1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to hook 2 computers on one modem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ajbro111, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ajbro111

ajbro111 Member

hey i have 2 computers and one of them is on that is hooked up with a modem and i have these adapters that go into the phone line outlet and i was haviong trouble trying to get my (new) computer on the internet with my one modem

2. fahadhgsk

fahadhgsk Guest

The answer to your question is NO
    Why?
    Because a adaptor, converts the modem (analogue) signal to a digital signal, if you are trying to plug 2 pc's into one adaptor, (which is what im thinking you are trying to do, your post was not very clear)
    then think logically. A analog signal from the phone line is coming, an adaptor converts it into digital, then a analog accessory, (splitter, which is what converts the signal into 2 ways), is splitting a digital signal accross 2 wires on each side of the splitter, that is impossible for an internet connection, because an internet connection shud have 4 wires, and you are splitting those wires analogically i.e.you have corrupted the digital signal from the converter with a analogue splitter, into each of the computers, which only accept digital signals, so either connect only one computer, or cut the wire somewhere and wire it up so it goes straight to the other computer and your old one, piss easy IF, you cut it, get long cables, connect all the wires by colour coding, so now you have split the digital wire yourslef, and get an adaptor for the end of the second cable.

3. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Um what was the point in that post?,you could of just said no and you need a router to connect both pcs online

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ajbro111, dialup modem or adsl modem?