1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true I must buy software to watch dvds on dvd player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by joeroni, Feb 1, 2007.

1. joeroni

joeroni Member

Is it true I must buy software to watch dvds on dvd player.
    I have a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S with a nVIDIA GeForce card.
    Well I try to play a dvd i just got called Saw 3. Mediaplayer 11 comes up and cannot play the movie.It says I need a decoder to watch this movie."Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer".When I hit the link it gives me choices for different plugins.Since I have a nVIDIA GeForce card I hit that link.It wants 19 or 49 dollars for the Platinum.Now I have already gotten the decoders of different kinds from other sources BUT I need to know if this is real.Must most people that try to play a movie on a DVD player they buy for 45 dollars also buy software that costs 49 dollars just to use that DVD player.Not to mention the other dvd software like Power Dvd or others.I have other bought programs but like mediaplayer 11.Can someone shed some light on this for me.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

There are free MPEG-2, AC3 and DTS decoders. Also probably half your PC components came bundled with WinDVD or PowerDVD (I know I have maybe 5+ copies) and there are freeware players capable of DVD playback such as Media Player Classic or VLC.

3. joeroni

joeroni Member

Yes I do have many many bundled software Cd's but the everyday people don't.I am just suprised that a person that may buy a computer or a DVD player would have to dish out so much money.And I buy many DVD burners for people.Most nowadays only give you the burner unless you know to ask for the software.I'm talking like what just happened to me.I fresh installed XP.Then updated XP to the max at windows update.Then tried to use mediaplayer 11.It didn't work on dvd movie.I came here but most people would follow mediaplayers link to plugins to find out they must dishout more.I know software for computers are necessary.But buy DVD player.Buy the rights to use mediaplayer.Then buy DVD movie.Then buy decoders too.WOW Just getting out of hand I think.Well I got those links now so Thx celtic_d

4. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

you can even use windows media player

5. joeroni

joeroni Member

Windows media player is what I'm talking about.It didn't want to play the movie I bought.It said "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer".
    Then gave me links to codec plugins that must be paid for.Was there just something wrong with mediaplayer 11 or me. I tried everything.No updates were available and it was ok'd through my firewall.So why didn't it just automaticaly play the movie.I did get codecs that worked Nvidia video decoder since I have a nVIDIA GeForce card I thought it would be the best to try.It worked just fine.I also downloaded a program Microsoft Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility and it showed my nvidia and nero decoders.But nothing from mediaplayer.Done searches and found some for mediaplayer 9 and ten now but like I said Im trying to figure out why version 11 didn't install them automatically.But instead gave me choices of plugins to buy.

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Did your burner come with Nero or Roxio I know they have a movie player in them and SAW 3 might not play on your PC due to the new encryptions try an older movie and Download AnyDVD it free for 21 days run it in the background and then try SAW 3 when you click on the Icon it will be in your tray next to your clock it will turn dark red when its ready

7. signal

signal Guest

You can download AVS Player for free, It will load your disc, further more go and download the tsunami codec pack or the k-light codec pack...this is all you will need...do not download both, just one....stay if you google search codec pack, do not download the Nimo codec pack....it sucks...After you download this media player and the codec pack you should have no prob playing any videos...