1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it still problematic use a flash drive to update bios for Asus P6t?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wheelstb, Dec 26, 2012.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I bought my motherboard as an open box item 3 years ago or so. I think that bios have need to be updated since I bought the motherboard. When I put the computer to sleep one of the hard drives disappears. Plus it just doesn't seem to start as quickly as it should.

I have avoided updating the BIOS because I want to use the flash drive method to accomplish this .A long while ago I heard that a fair amount of people were running into serious problems when trying to update the bios is a a flash drive.

There is an alternative method to do this but, it involves unplugging the power cord from the wall. I use a wheelchair so it would be very difficult for me to reach this.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to be sure that I do not wind up screwing up my system.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Have you updated the drivers for the HDD controllers?
    I don't know your motherboard, but mine has Intel and JMicron SATA ports so in my case, moving the HDD from an Intel to a JMicron port might pin down the problem.

3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I have not tried that yet, like I mentioned above I use a wheelchair so it is very difficult for me to get down to the computer and hands-on physical manipulation of the components is something I would like to avoid.

But that might be something I need to try. I will try updating the drivers for the hard drives.

Thank you for the help. I will let you know how it goes.

4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Updating the hard drive drivers seems to have done the trick. The computer seems to boot faster and more efficiently than it ever did before.

Thanks for the advice I don't know why I have it stuck in my head that it must have been the bios. For such a simple and quick fix I wish I would have done it a long long long long time ago.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

dummy.

6. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I may be a little bit of a dummy but not completely apparently. :) Updating the drivers has really only fixed one of my problems. I don't have any difficulty putting the computer to sleep anymore.

However, the computer still boots strangely and possibly slowly.

Once I reach the desktop, all the icons are there. Then they are replaced by generic icons then, slowly but surely the original icons repopulate and replace the generic icons.

I thought there was something wrong with this behavior but a similar process happens on my Dell laptop.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

7. attar

attar Senior member

Run msconfig and look under the 'Startup' tab to see how many programs insist on running at startup.

8. ddp

are there new bios updates & if so then what do they fix as might not resolve your problem.

9. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I did not take a look at what exactly they fix because I was afraid of the upgrade process anyway.

Unfortunately, I am completely back to square one. Now my hard drive is disappearing when I put the computer to sleep. I have no idea why it worked for a short period of time.

10. ddp

sata or ide hard drive? what is the make & model# of the motherboard & what bios version number are you using?

11. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks for the help.

sata hard drive
    Asus p6t
    American magatrends 1201, date 2/24/2010

12. ddp