1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to cut Mpgs in half

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by bboatstor, Jun 2, 2003.

1. bboatstor

bboatstor Member

Hello, i hope i have the right area for this since this is my first time here. anyways on to my question. I have gone through almost 10 different softwares trying to convert my avis to mpgs. and in all of them they mps are 2 times bigger. Now since i dont have a dvd burner i want to know if it would be at all possible to cut the movie in half. i have downloaded 2 files of the the same movie that are cd1 and 2 so i do believe it can be done just not sure how. if you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. once again i hope i got the right area sorry if i didnt!

2. vince1972

vince1972 Member

Im new at this too, but i have cut movies before. There are several utilities you can use, but i found 'Easy Movie Splitter' is an absolute breeze..
    Once you get it:
    1. open source file and load your movie.
    2. use the 'mark start point' button to mark the start of the movie
    3. move the movie on to where you want to cut....then use the 'mark end point' button.
    4. Once more click on the 'mark start button'
    5. Move the movie cursor to the end
    6. click 'mark end point' again.

select which folder you want the two files to go in using the save directory

7. lastly click the split button

Hope this helps you...
    Vinny

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  3. sonoma095

sonoma095 Member

well bboat if your source movie files are mpegs. U could use Tmpgenc to cut the movie. However usually when u encode an avi to mpeg1 format u should be able to stop the process at 700mb. Ur avi turns into 2 mpegs, but you don't have to cut the video. What r u encodeing with?

4. vitordf

vitordf Member

What can I use to convert AVI to MPEG, and where can I get Easy Movie Splitter.

Thanks

5. vince1972

vince1972 Member

you can get it from a search on the net, or from winx or kazaa. To change from avi to mpeg, i use TMPGEnc. Again, you can get this from the net with a search. One you get it look through the forum for instructions, it isnt hard.

6. sonoma095

sonoma095 Member

u can also use avi2vcd, to encode avi files to vcd compatible mpeg1 files. its much simplier than tmpgenc, but the quality isn't as good. Tmpgenc is by far the best. For software try cnet.com u can get almost anything there also divx-digest.com and this site r excellent sources of software.

7. bboatstor

bboatstor Member

Thankyou, Very much for your quick replys im testing these different softwares as we speak. Once again thanks for your help.

8. sonoma095

sonoma095 Member

no prob. let us know how u get along.