1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to convert .flv files to .avi format??

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Hemingway, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

i was wondering if it was possible to convert .flv files to a .avi or .mpeg or .wmv format. if you dont know, .flv files are flash movie files. its usually a regular .wmv movie that is captured into a flash based steaming .flv format.

now, i can isolate these .flv files by watching them on the website, then typing about:cache into my address bar, and then finding the .flv file.

there is a program that plays these .flv files called flvplayer, available at http://www.martijndevisser.com/2005/10/flv_player_updated.html

now, id really like to convert these .flv files to either .avi or .mpeg or something else i can play in a media player. any suggestions?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

As long as they use sorenson spark and not VP6 you can convert with ffmpeg or mencoder. You can even directstream the video, doesn't seem to work for the audio though. Should be possible to update the libavformat flv parser to work with newer flv files, would only work with mencoder though which can use an external dll for VP6 decoding.

flv has nothing to do with wmv by the way.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

yes i successfully conveted the .flv files to .avi files under the xvid-mpeg 4 codec. all i needed was a program called total video converter which is available at http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/

you can get it there or be resourceful... its easily one of the best video conveter tools ive seen

4. nukacola

nukacola Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006