1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true Sony will stop making large CRT tube HDTVs?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by VJbob, Aug 18, 2006.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I heard that the Sony KD 34XBR970 will be the last Tube CRT HDTV that it manufactures before moving strictly to LCD. Sony has a great reputation for tube CRT and I (since I can't afford a Pioneer Elite 42" plasma) I wanted one of these for superior standard DVD playback. If these models are the last and will be discontinued I want to buy one (especially at $1000) but if they will make a new generation of them I will wait. Does anybody know if the rumor is true?

Also can anybody else validate that the KD-34XBR970 is a great value TV. The LCDs and Plasma just have terrible DVD playback.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Just about everybody is pulling out of the CRT biz. Look for floor space of tubes to shrink to nothing by 2009. Sony has a following like no other around thier tube technology. To me it would be dumb for the best to stop first. But I have not heard anyting for sure.

Ced

3. kf4zfv

kf4zfv Member

I have the 30" model of this t.v. It is and has been the best at displaying HDTV and reg. t.v. that I have ever seen. Paid 999$ for it; the 32" was 1499$. Live in a mobile home so the 30" was just right. Be sure that the model you buy has a built in HDTV tuner.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I've got a friend with a Sony 36" CRT (methinks its 36 anyway) ... anyway, a grande piano is easier to move than that beast.

5. kf4zfv

kf4zfv Member

The 30" that I have is the "SUMO" model. Had to hire some hispanic homys to bring it in. the paper work said 275#s. good set though. and they are going to phase the crts out, thats why I bought it.