1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to copy computer games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by swenyb, Sep 1, 2004.

1. junior337

junior337 Member

Hi there, I had the same thing happen to me. My 7 year old son got hold of my daughters Sim 2 game and scratched it all up. I went and spent another $50 at blockbuster for a brand new Sim 2 special edition. I noticed that you had said you figured it out. I've tried to back it up with both blindwrite and alcohol 120% but for some reason it says its backed up, but when I try an use it it doesnt work. I'd appreciate your help greatly. Thanks.

2. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Thats funny you should say that i thought id backed it up, when i went to install it it gets to about 15% on the first disc and gives this error tsdata/res/sound/voice.5.package5
    ok... i think maybe it was just a problem with the burning on the first disc so i repeat it with the original first disc and it works fine when it asks for the second i out in my burnt second expecting it to work but no about 15% into it theres another error.
    its driving me mad, if anyone knows a different way of doing it please tell me oh by the way i used acohol 120%
    thanks in advance

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@junior337

What make/model burner are you using?

4. Nephilim

@swenyb

What speed are you reading and writing at?

5. junior337

junior337 Member

Hello there, I'm using a NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A

6. junior337

junior337 Member

and im burning at the maximum rate alcohol 120% allows.

7. Nephilim

@junior337

Two problems then.

1) Your burner doesn't write EFM correctly which is a required quality to make a working backup though it's possible you might be able to get your backups to play using emulation.

2) Slower is better when backing up PC games since the read/write needs to be as accurate as possible. Try setting the read/write to 4X.

8. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

hey Nephilim
    have just switched to clone cd slowed the read and write to the slowest it would go and got me a backup, put it in and of it went installing away using up a rather large 3gb took quite a while to install seemed to go fine, once it had finished i clicked launch game, BANG error report, i HATE error reports closes the game down and wont let me play it, any clues as to why
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."[/small]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  9. Nephilim

@sweynb

Is this with Sims2 DVD version?

What speed did you read and write at?

10. junior337

junior337 Member

I tried reading and writing at every speed. What happens is;
    1) Either program copies the disk.
    2) After copying I place the copied disk in the drive.
    3) The disk boots up and goes through the installation process. The game is installed.
    4) When I go to load the game I get an error message that reads (Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select OK and restart the application).

The disk is still in the drive, I take it out and put it back in and it does the same thing. If I go to my drive and open the disk from there it does the same thing. But if I put in the original disk it boots right up with ni problem. Please help.

11. junior337

junior337 Member

NEPHILIM
    P.S. I missed reading a couple of your threads before I typed in my question.
    I have succesfully copied many other PC games with my burner. I'm not familiar with the EFM you were speaking about. If I can copy other PC games could that still be an issue, and yes it is the Sims 2 DVD edition. Thanks for taking the time to help.

12. Nephilim

@junior337

It appears your NEC isn't able to backing up that game. You've two options at this point:

1) Get a capable burner such as a Lite-On 52327S or Asus 5232AS both of which sell for under $30. If you want the best drive available for backing up games the Plextor Premium is the way to go and sell for around $70.

2) You can probably run the game image from your hard drive using Alcohol's virtual drive.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  13. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

not sure how you can tell whether its the dvd version its got 4 discs?

14. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

i found out something new today, after installing the sims 2 using the copies, when i went to put the disc one copy in it loaded and came up with aa error report, so i started thinking maybe something went wrong with the installing of the game so to test it i put in the original disc one of the game it worked fine, this must mean that my backups are istalling but not playing, only giving out error reports is this perhaps a new something or rather in the game to stop illegal copies, or maybe something im doing wrong, im gonna give alcohol another try is there a certain way you recomend i go about using acohol as its a bit more complicated than clonecd, or maybe a differnt software i can use???
    any help would be much appreciated

15. Nephilim

Most any copy will install, the true test is using it to play the game. This is how the copy protections work - they protect the play disc and not the install :)

16. junior337

junior337 Member

Nephilim,
    Which Plextor Premium to you think I should get? There are a bunch of different models. Do you really think that changing burners will do the trick? I have a brand new CPU that cost me a little over $1,200. Let me know what you think, and thanks.

17. Nephilim

18. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

ok then, so is there a way i can get round it or is the game to protected
    thanks

19. Nephilim

Yes the game is protected and we've been discussing the ways around it throughout this entire thread.

20. junior337

junior337 Member

Thanks a bunch. I'm going to order the burner you specified. Thanks.