1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my burner broken??? Help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by senzuri, Mar 6, 2005.

1. senzuri

senzuri Member

I have a I/O Magic 16X External USB 2.0 Dvd+-RW/+-R
    Dual Format Double Layer Burner. I've had my burner for about 3 months and made about 100+ sucessful burns. Recently i've gotten stuck. I get this message:

I/O Error
    Device:[0:0:0] Atapi DVD DD 2X16X4X16X B7c9 (K:) (USB)
    ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition
    CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 0 31
    Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 73 02 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
    Interpretation: Power Calibration Area Is Full

Please help me...Thanks
    Scott

2. senzuri

senzuri Member

I forgot to say that i get this message after trying to burn with DVD Decrypter.

3. senzuri

senzuri Member

And using DVD+R

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What is the brand name and speed rate on your Dvd + media?

If you changed anything on your media like different spindles/brand names/speed differences-usually you'll have a different manufacturers code. This usually leads to a power calibration error,not always though.

Dvd decrypter will give you the mfg code on those discs you are trying to burn. Also run a few from the successful discs and see if you have different mfg id's.Your firmware may need an update.

5. senzuri

senzuri Member

The Brand is Memorex
    Speed 4X

Where do i find the mfg code??? Is it the disc ID???
    And please define firmware. Is that something i can do online??? Thanks

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Memorex +4x: very unpredictable, many different manufacturers.They like to use lower quality manufacturers,so you have to watch for the good ones,very hard to do.

You can also get that mfg code,"ID" using dvdinfopro,you can get the free trial here: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Firmware: It's the programming on your dvd-rw drive that tells the burner what media it is allowed to burn/how fast to burn it/and all the variety of speeds you can burn it at.
    You can look up your burner's firmware at the brand's main website. You need to know exact model #/your present firmware version/and what is the latest update. There is some risk to this update,so be cautious if you decide on this update.

I/O is famous for using different manufacturers for their dvd burners. I bought 2 -I/O magic internal 16x burners in the last 3-4 months, first one is a benq 1620,the new one I got 2 weeks ago is an EMPA.

I did notice on your error report,your firmware version is B7-C9. That is the exact firmware on my benq 1620-BULK- "I/O magic 16x",what a coinsidence.It burns great,have not had any brands of media it wouldn't recognize,so I won't update the firmware yet.There are newer updates though.

I refuse to use memorex! I have no problems with any maxell's,regardless of which format/spindle-pack size/and 4x or 8x speed ratings. They have excellent manufacturers and I burn a ton of their +4x.I also keep my burn speed at 4x regardless! Those sony +1x-8x will burn at 16x on this firmware version.That's my main problem, all this newer 8x media is capable of burning 12x and 16x if I ignore my burn settings.

You may want to give those maxell's a shot,try a 3 or 5 pack.

7. senzuri

senzuri Member

saugmon...
    I'll take your advise and try maxell. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me with my problem.
    Thanks and Happy Burning:)
    Scott

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No problem scott, looks like memorex may have done to you like they have many other people.

How did those memorex id codes check out?
    Prodisc are their better ones/c-mags are the ones to watch out for.

9. senzuri

senzuri Member

Well i do have the Prodisc ones. I've tried using a Verbatim one that someone gave me and it worked fine. Maybe its just the batch that i got. Anyway one more question...how are TDK DVDR's any good???Just curious...thanks
    Scott

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Looks like tdk dash r's have some very good manufacturers. Caution on the tdk plus r's, I did notice c-magnetics is one of their manufacturers.

I use the tdk +rw's,but haven't tried any of their r's. When I come across a sale on them, I will look on the label for "made in japan",so i won't get a hold of those cmags. Japan makes the finest media.

check out dogbomb's thread on "fine list of media codes" in the dvd-r media forum.It's on the first page and about 4 threads down from the top.