1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to overclock a 4600+ AM2 to 3GHz?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Grayz, May 31, 2007.

1. Grayz

Grayz Member

I'm having some issues here... I want to know if it is possible to overclock my X2 4600+ to 3GHz (My ultimate goal xD). I've been trying out for a while but with no success, since @ 2.8GHz windows crashes @ boot and at 2.9GHz and over the computer won't even start.

My current PC specs are on my siggy and on the CPU-Z Validator Database, adding that my cooler is a Zalman CNPS9500 AM2. Currently my CPU is @ 34ºC idle 1.8KRPM, on load it hits 48~52ºC @ 2.2KRPM

Thanks for the attention

Cheers

2. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Im surew its possible but there are so many variables that may affect it. A good overclock relies on many things. You need good airflow/cooling. You also need to have a good chip. Some chips overclock brilliantly when other ones fail its all luck of the draw.

Therefore in answer to you question:
    Maybe yes maybe no :)

Hope that helps!

3. Grayz

Grayz Member

Thanks for the answer! I forgot to tell what motherboard I am using. It's an M2N32-SLi with nForce 590.

RAM is not the issue here, as it can amazingly hit very high speeds.

Cheers!

4. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

You'll want to make sure you have an extremely good cooling system, I have 5 fans in my PC because I cannot afford any other methods. But having so many fans whilst overclocking can put your PSU on the fritz, so you may need to buy another one if you seek to keep your CPU cool.

Not taking precautions like this may cause serious damage to your PC, and will cause random 'restarting' or even the inability to turn your PC back on.

5. Grayz

Grayz Member

I'm quite aware of that, thanks for the reminding though.

I'm just curious xD. So if anyone knows some kind of "formula" to make it run @ 3GHz (Voltage, BUS speed, multiplier), I would gladly apreciate the help.

Its running @ 303x9, with HT multiplier by 5 running @ 3.03GHz, and RAM clock rates @ 455MHz DDR (910MHz effective).

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well there is no voltage, BUS speed, multiplier setup that will work universally. And how are you stress testing your machine? You should stress test the machine after each raise in the clock. If not currently doing any type of stress testing you could seriously damage your PC, more specifically your CPU. If not using any software currently I recommend Prime95....

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Once installed and running select "Test", Go to "Options" then select "Torture Test..." from there select the Blend option and then hit Go. I would let this run for at least 2hrs. the longer the better. If it reports any errors then you have to zealously overclocked your CPU and must downclock it a bit.

7. Grayz

Grayz Member

Usually my stress tests are running up a game and play it for few hours.
    I was surprisingly amazed at how well it did at these clock rates, although it did heat up a bit, after a couple of hours playing NFS Carbon, I realised it hit 54ºC, but the fan didn't go over 2.2kRPM.
    I also tried to speed up the computer little at a time, but the maximum I can hit is 2.73GHz @ 1.5v, anything over that up to 2.8GHz gets a bit unstable, and 2.8GHz, windows crashes when booting.

One thing I have to keep in mind, summer is near (Those temps were measured few days ago), I take that summer time is not the best time to overclock and its quite It's a big diffrence from winter (at 2.64GHz it would't go over 18ºC idle and around 28~30 on load).

Thanks for the support. Cheers!

8. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Lmao, Wow made me look like an Idiot.
    Good luck

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well I would still recommend using the program I recommended. Because it will show you if your computer screwed up, therefore to high a overclock. But in a game while a good stress testing method it really isn't going to show you if the CPU should spit back a wrong answer. The other program puts the CPU to use by doing intense math calculations, and once it gets its first error it means the cpu couldn't correctly finish the "app"(the math prob.) and it reports a error.

But if you are good with using the game then all power to you, but if the CPU starts to stutter/it wont run reliably then I would say its time to turn the clock down.

10. Grayz

Grayz Member

Hmm? Why? Sorry if I said something wrong NicHt, didn't mean to.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Although as NicHt said, @3GHz (If I ever make it there by "screwing" with the voltage,BUS and multiplier) I will need some more than a single CPU fan and a single exaust fan to cool it down at such speeds.

Thanks

11. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ive always found its the little things that help?

Have you got a good thermal compound?

12. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

13. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

14. Grayz

Grayz Member

Yeah, Arctic Silver Céramique (less 10~12ºC on load @stock speeds versus Zalman's default compound)

Edit: My main problem is not the temp. I mean... it will probably be IF I ever get to 3GHz, which is my main problem xD.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  15. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Maybe if you really wanna bring out the big bucks! Try phase cooling?

16. Grayz

Grayz Member

Phase cooling? That sounds expensive. Ahtough I have to admit I never heard of that before (shame on me) :O

I noticed on your signature that you managed to boost up your San Diego by 700MHz, from what I know its native rates are @ 2.2GHz, am I wrong? Nice job on that OC (You have the right to be proud) xD

17. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Hah, ye really. Was cant 100% remember my settings. If im hounest i couldnt game for long on thoose settings. Got it stable at 2.8 somehting :)

Shame my motherboard blew up and caught on fire yesterday eh?

New mobo in the post will post how well this mobo performs :)

18. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

No, you didn't say anything wrong. I just left out a smiley somewhere along the line :D
    -Let us know how it goes

19. Grayz

Grayz Member

I'll "throw" myself into this matter on the weekend... I have to be able to do it... X2 6000+ has the same core as the 4600, only multiplied by 15 instead of 12 xD

Cheers XD

20. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Whats intresting is im sure there are some 6000+'s that couldnt handle the heat at stock with the standard heatsink so where underclocked to be 4600+ :) If youve got one of them count yourself lucky!!