1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth getting hd-dvd or blu ray if the best my tv can do is 1080i?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Magdylite, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Magdylite

Magdylite Member

Or it might be 720p but upconverts to 1080i in any case will hd dvd be all that better?

2. Magdylite

Magdylite Member

here are the specs on my tv

sonys hi-scan 1080i tvs accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external hdtv receiver or a compatible high definitions digital satellite reciever. it also accept 480 pressive(480p) scanning lines from compatible dvd video sources.

will it be worth it to get the hd dvd attachment to the xbox360?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16874103051

another thing what is my x360 running at?

3. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

no jus stick with a up-converting dvd player

4. BobbyBlu

BobbyBlu Guest

Yes you should get a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player if you like a very clear picture and Hi-end sound out of HDMI.Upconvert's are nice but it dont come close to either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

5. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

it good to get the blu ray or hd-dvd but for his tv a up conversion is good enough bluray plays 1080p and his tv goes to 1080i so it best to get the up conversion for his tv

6. error5

error5 Regular member

I agree with BobbyBlu. You don't need a 1080p TV to enjoy the benefits HD-DVD and BluRay. Even with a 720p/1080i set - especially with screen sizes 40 inches and above - you will see a big improvement in picture quality over upconverted DVD's. It is a common misconception that you need a 1080p display to get the full benefits of the new HD formats. Wait for the price cut announcement from HD DVD at this week's CES.

7. BobbyBlu

BobbyBlu Guest

Don't get loss in this 1080p hype, dont get me wrong i support Blu-Ray but if you got a good 1080i or 720p set thats just as good.I have a 1080i Sony-KDFE42A10 in my Bedroom and Blu-Ray look very good on that set.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I agree with BobbyBlu and error5. I have the HD-A1 and the PS3 and both look great on my 1080p SXRD but they also look mighty sweet on my 720p Panasonic front projector. If you have any decent HDTV I think you'll appreciate the improvement in PQ with BluRay and HD-DVD.

9. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

There's a lot of ignorance on this site re upconverting vs actual HD media. Upconverting adds NO more information then is on the disk. All it does is do what your TV would do anyways, but since it's a dedicated solution, it will in some cases do it better then your TV. But if you have a decent TV, you will get NO benefit from an upconverting DVD player. And even if you have a smaller decent TV, the difference will still be tiny. I'd be willing to bet that all the people saying a upconverting dvd player puts out a picture as good as an HD-DVD player have never even seen an HD-DVD player in a decent viewing environment, and have certainly never done blind a/b tests comparing HD-DVD vs Upconverting dvd player vs a dvd player sending out 480i/480p.

But the answer to your question is that HD-DVD kicks the crap out of dvd for PQ and AQ. It's no comparison really. And actually, if you follow some of the tests that home theater enthusiasts have put together on some of the larger hometheater forums like avsforum.com, where they compared high end 1080p projectors against 720p projectors, they found that the increased resolution was barely noticable. Resolution is only one part of what makes up great PQ. And the bottom line is that HD-DVD on a 720 tv looks fantastic, and is well worth the modest buy in price.

10. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

tru but his tv is only 1080i and i can notice the dif from a 720p to 1080p having a hd-dvd player and a ps3 and a tv set at a native 1080p may be because i am smart and the avg consumer well is dumb and doesn't notice these differences so i recommend for big money saving jus get the up converting and in a year or two go get that blu-ray or hd-dvd what ever one wins

11. error5

error5 Regular member

I bet the average consumer still knows how to spell and how to use punctuation.

Sorry guys - I just couldn't resist. ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  12. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

guess what its a forum no one ever uses proper grammer and sh!t + some of us have a life u can sit at your computer all day editing everyones post ps get a life

Peace out Hater

13. error5

error5 Regular member

I rest my case.

14. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I can tell you that my Toshiba HD-A1 looks way better then my upconverting Sony DVD player at 720P, it also does a way better job of upconverting then the Sony does.. Go for it man, take the plunge and enjoy HD-DVD and lossless audio, believe me you won't be dissapointed.. I managed to notice the difference on my 32" LCD, now on my 42" plasma my jaw dropped in amazement, i couldn't beleive how beautiful the picture was with HD-DVD and Blu-ray...Trust me there is a difference...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  15. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Yes, just because it can't do 1080p doesn't mean pictures won't look better on 1080i or 720p. I would get HD dvd rather than blu ray. cause of the quilty and other stuff, But they both can work with 1080i.

16. BobbyBlu

BobbyBlu Guest

NO,NO Blu-ray & HD-DVD plays on whatever the highest channel your set support.1080p or 1080i or 720p.You can choose which one you want to watch.

17. kingdoug

kingdoug Member

I agree with BobbyBlu. You don't need a 1080p TV to enjoy the benefits HD-DVD and BluRay. Even with a 720p/1080i set - especially with screen sizes 40 inches and above - you will see a big improvement in picture quality over upconverted DVD's. It is a common misconception that you need a 1080p display to get the full benefits of the new HD formats. Wait for the price cut announcement from HD DVD at this week's CES.[/quote]

yea but how about if u have a tv smaller than 40 inches? smaller than 30?