1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to use computer without floppy?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by davidhut, Sep 22, 2004.

1. davidhut

davidhut Member

Hello...I'm not really a computer guru or whatever but I'm wanderin' is it possible to install a Operating System without the use of floppy Disk drive?

2. john179

john179 Active member

Yes it is if you are installing windows xp.You just set your cd rom to 1st boot option in your bios with with your hard drive set to 2nd.XP works from a set up cd rom.Windows 95 & 98 normally require a floppy as well ME i use to use a floppy along with.But i have never tried to boot these without a floppy so not 100% sure if they will but i would think not.Windows 2000 is probably possible.

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I disconnected my floppy drive for a long time 'cos i knackered it trying to do a motherboard bios update.
    it didn't cause any problems other than every time I booted up my pc it would remind me that there was no floppy drive installed.
    Talk about women stating the bloody obvious.
    I've put a new one in now and will probably never use it.

4. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I have never had a floppy in my comp I just disabled floppy in the bios never had a problem i hate floppy drives.

5. askyew

askyew Regular member

I have been without the floppy for some time now. I use flash pens because they offer soooo much more space than a floppy. I can even do a bios update with my pen.

6. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

my windows 98 se boots off cd as does my windows me, and windows 2000 havent installed them in a while since i went to xp.