1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it still possible to obtain Nero 6?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by johne53, Oct 15, 2007.

1. johne53

johne53 Member

I was using Nero 5 very successfully for many years. I only had a CD burner (no DVD burner) so Nero 5 was just fine. Then last week I bought a DVD burner and upgraded to Nero 8. I'm not really interested in all the video & media stuff so I've just installed Nero Burning ROM and the associated tools.

Unfortunately, I'm quite disappointed with Nero 8. It burns the DVDs okay - but I'm having constant problems when shutting down my system (Windows XP). One of the errors relates to NMIndexStoreSvr which (I'm told) is used by the Nero Scout application (whatever that is...)

I'm fairly confident that Nero is the culprit because I've never had any such errors before but I get them consistently since installing Nero 8. Also, if I restore a backup of my partition before I installed Nero 8, the problems go away.

According to several reports, Nero 7 is just as bad (if not worse) than Nero 8 - but version 6 is supposed to be okay. If version 6 can burn DVD's I'd like to give it a try (even if it's a payable upgrade). I need to stick with Nero if possible because I've got a lot of legacy projects in Nero's '.nri' format. Does anyone know if version 6 still downloadable...?

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

johne53,
    I've been using Nero 7 Ultra for quite some time now. I never had any troubles with it. I also tried Nero 8 ,and in my opinion it's pretty unstable.

3. johne53

johne53 Member

So is version 7 still available for download then? I must admit, I've read a lot more complaints about 7 than I've read about 8 (but that's probably just because 7's an older product). Having said that, I haven't read many (indeed any) complaints about version 6.

I doubt that anything older than 8 would still be available from the official site - but surely there's somewhere I can still get 6 or 7?

4. morguex

morguex Guest

I still use nero 6, They will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
    I tried 7, hated it, to many bugs, I'm sure it's better now with the updates.
    I know nero 6 might be a bit outdated, but for what I do it works perfect.
    Johne53, send me a PM.

5. johne53

johne53 Member

Thanks morguex. I just sent you a PM but I didn't see any confirmation to say whether it succeeded or not. If you don't receive it soon, let me known and I'll try again....

6. 56delray

56delray Regular member

7. morguex

morguex Guest

@johne53

Sorry, I meant to send you an e-mail a couple days ago, got kinda busy.
    I'll send you one tonight.

8. johne53

johne53 Member

56delray, thanks for those links. I downloaded Nero 6.6 just to be safe - but oddly enough, the strange shutdown crashing seems to have now stopped. In fact, it hasn't happened at all since my first post here, 5 days ago. When I originally installed Nero 8 (2 weeks ago) my PC was giving problems with almost every shutdown. I'm baffled - but at least I've now got v6.6 as a fallback option. Thanks!