1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wowzers, Nov 13, 2004.

1. wowzers

wowzers Member

Hi all, new-guy here. I am wondering why +r media (ritekG04) will play in a couple of machines but -r media (ritekGo4) wont. I was under the impression that if +r works in a dvd player than definately a -r would. I am using latest nero with a Sony DRU-710A. It is a +,-,RW/+,-R writer (Dual Layer).When my buddy burnt me a copy of a back-up onto a -R media (ritek) it played fine on my dvd player. I copied his media to my hardrive and burnt to -r and no go. So then I tried to make a copy of the same media to a +r and it plays fine in my machine. I am burning as DVD-ROM type.I cant figure out why I cant play a -r when I burn it but can from someone elses burner, yet I can play +r with no probs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......Dave

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey wowzers, This happens to me quite a bit with all the different formats for dvd recording. Most players will play the usual new/rented dvd. I read on one of these forums that they have a format that is pressed in, not burned? Then you have the +r/-r/+rw/-rw/video cd's/cd-r/cd-rws. Then you have data cds (cd-roms/cd-rws containing mp3 audio tracks) I almost forgot super vcds. All these are burned dvd format. Who knows how many more are out there lol. I record in the + r/rw formats only from my pc burner and home dvd recorder. Most people i loan burned movies to can play them, a few can't. All these formats I listed are listed in my sony dvp-ns325 stand alone player. My home dvd burner and apex stand alone players won't play some of my burned dvd's, but my reliable sony will play every thing I burn. You are not the only one frustrated over this problem and hopefully it will get better in the future. I hope this may have helped you out some. bye

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

check out your players compatibility with this chart:http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

4. wowzers

wowzers Member

great.....thanks for the insight. I just ordered a stack of +r media just to have around for players that won't play -r media.I also just read on a sight that some phillips dvd players will not play -r only +r. I notice there is alot of confusion among people reguarding which media to buy, + or -. I read that plus media is slowly taking over. I guess we shall see. Have a good one and thanks for your reply!!!

5. wowzers

wowzers Member

Okay...thanks for the site Jim-dandy.