1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it worth getting the extended waranty for lcd flat panel at best buy?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mikej3131, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

I know it is worth it for rear projections because of the free bulb replacement but is it worth spending the extra cash on an extended warranty for an lcd flat panel?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

hell yes! and here is why.
    I bought a 56" Samsung DLP TV and they told me the projection TV's need to be cleaned once a year, costing $100
    The bulbs if they need replacing are like $300 if you get them from Best Buy and like $110 plus shipping on the cheapest website i found.
    Plus any other repairs you may need, what other repairs you may ask, well listen to my story and you will see that you better either buy that warranty or buy your TV somewhere else. And lastly do not leave that store without spending the extra $150 on an AC filtering surge protector or you will be sorry later. It is a special surge protector and yes they start at around $140, if it is cheaper than that do not buy it. Ok so on to the story.

I bought the above TV from Best Buy on February 3rd and it was delivered the 4th. The Tv was the pride of my livingroom and the envy of all my friends. It worked for a whole 4 weeks before it just went off for no reason. First they say it si the buld because they are told that 99% of the time that is what the problem is when one stops working. So i make an appointment, wait a week, get the service guy to finally come out there and he doesn't even have the bulb for that TV. So now i wait another 3 days for him to send it to me so i can install it, which turns out not to fix anything.
    So i call for another appointment for which i will have to wait 3 more days to get the service tech out to the house. NOw they say it is the ballist, because when i called him he said that i was the 5th person who he did a bulb replacement for, or sent a bulb to, that has called him saying it did not fix anything. Well the day of the appointment finally come and he calls me and tells me, yet once again, that they do not have the part and have to order it. So here is another 3 days wait for the part and 2 more days until he can get out to fix it. i talk with him last Friday and he says it is shipping today i should have it Monday or Tuesday (of this week). So i make an appointment Tuesday to get him out to the house today and fix it. This morning i get yet another call saying that he is cancelling on me for the second strait time because he doesn't have the part, tells me yet again thet it will be shipping today and that he should have it Monday or Tuesday of next week and will get my TV fixed as soon as he gets it, i am on the top of his list he tells me.
    I called the store manager where i bought it and they will not replace it, they basically beg me to be patient with them and let them get the part and take care of me. Be patient they say, you mean like waiting these past 3 weeks and getting canceled on twice was not being patient. So after a 1/2hr of fighting, knowing that they are not going to replace it, i agree to give them one last chance.
    i actually left out a few different, very frustrating detail. Like how many calls you will have to make to the 1-800-Best-Buy number to get anything at all done. I vow never to buy another thing from Best Buy as long as i live. And this is coming from a loyal Best Buy customer who has bought things there for years now. It was the first place i went for anything electronic, now it will be the last!

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

wow, i was talking about flat panels, but il be sure to jot that down when i purchase a rear projection lol.

4. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Well i never own lcd t.v. But it suppose to last 10years. If i were you i woulndn't.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006