1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it windows or my monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tripplite, May 15, 2007.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

This just Happened out of the blue, i never "over used" my computer, everything was fine until when every I shut off the monitor and left the computer running, when i would come back the screen would be the same but i can't move the mouse or do any tasks, it's frozen, but as long as i am using it or as long as i leave the monitor on everything is fine.

Is it my crappy dell monitor or windows???
    I went into power settings and hibernate is off?? along with anything that could be disturbing this???

pleaze i need help!!!

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

I doubt your monitor is bad from the sounds of it. Possibly your HDD is set to hibernate. But you said you still have a screen when you turn on the monitor. If your screen is blank and your HDD is in hibernate it can take some time for it to "unfreeze". If your HDD isn't in hibernate then you could have a program running that has a memory leak causing things to freeze. What are your system specs (mb, vid, mem, OS, etc)and what do you having running in the background when you leave it sit?

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

It looks like you may have a start up program that is taking alot of your computers resources and you may need to disable that at the startup and then see if that speeds up and unfreezes the process.

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

yes along time ago i got ride of all my start up programs ( i log in in 13 sec's ya) I have 1 gig of ram, Intel Pent 4, XP S2, and a 60 gig external hardrive that is power through usb (universal cearl Bus), I run a certain program that downloads files over night (wink wink) when i turn off my monitor, But you see i always left this program running , never before had this happened?

if anyone needs more info to answer my problem please ask

borhan9- let it be known you support the best soccer team in all of england

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  5. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

After reading this you may really have to look at your power settings cause this is the only thing that can cause this that comes to my mind. Maybe turn it all off or just put it on the default settings.

In regards to the Man Utd team Yest they are the best team but it is due to one man and thats Sir Alex Ferguson he has shown over the years that with hard work and patience everything will work out. Mind you I am not in England I am an Aussie. But I do have a great taste :)

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well I'm glade you know what team to root for, another member suggested to me that i should make a recovery disc and this would fixes this, can anyone help me, how do you make a recovery disc, and if you can expand on all the effects of it +/-
    thanx's in advance

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  7. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Not sure how u can make a recovery disc but u should have one if you bought your computer otherwise try doing a system restore.