1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it still worth using USENET?

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by wheelstb, Dec 9, 2012.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

With both nzbsrus closed up and NZBmatrix closed up. There is obviously pressure on USENET that has not typically been there.

Is it still safe for the average home user to be using USENET? I typically use it for backing up the PlayStation games that I own and on occasion backing up my DVDs.

2. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

I think its still safe. I also think some of the nzb indexing sites are closing due to the way they present the usenet content with blatant categories for movies, music, etc. The nzb titles for the content are pretty straight forward also....too user friendly.

I've started trying to learn and get better using sites like binsearch.info and nzbindex.nl. They are strippeed down nzb search engines where the user has to type in what they want. There isnt any categories where all the content for a specific area of interest is presented.

As far I know, downloading the content is still pretty safe, uploading is what you should be aware of.

3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

After I took some time to think about and after asking that question. I came to relatively the same conclusion. I think it is the uploading and sharing that is the problem just like you said.

Also, just like you said the sites that are being shut down are the ones that make it extremely easy to find a file. Some of the times it was easier than actually shopping in a retail environment on the web.

I was using AstraWeb. It seems like a lot of the files are being removed. I moved to a free trial of Tweeknews and that seems to be very slow.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

4. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

I
    I havent used anything other than Astraweb for the past 3 years. The speed and the price is top notch. I have also experienced files being removed, but there always seems to be an alternative download with the same content available on another newsgroup.

I also use filestube.com (filehost search engine) to search for content that the newsgroup occasionally doesnt seem to have. Most filehosting sites offer free downloading but usually at a lower speed and limits for the number of downloads you can get within a specific time frame.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks for the info I will have to give that website to try. It used to be that if one file was removed I would be able to find another one but in recent memory if I find one file that has been removed all of the similar files have been removed to.

For example, I wanted to back up a PlayStation game that I have and all of the three or four available rips of the game seem to have been removed.

It looks like demonnews might be the way to go. It Is a Little More Than a Dollar Extra per Month over Astraweb but it has extra features as well. If anyone is interested Google the deeming deal. This brings up the special deal with the special pricing.

6. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

The name of the news provider you are referring to is called "newsdemon". Unless you (or anybody else reading this post)need to back-up several console games per month, getting the non expiring block accounts rather than a monthly subscription may be cheaper for you, I know it is for me. Astraweb offers a 1,000GB block for $50.00 It will take me way over a year to use that much traffic, even with me downloading Wii, 360, and PS3 games occasionally. Newsdemon offers the same 1,000GB for $87.00.

Anyway, go ahead try their service out... Report back if you dont experience the issue with files disappearing.

7. coachclass

coachclass Member

I've been running into completion issues with use newsgroupdirect and Astraweb lately. I think there might be something going on. It seems on several files, the .par2 is consistently missing. They're less worth while if they're taking down files.