1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DarkmanX, Aug 29, 2004.

1. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I have held off on downloading the new Microsoft Service Pack, cuz I think they'll probably be bugs or some unknown issues that will need to be addressed. Is it worth updating with this service pack? I understand that it is primarily for security, and I have Zonealarm, a Hardware Firewall, and Norton Systemworks and a builtin popup blocker with Google toolbar. I know that it will changer a lot of settings and I will have to reconfigure a my computer. Are there any issues that have been identified?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've no interest in it.

My PC is working fine and I have adequate security (except in drchips' eyes) so it's useless to me.

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

A couple of my mates have had serious issues with it.
    Three of them have had to re-install xp from scratch as it's crashed their pc's completely.
    I downloaded the version for IT professionals and installed it with no problems at all. The file size was about 226Mb. I burned it onto a cd for my mate to install and it crashed his pc.
    He re-installed xp from scratch and waited for the proper download (about 80Mb) via windows update.
    When it arrived it crashed his system again. So he's staying well away from it.
    My local computer shop built two identical systems and put sp2 into both. One was fine and the other one crashed. Explain that..!

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Just a thought - tell your mate to Ghost his PC - it will save loads of time - I downloaded SP2 IT Version 226 Mb on my Dell Laptop - no problem.

Phil

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

SP2 installed thru Microsoft Update with no problems !!

Updated all the PC's on our network (98 of them)-- All working as before without any problems.

6. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

New update on my mates computer.

I told him to take it back to the shop and get them to look at it about the update issue and the fact that it had a 3.2Ghz Prescott in it but was only running at 2.8Ghz.
    They put a Celeron chip in there temporarily and loaded Sp2 without any problems at all. They have ordered a new chip which is coming today. It's a 3.2Ghz Northwood which is supposed to be faster.
    So it was all down to the processor.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

7. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi

I have successfully updated three of the eight family computers with SP2.
    I have found the update has corrected a few minor glitzes that exist in these computers.
    There is an driver update for running hard drives on firewire with the Texas instrument chip and the write delay error code. This is suppost to be fixed in XP2
    There are issues with running a virtual drive and the ATAPI.sys driver when updating. Unloading the virtual drive fixes the update problem. Reinstall the drive after the update and you are back in business.
    XP has problems with some IDE chipset drivers. SP2 seems to resolve some of those problems.

SP2 is not only about Internet and computer security. But also updating some of the drivers that run some of the processes to reflect todays computer hardware.

I am glad I have started to update. Hopefully the other five machines will update as smoothly as the first three. But with Microsoft .......

My two cents Canadian

8. drchips

drchips Active member

!LOL!
    Talk about living dangerously!!!!

Anyone doing that on our network would be taken out back, shot, and the body dumped in the canal (ok, maybe pushing it a bit, but the last guy who did that on our systems was sacked on the spot, nothing went wrong with the update or he would have been looking at a jail sentence)

- EVERY UPDATE is tested fully on a small, seperate network of sacrificial machines and verified before it is let loose on our systems....

SP2 breaks too many things.

9. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

I agree with drchips that one must be careful on applying an update at large as this one. I tried the update on a restoration machine to ensure the file that I downloaded would work. The glitches on the other machine forced me to update soon than I had planned. Both these machines were just rebuilt a couple of weeks ago and I would have been able to reinstall XP if the update failed. The rest of the machines will be updated later this year when their scheduled restore/rebuild time. By Christmas all will be updated and I will have some time to test and ensure there are no problems