1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to record an image on a broken disc?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by aldaco12, Aug 30, 2004.

1. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Hi. I have this question: a CD broke at 4% during recording. Since the image (.CUE / .BIN) I want to burn is large about 50% the disc capacity, I wonder if there's a way to recover this 'bad' disc recording that image on it or if I need a brand new one (since the file I want to burn on it is an [bold]image[/bold], not some single files I could burn in a multisession disc).
    Thanks for the support.

2. starsky

starsky Guest

i was just wondering to myself if this was the right place to look for advice and then i found this post by a "moderator".

If you are a moderator and are asking a question like this then what hope have we for getting answers to solvable problems.

Yes you can burn your multisession image providing that the damaged sectors on the disk are linear and do not span the entire area, either way its a silly thing to do as you might as well just use another disk to save problems further down the line.

no disrespect intended, no actually i did intend disprespect - no offesnse intended

After Dawn - get some moderators who no what they are doing please, this guy is making you look bad

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, no offense taken of course. We 'moderators' are rather expert but we don't know [bold]everything[/bold] (or we should be Nobel prizes and we would have other occupations).

And, yes: this is THE place to look for help. Just be careful to post in the right forum (CD-R, VCD, Audio, X-Box..).

I didn't know that when you save an image if there's something already written on the CD, a multisession CD begins and it's only a question of free space.

Yes, I must confess: we 'moderators' are mortal....

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It shows me he isn't too proud to ask about something he doesn't know. Now he does and others may benefit from it in the future. He also handles utterly pompous ridicule better than I would have.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Allow me to take you to school and back on this one nOOb. Since the "data" is an image, then one can use IsoBuster and extract the "data" of the entire bin and cue file. One can burn multisession two ways, either by buring the bin and cue file formats or extracting each bin and cue file(s), then burn the contents of the data extracted to the folders. No disrespect starsky :)

6. starsky

starsky Guest

whats your point Shoey?

7. starsky

starsky Guest

shoey, i might also add that it is not wise to display "ones" system specifications to the world in your signature. This saves time when looking for a vulnerabilty in your system...

You lot are so easy to spark off...My point was that i came here for advice only to end up answering a moderators questions, its supposed to work the other way round, aldaco12 - i aplogise for making you feel small, i didnt mean to offend.

Nephilim - Kiss my ass!

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for popping in and adding the maturity and intelligence our site was apparently lacking. If I ever need advice on how to be an arrogant prick I know who to ask.

9. starsky

starsky Guest

hahaha, bite me! This is good entertainment

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

OK, I didn't want cause this quarrel among people. My problem was that an image might, for what I knew, have looked for, don't know, CD format label (or something like this..) before being recorded, therefore baing impossible to be burned multisession like a file.
    But, for what I've understood from Shoey, you can burn a CUE/BIN directly (or 'mounting' it, of course, because now you have the files in E:\) even in the CD is partially occupied, therefore creating a sort of 'multisession' disc like when you record some file (losing just the approx. 30 MB space needed to create the next session).

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

D E A C T I V A T E D!

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

THis whole thing is relaly pointless! I want to know the dsame question man, more answerws and less quarrels!! :) please makea messege on reply so i cant find out the truth

sorry for my english i am taiwanese...

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Just gimme some days to organize the stuff (because it was a .CUE/.BIN of a VCD I've already burned on another brand CD, and therefore I'm not sure the 'multisession VCD' made like Shoey suggests works as a brand new VCD). Gimme just a few days to create another .BIN/.CUE of a VCD and burn it.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  14. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, maybe I'm not exactly a newbie. This because, as I was afraid of, when I tried to burn a .CUE/.BIN on my disc broken at 4% this warning appeared "Please insert a blank disc" and the burning aborted.
    Burning an image is NOT like simply burning files and I'm quite confident now that the 'multisession disc' made by images is impossible to burn.
    Shoey, for the same reason I don't think I'll be able to make a new VCD by extracting and burning the files from a 'mounted' image, because the boot sectors made for a VCD are complicated and adding two of them (the 'broken' VCD and the single files from the mounted image) cannot be done like if I added files. I might try it with a CD-RW, but I think I'll keep the 'broken' disc for simple files backups.
    Starsky, I'm sorry for you, but Shoey did it well. We cannot afford people to spam, insult others and so on. There may exist some discussion (like your 'If you are a moderator and are asking a question like this then what hope have we for getting answers to solvable problems', no offense taken even if you were totally wrong about the 'well known' answer and you pratically spoke to me as to a 'incompetent and therefore useless moderator'), but there are precise Forum rules than MUST be respected.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004