1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my 2001 space oddessy HD dvd faulty

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rogue212, Jul 4, 2008.

1. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, just bought 2001 in HD but at the start i'm seeing strange awful oblong artifacts in the sky, is my disc faulty or is it my Toshiba ep30 player, or just part of an old film converted to HD.

It's not a patch on my xbox add on HD player, it's just so grainy, any ideas anybody, i'll get there one day.

2. tony0209

tony0209 Guest

removed by loco

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  3. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Updated that FW on your player? What type of tv do you have? If it's an LCD, could be that it has a slow response time. Are the artifacts that bad?

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

abra cadabra

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Man, you are starting to remind of of David Blaine, maybe even Harry Houdini.

6. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, i'm sorry i havin't responded, i normally get an e-mail to say i've had a reply.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 LCD tv and a Toshiba EP30KB, yes the artifacts are terrible, i've never seen this type of artifact before.

It appears at the start of the film in about four scenes, always in the sky, i havin't watched it all the way through yet as i assumed the dvd was faulty, but there are other sky scenes that are fine, there's also blurring all around the edges.

I was trying to find out if anybody else had the same film and the artifacts in the HD version and weather this was due the film being old and pooly upscaled to HD, but it got good reviews in HD format.

I have read that the studio's will replace faulty HD dvd's but that doesn't seem to be the case, i can't get any response from warner brother's, thanks for your reply.

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Your tv's native resolution is 1366 x 768 (720p), maybe that has something to do with it. You tv is downscaling the 1080 image to 720, so maybe so? Also, it has a decent response time of 8ms, it's better IMO to find one with a faster response time, but 8ms shouldn't give you that bad of an image. Are the jaggies really bad? If so, maybe it is the DVD.

Read this article below, they didn't seem to have any problems:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/241/2001aspaceodyssey.html

Maybe someone else can chime in here and give you some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  8. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, no there isn't any jaggies that i've noticed, my Toshabi has one other bad point, compared to my xbox hd player it exaggerates noise very badly, where there's hardly any noise on my planet earth dvd when played on my xbox it,s terrible on the Tosh.

To be more specific, if there's a part or a scene on any dvd that has or is noisy the Tosh makes it five times as bad, not sure if the Tosh is doing a good job, by showing everything in extreme detail, or is just a poor player, may-be the xbox player uses some sort of automatic noise reduction?,

Do you think warner bro's will exchange the dvd as i've read they should if it's faulty, thanks.