1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my 120Hz LCD really in 120Hz?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by BigRon23, Oct 6, 2009.

1. BigRon23

BigRon23 Member

Sorry if I sound like an hdtv newb -- but I am one... I just bought my first HDTV last week (LC-52D85UN, Sharp Aquos 52" LCD 120Hz). I absolutely love the tv, but I want to make sure I am getting the best picture out of it. I've got the HDMI cord plugged in and the picture looks crisp (MLB and NFL games look awesome, while NHL games look pretty good but there is still a little "blur" when the puck moves fast). I heard recently that all 120Hz tvs are really in 60Hz unless you "add" a Blue-Ray DVD player? Is that true? Or am I really watching 120Hz refresh rate right now? If I do need to use a Blue-Ray player, are tv shows going to be in 120Hz or just blue-ray movies? Please help clear this up for me. Thanks.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You have the manual? Read it. Being set to 120 Hz has nothing to do with adding a Blu-Ray player.

3. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

most cable tv sources, even HD cable, are broadcast at 60hz.
    Make sure your HDMI cable supports 120hz.

the only real benefit of 120Hz vs 60Hz is noticed when watching sources that output at 24Hz....mostly blu-rays

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Not true. LCDs had to go to 120Hz to help mitigate the motion lag inherent in the technology. Those watching high action TV sports were often treated to disappearing golf balls, tennis balls etc.