1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the media or the dvd player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dknytech, Mar 1, 2005.

1. dknytech

dknytech Member

This is a great forum site that i have been using to answer all my questions for the last few months, but now i have questions that i have not been able to find the answer too, so please help.
    The problem is I installed a Benq 1620 16x dual layer dvd burner in a friends computer, she is using dvd x copy platinum ver. 4.0.3.8. the problem is they will not play back in her stand alone RCA dvd player. She has tried using memorex dvd-r 8x and maxell dvd-r 8x with no luck. I gave her some of my Benq dvd-r 4x and Ridata dvd-r 8x and still no luck with any of these media's in her RCA dvd player it just says "insert dvd". All the backed up dvd's that she has tried will play on the computer with no problems, so i know that the program works and the burner works but could it be the firmware for the burner or is it the media that will not let it play on the RCA player? Forgive me if this is not the right area for this question.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Benq isn't listing any firmware for the 1620. Out of curiosity, the DVD R media that plays on the RCA, is it -R or +R, or a combo of both? Have you tried any of the DVDs recorded with the Benq burner on other standalone players? You should have let us know what model the RCA player is. It may or may not be useful info.

For a DL burner, you will need to use another app other than XCopy. The freeware, DVD Shrink, is capable of recording DL. I use DVDCopy3 from intervideo. They have a trial so you can check the app out. http://www.intervideo.com

To get back on topic; you tried enough different media, so some of it should have worked if it was media. I've seen instances where a different burner will make a difference with a player. I got some discs recorded by a friend that wouldn't work. We used the same manufacturers media of the same format. Same brand PCs. About the only difference was the burner. I could copy the DVDs on my PC and write back with my burner and the files would play. So in that case it was definitely a difference in burners. Plus the compatibility of the RCA could be at issue. That's why I asked if the Benq recorded media played on any other standalone players and if the discs that did play on the RCA were -R media.

3. dknytech

dknytech Member

I also have a benq 1620 burner along with with an lg 4160 burner on my computer and burn my movies with dvd x copy platinum with the benq media and don't have any problems with the media nor the burners. All i know is that her RCA dvd burner is about a year and a half old. The benq media plays on my panosonic, sony, 2 no name and two toshiba dvd players perfectly fine. However the ridata media will not play in my new $200 toshiba dvd player. Would dvd+r possibly work?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Give the +R a try, it can't hurt. Some players are more compatible with +R.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have the benq 1620,built by benq for Iomega. My firmware is B7C9. There are several updates for mine,which I believe is the bulk and last update I searched was G7M9 for bulk and G7T9 for retail units.
    I installed it after last thanksgiving,and started burning right after I got it out of the box,no problems,so I will hold off on the firmware updates.

Try those benq backups on other players like brobear said. My first dvd player was an rca and it was a piece of crap.

Since you have used 4 different brands of media, It sounds like that rca stand alone does not like that particular burn.This is the case I ran into on all 4 of my burners,including my tv homeburner. I use good to great quality media,burn at 4x and have no issues like pixellating,skipping,pausing,unless it is on my memorex +rw discs. I get the No Disc inserted errors right off the bat on 3 of my burners on certain stand alones.
    Since I installed the benq, I have yet to find a player that would not play it's + burns,and 1 sherwood that wouldn't play it's dash burns.

I just got another Iomega 16x over a week ago and notice considerably on those backup players.My benq won't even recognize it on either format-even on ty's., my sony player plays everything I burn regardless of which burner,My apex would only play the dash. My lite-on 167t would only play the dash,and the latest firmware update got my cyberhome dvd recorder to play both formats.
    Weaker laser/Different signature on those burns?

I can read those - discs from that new burner with my lite-on/re-rip them on the fly to my benq and that backup will play anywhere. Does the same thing when I play them in my sony dvd ns-325,record to my cyberhome on the tv,and play them on my apex in bedroom. That apex is my main problem,but plays anything off that benq.

That firmware update may have helped on the cyberhome burner,but that unit is so unpredictable,I can't really say that update helped.

Since you tried several brands of media and formats and getting no disc inserted errors: She is going to have to replace that rca player or get a new burner. I would go with another player,something that has progressive scan and not a high dollar one.The cheaper ones seem to be playing dvdr's a lot better than those fancier ones.

On all those stand alones/pc drives/ps2's/ and my home burner: The +r format if performing flawless"benq". The dash will not play on my dad's older sherwood player. This newer I/O, the dash seems to working a heck of a lot better than the +, but still far below my expectations.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

If anyone needs a good player at a reasonable price, Wal Mart was selling the Philips DVP642 for about $70. They have cheaper ones for about half that, if they're still on sale. The Philips will play anything I throw at it, including CDs. That's cheaper than replacing a burner.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005