1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to overclock a 4600+ AM2 to 3GHz?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Grayz, May 31, 2007.

1. Grayz

Grayz Member

Whoa, no wonder. AMDs default heatsink has bad performance. Why do you think I changed it to a decent copper heatsink? xD
    If even mine used to heat up alot, I can imagine 6000+'s... Although I heard that even faster than the FX-62 they don't heat as much, but I guess thats no excuse to still be using alu. heatsinks lolz º.º

2. Gspoon

Gspoon Guest

hey Grayz

do you know what Stepping your processor is
    that has a lot to do with what the highest Oc you can achive

this is a great site for comparing oc's
    http://www.amdgeeks.net/overclockdatabase
    even though not all of the ppl show their complete stepping
    it still might help you

Gspoon

3. Grayz

Grayz Member

Stepping F2... from what I saw on that site, max it got was 2.86. Socket 939 4600+ made it to 3GHz.

Well, I guess I can't hit it to 3GHz. (Damn lol)

Unholy... Opterons are massive overclocking processors, amazing. I guess I have to take the 3GHz away from my goals.

Thanks for your help xD

4. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Never give up! Im sure its possible :)

As for me if anyone is intrested. Motherboard came now turns out my PSU is on its last legs refusing to pump any bloody power! Not happy so im gunna have to save up for one of them! So as for Oc'ing we'll have to wait a bit till i can even worry about that!!

Lecsiy

5. Grayz

Grayz Member

Hope you're right lol. You look like you're heving some trouble yourself. Good luck XD

Cheers

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

drop your ht link multi to x4 as thats 50% oced and you dont really need that to be as high.

i would also check to make sure all the unused options (and those that aren't really needed) in your bios are off, things like cnq or spectrum spread, any ports you dont use that kind of thing.

must say tho thats good going as it is and anything more you get out of it is a bonus.

have you tried dropping your multi by 1 and seeing how much higher you can get you cpu freq?

side note.

i think amd have held back all the best cores to release them now as the 6000

7. Grayz

Grayz Member

I can't drop Multiplier lower than 5x, and the bus speed wont go anything over 425MHz. One thing, if I raise the bus too much, my RAMs will take the hit too. They are already almost 40% overclocked.

You think if I use something like 250x12 to reach the 3GHz and lower the HT multiplier to 4x and keep it at 2GHz might work?

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats what i was thinking yes, its just another way to do it. the only thing with this is by dropping you cpu multi it should allow for a higher base clock which would mean higher ram (unless your mobo can run it un-linked) so you may need to drop your ram and let the oc bring it back up to or above (its late and i cant be bothered doing the math of the top of my head) stock speeds.

9. Grayz

Grayz Member

From what I know, I can probably fix the RAM clock to 667 (native speed) and change the BUS clock any way I want, that should give me some space to mess around with it without overclocking the RAMs too much. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Cheers

10. Grayz

Grayz Member

Well, I failed to get it to run @ 3GHz with the setings marsey99 indicated. As usual it won't even show anything on the screen and the CPU Fan wont slow down...

Any more ideas? lol xD

Cheers

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

did you manage to get a higher base clock with the lowwer cpu multi?

did you try dropping the ram further to see if it was that, that failed to post?

on the bright side 2.7ghz is still a good oc and you should be proud of it, the most i ever got out of my amd was +25% http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=131489 but to be totaly stable it was best @2.41ghz

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey be happy, all I could get from my 4200+ was 2.40Ghz, a measly 9%.

13. Grayz

Grayz Member

Well... I did freeze the RAM's speed to 667MHz, but I didn't try lowering the multiplier and rasing the BUS even more... The best I can get is 425x7 since the BIOS won't let me raise the BUS any more and that'll only hit 2975MHz (lol), to hit the 3GHz I'll have to set to 375x8. With any of those options I'll have to lower the HT multiplier to 3x.

But yeah, I'm proud of my OC xD

Btw, massive OC you got there marsey :O, couldn't avoid looking into your signature xD

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe and I have the same CPU, same board and same memory. The difference? Marsey has the patience!

15. Grayz

Grayz Member

Yeah o_O, now that I look, you have almost the same rig as him. I'm jealous xD. But I can't complain, I'm happy with my computer :) and proud lol

One thing I am amazed... my RAMs, I didn't expect them to overclock so good lol. Maximum I got them was @ 960MHz xD

btw, anyone knows if the 7950GX2 can easily handle RAMs @ 1.4GHz with stock heatsink? At stock they're rated at 1.2GHz

16. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Your lucky guys talking about your working computers :-(

Changed case and it took out the:

Motherboard,
    Harddrive,
    PSU.

Wow..... Might aswell bought a bloody new computer eh

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Awww sorry to hear that. I can only give you the consolation that's it been far from plain sailing.
    As for the 7950GX2, run it through an overclocking bench and see how far you get. It's a top end card so don't expect a massive OC, but you should get something.

18. Grayz

Grayz Member

Sorry to hear that lecsiy... :(

Well.. About the 7950GX2, I looked somewhere that its memories are underclocked, these Samsung mems are native clocked @ 1.4GHz, but nVidia slowed them down. That's why I was wondering about it, as it would boost its bandwidth from 76.8GB/s to 89.6GB/s, being a bit of a punch in the performance. I don't care about OCing the GPU, since from my experiences, OC the memories have more impact on performance than the GPU itself. XD

I had an FX-5700LE (250-GPU/400-RAM) that overclocked to 400/400 didn't change a thing in the performance, but going for 250/480 (wouldn't go higher) it increased about 10~15 frames in some games :O

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That was my experience with my X1900XT. However, strangely when I did it I found my max core speed with the memory standard, then found my max memory speed with the core standard. I applied both OCs at once and it worked. Going from 625mhz to 668mhz wasn't a huge increase on the core, but from 720mhz to 873 on the memory proved a noticeable increase in performance, and the whole effort bagged me 1100 extra 3dmarks in 06.

20. Grayz

Grayz Member

Well... I tried! No luck though, I tried with 375x8 and 425x7 but both fail to boot the computer. Its probably the RAM, I don't think I can fix it at 667. Oh well... For now, I'll keep the 2.73 xD

Cheers