1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is memorex crap? or is my burner?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by janedee, Jan 6, 2005.

1. janedee

janedee Member

so i have been repeatedly trying to burn audio tracks onto memorex 52x700mb80min cd's and I am getting more irked by the disc. I am stopping everything until I get some feedback. It burns successfully, and I even set the speed lower as recommended to me by others, but when I go to play the cd here is what happens:
    IN THE BOOMBOX-
    I don't know if it is just because this cd player is so old, but it reads NO DISC each time. on to the next attempt....
    IN THE CAR STEREO
    I have a Dodge Neon with a factory model stereo, however all the other cd's a play (burned or not) will work, even the most hideously scrathed ones. These however, will play the first couple tracks(with the scratchiest sound imaginable)and then refuse to read the rest of the CD.
    IN THE CD-DRIVE
    probably the best quality of the three, but still scratchy none the less.

Do you think this is an internal burner problem, or is it the media? I have been searching for solutions on random sites all day, and the good people at the computer stores want me to bring in the discs to test them? what should I do. I havent tried any other brands, but i'm wondering if it's worth buying memorex again..I don't want to waste money, I JUST WANNA LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!!!
    Thank you
    Jane

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Three suggestions to start off with:

1: Update the firmware for your drive to the latest revision. Firmware can be found at either Memorex's website or here http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php .

2: If you haven't done so already, lower the burn speed to something on the order of 24X and keep going slower until it works.

3: If the above steps don't work try better media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DataLifePlus AZO.

3. janedee

janedee Member

thank you for you're input. I am going to try what you suggested. i have already turned the speed down, but alas, i was trying to play a regular cd earlier today and it wouldn't even read it.. i am thinking i might need to replace my CDrom..Thank you much for your comment. Anymore from anyone and i'd be much appreciative.
    Jane