1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to play media files on Fedora Core 6?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by insyted, Feb 18, 2007.

1. insyted

insyted Member

I haven't used Linux before.
    Trying to see if Fedora is worth using.

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

you can literally do anything you want on linux, thats how much possibilities there are, im using fc4, and there are libraries and programs to do pretty much anything, you just need to learn how to install stuff, to cope with dependencies and to just navigate :) hope this kinda helps.

eg:/ fedora doesnt come with mp3 support out of the box so to speak, so you just install xmms which is an aweseom mp3 player software for linux and best of all, its pretty much all free :)

3. insyted

insyted Member

Hi thanks alot for the advice.
    I was also wondering if there was any other things it doesn't support that I should know of.

Also, the motherboard that I just bought came with a slip telling me I need to go to Intel to update my drivers. They do have options in the Intel website to choose which OS you want tog et drivers for. They have options for various Linux OS including redhat, and an option for plain - Linux. How would I go about getting and installing the latest drivers on Fedora?

I also use an Echo 3G sound card. How would I get this working?

Would you happen to know Fedora's advantages over Ubuntu if any?

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

wow ummmm.... lets see
    A good place to start is the unofficial Fedora FAQ, it covers most of the common things that you want, access it by clicking here select up the top which version of fedora you are looking at using.

With fedora you are usually looking for a rpm package with x86 and fc6 or similar appended to the file name, otherwise just get a red hat package or a source package and manually compile it. you see the hardest thing you will ever do on linux is install software so it takes time to learn but it eventually becomes easier. the easiest way (if you have broadband) is to use the inmbuilt yum (covered in the fedora faq) which will install a program and all its dependencies automatically as long as you know the pacakge name you are after.

unless this card was released like yesterday (even if it was) there should be no dramas, anyway, you can always find a driver that will let you use it in linux if all else fails, a simple search of linux echo 3g sound card should be helpful.

personally i do not know why there are preferences between linux systems there sure are differences but each have their own advantages and disadvantages, i personally prefer fedora because it is much more complete, those DVD's and couple of cds you get or download are filled (absolutely filled to the brim) with packages that expand the operating systems capabilities. one great thing about linux is that you can keep experimenting and there is minimal chance that you will do damage because you would need to be super user to delete files etc that are necesary for system stability, which is why linux RARELY - RRRAAARRREEEELLLYYYY crashes if at all lol

any more questions feel free to ask il try to help.

5. insyted

insyted Member

Thanks for the FAQ when I was looking for a decent Linux OS. I was actually looking for some of the info there including the fact that I couldn't figure out what the functional differences between Red Hat and Fedora are.
    It appears Fedora is more functional for single user desktop and small networks. Red Hat is more functional for large networks with mutiple servers.

I'm not sure which red hat to choose for my mobo drivers. They list a few on the intel site.
    Actually, here is the site: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2376

6. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

unfortunately cant help you there, go for the 'linux' option that may give you a tar.gz package that you just config and install,
    is usually all you needa type once you have extracted it all sort thing and navigated to the directory in the comman shell as super user.

7. aviceda

aviceda Member

Hi Insyted,
    I've been using Fedora since Core 1 and on FC5 had Kino running very well, could capture DV from my camera, however I upgraded my PC put FC6 on an now can't get Kino to work. It's probably a 'dependency' problem if you install new programs on linux it's far more trying than windoze, you will frequently find that a new program will require this version of that etc, and I think that's what happened here.
    If you install FC6 you will probably find that many video-files won't work and this is probably due to Fedora's reluctance to involve itself with proprietary software like WMV files. However if you check Fedora Forums you will probably find an 'unofficial' repository where you can download the neccessary files to run these. I've had WMV, MP3 files running on Fedora for years and actually prefer it to using MS mediaplayer. Unfortunately there are still some applications that I prefer to run on XP (Adobe Premiere Elements 3) but I could quite happily use Fedora for most others.
    Tom

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I believe the file you are lacking is the w32codecs package.
    You can get it in the debian.multimedia/ main contrib non-free lists.
    For fedora you will need the tgz version, or have a way to convert a .deb package to an rpm..