesn't own a dvd burner I don't mind "your method" for backing up as long as one doesn't use a "fixed exe."

Since you seem to know it all, I challenge you to backup Safedisc 2.8-3.1 not using any "copy pro program" nor using any virtual stealth drive program. I also challenge you to backup SecuROM 4.87 not using any "copy pro program" and please report back on thist hread if your backups work as I already know this can't be achieved without using some kind of "copy pro program." Using a "fixed exe"(crack loader) won't cut it m8.

"Advanced users" are more than welcome to use Alcohol 120% for SecuROM 4.x& Safedisc 2/3.x backups. If one owns a "2 sheep burner", then DiscDump& FireBurner will easily backup Safedisc 2/3.x(without installing "autoplay" like Alcohol 120%) with the exception of Safedisc 3.15(Prince Of Persia), where very few "2 sheep burners" have had success.
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Please see our guides before posting
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2004
  19. ThC_Ltd

ThC_Ltd Member

Right, you dont need any kind of copy pro emulation or fixed exe file even if you back it up to dvd. Its still the same, once installed and the update is loaded theres no difference and the whole purpose for putting this up was for people who dont have dvd burners. Of course its easier your way, but try that without a dvd burner! Also, I never claimed to know it all, you said that. I claimed I knew how to back-up the UT2004 DVD to 6 cds and when I put up how to do it you kept writing things like "No the copy pro does matter" even though Ive already done it and other people were writing here too because they did it.

And hey, I dont write the fixed exe's or programs or anything like that. Im the first person to admit to using the programs someone else made to do what I have to do to back-up or whatever Im doing. You know Im no expert on copy pros or anything, I learn just enough about things to do whatever it is Im doing at the time and thats it. And also, if you know it cant be done why would you even ask me to do it?! Honestly, that was one of the stupidest things Ive ever heard. Basically you said "I challenge you to do something I know is impossible". Is it that much of a blow to your ego that you have to see me fail at something you know is impossible? Oh yea, well since your the moderator of the cd-r forum I challenge you to back-up a cd-r with a magnifing glass and the sun and post your reply here since I already know this cant be achieved.

Your missing the whole point of the message board. We're sharing ideas and solutions here. Look, I came here and saw there was a problem that I knew the solution to and I obviously knew that backing it up to SVCD was surely not going to help, I gave them the answer, but for some reason you just couldn't accept it and trying to dispute it with me constantly even though Ive already done it and other people wrote here they did it too. I know your the moderator here, but you need to dial down your ego a bit. Face it, your not going to know everything and neither am I so you should let other people help you out with things you dont know. Look at what that guy said, because he found my post so helpful and detailed he is going to keep coming back to this message board a lot. You should be happy about that since your the moderator, but instead you have to be like "Oh yea, well heres something I bet you cant do". Im sure there a plenty of things you know about backing up and encoding and burning movies that I dont know anything about.

Thats OK though, I know thats how message boards are, but honestly, its usually the moderators that has to step in and say what I said about sharing ieas and solutions, not the one going around challenging peoples knowledge all the time.